Deadwood

The Monkey

I liked John From Cincinnati. Not at first, but I would encourage anyone who loved Deadwood to give it a chance. It's not interested in explaining itself, but you've still got Milch dialogue and (at least) four Deadwood actors. It gets better on a re-watch the same way deadwood does. 

I wonder what happened with Luck. They blamed the cancellation on concerns over horse welfare, Apparently two died. Still Game of Thrones must use way more horses in more dangerous situations. So that always seemed like a bad excuse for cancelling it.. 

12 hours ago, RumHam said:

I wonder what happened with Luck. They blamed the cancellation on concerns over horse welfare, Apparently two died. Still Game of Thrones must use way more horses in more dangerous situations. So that always seemed like a bad excuse for cancelling it.. 

I believe it was actually 3 horses that died. 2 during season 1 and then a third during the filming of what would have been the season 2 premiere. According to Milch they went above and beyond as far as safety goes, but when you have as many horses around as they did accidents are going to happen, and that's a lot of bad publicity to deal with. Of course, if those horses had been involved in actual racing instead of making a TV show many more would have died over the same time period. It's a shame, I think Luck was just starting to get comfortable with what it was towards the end of that season, if it had had another it may have turned into something really great. Also, I'd never seen the dude from Iron Eagle in anything else before!

16 hours ago, RumHam said:

I liked John From Cincinnati. Not at first, but I would encourage anyone who loved Deadwood to give it a chance. It's not interested in explaining itself, but you've still got Milch dialogue and (at least) four Deadwood actors. It gets better on a re-watch the same way deadwood does. 

I guess there havan't been any horse-related deaths on GOT? It did same a strange excuse given how often stunt-people die on films yet continue production. But if Milch likes horses it's perfectly understandable.

Apparently the first "confirmation" of a Deadwood movie came back in January of 2016, so assuming it does come to fruition, it wouldn't surprise me if it didn't come out until 2020. I'm wondering if they're going to kill off Al as a way of concluding the story. I'm also curious about how they're going to handle the Doc. Are they just going to say he managed to live with TB for ten years? Hopefully he's still a part of the story in some form. 

2 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Apparently the first "confirmation" of a Deadwood movie came back in January of 2016, so assuming it does come to fruition, it wouldn't surprise me if it didn't come out until 2020. I'm wondering if they're going to kill off Al as a way of concluding the story. I'm also curious about how they're going to handle the Doc. Are they just going to say he managed to live with TB for ten years? Hopefully he's still a part of the story in some form. 

I think we have to assume Doc would already be dead. But if Dillahunt can play two (hopefully three?) different characters I don't see why Dourif can't return as someone else. 

37 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I think we have to assume Doc would already be dead. But if Dillahunt can play two (hopefully three?) different characters I don't see why Dourif can't return as someone else. 

Is there any possibility for flashbacks? There weren't any on the show, but I think they could still work. As devastating as Doc's death would have been to watch, I do feel like he deserves a proper farewell. (And I definitely think it would be hilarious to bring Dillahunt back as a third character).

• 1 month later...

Nice. I still don't wanna get too excited though. Mostly cause Milch is a weird guy with a colorful history and I would not be at all shocked if someone accused him of sexually harassing them at some point. 

35 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

That seems like a weird reason to not get excited. Hollywood is full of those bastards ya but I don’t think you can go around assuming every person in the business is a sexual predator. 

I don't. I'm specifically concerned that sometime while coked out of his mind years back Milch may have done something inappropriate and that if it comes to light HBO will cancel the movie. 

49 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I don't. I'm specifically concerned that sometime while coked out of his mind years back Milch may have done something inappropriate and that if it comes to light HBO will cancel the movie. 

Ya, I was thinking the same thing -- will somebody central to the project be found out as yet another of the endless cascade of sexual abusers?

Paula Malcomson, who played “Trixie the Whore” opposite Ian McShane’s F-bomb spewing Al Swearengen on the beloved series, recently told TVLine that the two-hour continuation is “a big Valentine” to the pair.

Really not excited for a movie if it focuses on the Trixie/Al relationship as a thing. That's pretty played out, IMO. The idea that Trixie would still be fixated on Al, incapable of moving on because of his magnetic personality, seems tired and tropey.

I won't get my hopes up. Deadwood is in the same category as Winds of Winter, Doors of Stone and numerous other titles. I'll believe it when I see it. I would love for it to happen, but I'll wait and see.

2 hours ago, mormont said:

Really not excited for a movie if it focuses on the Trixie/Al relationship as a thing. That's pretty played out, IMO. The idea that Trixie would still be fixated on Al, incapable of moving on because of his magnetic personality, seems tired and tropey.

Yeah this was my thought too. It's been done enough and we have Trixie moving on to Sol. Seems like a backward and uninteresting step to go back to that relationship even if it's meant to induce nostalgia. Not sure how you handle a 2 hour movie in general and it will sorely lack Cy Tolliver and the Farnum/Richardson interactions. 

5 hours ago, mormont said:

I agree that this sounds neither fun nor interesting.

On 11/13/2017 at 2:23 PM, mormont said:

I completely agree. I really enjoyed Trixie's relationship with Sol, so to have a movie come out a decade later only to put an end to a relationship that had promise would be a terrible decision, at least to me anyway. Plus, even though Trixie and Al remained friends, one of the things about Trixie's arc was her moving away from being his pawn and becoming an independent person. Lest we forget, Al nearly beat Trixie to death in the series premiere. 

Granted, saying something is a "valentine" to a pair of characters doesn't necessarily mean it's a romantic relationship. Or at least that's what I'm hoping is the case. 

Archived