The most unlikely prophet - Owen the Oaf?

FittleLinger

Hello again to everybody, I am returning after a lengthy period of not visiting the forums. Glad to be with you again.

So, I was rereading ASOS and in a Jon chapter when they are preparing the defense of the Wall, Owen the Oaf, a NW brother, tells Jon that he dreamt that the king is coming to save them. Owen is a guy who still thinks the King is Robert and cannot remember that he's dead, so he's more than just dumb, he kind of has a condition. Afterwards, of course, Stannis comes.

This to me confirms that every character with a mental condition has someprophetic powers - Patchface is another instance. I don't know if this deserves a thread of it's own, but it's interesting to discuss such little "prophecies".

I belive patchface predicted the Red wedding, and Daenerys saw it to, so I definitly agree with your statment.

Let me get this straight. Are you saying that Daenerys has some mental condition?

Has a Maester with the psychiatry link (I can't remember offhand what metal that is) declared Targareanism to be a personality disorder in the latest DSM?

(..because, truth be told, that wouldn't be so far-fetched)

ETA: Ninja'd by kiasyd :ninja:

Has a Maester with the psychiatry link (I can't remember offhand what metal that is) declared Targareanism to be a personality disorder in the latest DSM?

(..because, truth be told, that wouldn't be so far-fetched)

Well, it is said in Westeros that whenever a Targaryen is born, the gods flips a coin...

I belive patchface predicted the Red wedding, and Daenerys saw it to, so I definitly agree with your statment.

Oh no, did he? I have to do a Patchface re-read :bang:

But what Daenerys saw was not the Red Wedding.

You'll see if you compare the two events. In the vison, the setting is different, not Walder Frey, but the wolf king presides, and the menu is different (it is better), too.

But Walder Frey ... one of them at Winterfell kind of predicted the Red Wedding in ACoK.

Hodor's a prophet, it's just a little difficult to interpret what he's predicting.

Look for the "Corn Code" thread(s) to learn how to translate Hodor<->English. ETA: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/97516-the-corn-code-revision-10-advena-periculum-mortis-martins-hendiatris/?hl=corn

Oh no, did he? I have to do a Patchface re-read :bang:

But what Daenerys saw was not the Red Wedding.

You'll see if you compare the two events. In the vison, the setting is different, not Walder Frey, but the wolf king presides, and the menu is different (it is better), too.

But Walder Frey ... one of them at Winterfell kind of predicted the Red Wedding in ACoK.

Look for the "Corn Code" thread(s) to learn how to translate Hodor<->English. ETA: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/97516-the-corn-code-revision-10-advena-periculum-mortis-martins-hendiatris/?hl=corn

Yes it was. It may have been more than one thing, but the RW is certainly a part of that vision. I have some posts on the subject here.

Also, the existence of a corn code was denied by GRRM himself. A fan asked him at a recent signing.

Archived