Deadwood

The Monkey

The actor of Richardson passed recently iirc :( 

Nooo, that's terrible to hear :( I loved him as Richardson. His scenes with E.B. were my favorite thing about Deadwood. It won't be the same without him. Damn, man...

The actor of Richardson passed recently iirc :( 

Damn, that sucks. 

Your avatar made me think, Olyphant or someone else involved will have the sense to suggest Goggins as a new character, right?

Goggins reciting Milchian dialogue would give me an eargasm. 

It does seem like to good an opportunity to pass on. I also want Garret Dillahunt to appear as character number 3.

And Mads Mikkelsen because why not. Or Bryan Cranston.

Starting to get excited now.

• 6 months later...
5 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

http://collider.com/deadwood-movie-update/

nothing that new here. Some dude asked the HBO guy about the deadwood movie and the response was that David is writing it. 

Wonder if American Gods will be a conflict for McShane? 

I also know the actress that played Trixie is on Ray Donovan, but other than those two I would think most of the cast in pretty open. Hopefully. 

Ten years and Deadwood is returning. Looking at you Valve...

We thinking there'll be a time jump? I can't really see how there can be, there seemed like there was too much tension to let too much time pass. Hope the cast are all growing their facial hair out.

Just watched the last episode again. George Hearst is such a glorious bastard. Richardson and Aunt Lou were lovely, RIP.

2 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Wonder if American Gods will be a conflict for McShane? 

I also know the actress that played Trixie is on Ray Donovan, but other than those two I would think most of the cast in pretty open. Hopefully. 

Given the current stage the "return" is (and note how the HBO guy still hasn't greenlit it until he's read the script) I think it's a little too soon to worry about scheduling conflicts with various cast members. If it's a movie I don't see it interfering with 13 episode season shows - as long as they are all in the same season schedule.

1 hour ago, The BlackBear said:

Ten years and Deadwood is returning. Looking at you Valve...

We thinking there'll be a time jump? I can't really see how there can be, there seemed like there was too much tension to let too much time pass. Hope the cast are all growing their facial hair out.

Just watched the last episode again. George Hearst is such a glorious bastard. Richardson and Aunt Lou were lovely, RIP.

Not sure on the time-jump either. On the one hand it would be nice to carry on and resolve some of the issues from the "finale". The other approach, which may be cleaner if the intention is to make an accessible film (even from the point of folk who have seen the show and don't want to watch the show again), is to set it between 6 months and a year later. The benefit of this is it allows some wiggle room for actors who aren't available (I'm guessing some could even be dead - and I've forgotten) and whose absence would be noticed if a direct continuation. The could always recast too given its been a decade.

11 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

http://collider.com/deadwood-movie-update/

nothing that new here. Some dude asked the HBO guy about the deadwood movie and the response was that David is writing it. 

Yeah that could take a while given Milch's process. 

A group of Luck’s writers, interns, and various others, predominantly young and female, were waiting for Milch outside a darkened room in his Santa Monica offices. They resembled vestal virgins. Milch entered, arranged some cushions, and lowered himself to the floor. He assumed a position to accommodate his bad back: head propped up on one arm, one leg bent awkwardly at the knee so that the foot faced upward. It was not unlike an especially awkward male pinup pose.
In front of Milch, at eye level, was a computer screen. At a desk to his right sat a typist/transcriber and the assigned writer of that episode’s script, taking notes. The vestal virgins filed in and silently occupied the couch and chairs behind Milch. He called for the writer’s first draft of a scene to be put up on the screen and began to dictate.
“Is it better ‘This is how church is lately now, too’?” he said. “I like that better.”
“Yeah,” said the writer.
“‘This is how church is lately now, too.’ Go forward. Stop. Go forward.” The cursor dutifully followed his directions, and the gallery followed along.
Milch described this process as “problems of spirit turned into problems of technique.” Laying hands on the keyboard himself, he explained, would be too powerful a trigger for his obsessive-compulsive tendencies

• 4 weeks later...

Kim Dickens appears to be returning, and Milch is at least planning for Tolliver and Jane to return.

“I know he’s writing,” says Dickens. “I know lots of us have had out lunches with him. I’ve had my lunch with him, personally.”

“We sat at lunch and he read a few scenes to me between Stubbs, Tolliver, and Jane,” reveals Dickens. “He read all the parts. It was amazing, it was funny, it was sad. It was all that it was.”

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/08/30/kim-dickens-deadwood-david-milch

5 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Picture going from reading fear the walking dead scripts to deadwood. 

I think she'd need to do some acting stretches before making that transition - she could seriously hurt herself.

5 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Picture going from reading fear the walking dead scripts to deadwood. 

That must be a serious improvement for an actor, let's face it, nearly anything is better than Fear the Walking Dead, but Deadwood?, you really can't get any better, except The Wire which is its equal.

27 minutes ago, Lord Sidious said:

That must be a serious improvement for an actor, let's face it, nearly anything is better than Fear the Walking Dead, but Deadwood?, you really can't get any better, except The Wire which is its equal.

Both are very different but at the top of their games. I'd say "the wire" is very good at not sounding like dialogue while "deadwood" is incredibly stylised. Shakespeare like levels of stylised.

update

Now I'm wondering how it would feel to go directly from Deadwood to something like "the strain".

2 hours ago, red snow said:

Both are very different but at the top of their games. I'd say "the wire" is very good at not sounding like dialogue while "deadwood" is incredibly stylised. Shakespeare like levels of stylised.

Agreed, these two shows are personally what I consider the best ever.

Not only would I put Deadwood with the elite shows of all-time --and thanks to this message board for suggesting the binge watch--  But dare I say that it's premature cancellation, without having been resolved, is among the greatest entertainment tragedies in the history of things that don't really effect your life, but just suck in a big way...

#JustMakeThisFuckingMovieAlready

6 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

Not only would I put Deadwood with the elite shows of all-time --and thanks to this message board for suggesting the binge watch--  But dare I say that it's premature cancellation, without having been resolved, is among the greatest entertainment tragedies in the history of things that don't really effect your life, but just suck in a big way...

#JustMakeThisFuckingMovieAlready

Definitely

14 hours ago, Lord Sidious said:

Agreed, these two shows are personally what I consider the best ever.

Given the amount of good shows out there - it's a testament to them both that they are still at the front of my thoughts whenever asked "best TV shows". I loved Breaking Bad but the first series was hard work after bingeing "the wire"

The fact Deadwood rates so highly yet was unfinished says a lot too. That show got me into an entire genre and period of history.

2 hours ago, red snow said:

Definitely

Given the amount of good shows out there - it's a testament to them both that they are still at the front of my thoughts whenever asked "best TV shows". I loved Breaking Bad but the first series was hard work after bingeing "the wire"

The fact Deadwood rates so highly yet was unfinished says a lot too. That show got me into an entire genre and period of history.

I think Breaking Bad is a decent show but personally it never really struck a chord with me, I certainly wouldn't consider it amongst the greatest shows ever, and while it had some good characters it also had some really annoying ones.

Archived