Justified Season 5 (Spoilers)

Mark Antony

Thinking further, I think Johnny was behind the robbery. The blonde got the info on when the shipment was coming in, and he's one of the few people who would know where the shipments went. I think she was the one who got beat up by Colt last season - if she's still working at Audrey's, that would implicate the Crowes. She was also Johnny's favorite, so if she's not working for the Crowes, she's probably working for him.

Yeah she's like Johnny's girlfriend and the one who told him that Colt was looking for Ellen Mae when she was supposed to be dead. I don't think it makes sense for Daryl to have robbed the shipment given that he's just arrived to Harlan. The main question for me is who Johnny could be working with that has that kind of muscle and firepower.

I think the Crowe - Crowder rivalry will kick up once Daryl starts taking over and finding out the bartender is skimming money for Boyd. Boyd's too strapped for cash right now to give up on a steady stream of income.

It's just that I have a hard time seeing this show from a tragic angle (aside from maybe Dewey's story). Sure it is a story of people trying to escape who they really are, but for me there is a comedic feel to it which leads me to believe there won't be a dark ending. I know that's a leap of logic, but for me it would be strange for this show to break from the lighter feel and head down a dark path.

I agree, but I think that in order for Raylan or Boyd to have a happy ending, they have to finally do what they've so far demonstrated that they're incapable of doing: giving up the life.

For Raylan to be any kind of father to his kid, he has to either start working a desk or stop being a Marshal. A more professional lawman could manage risks and live a long life in the field, but Raylan's nature will inevitably end with his death unless he changes. Really, the same applies to Boyd, too, as it did with Mags, Quarles, and the various subvillains throughout the years.

Funnily enough, in all of Justified, the only person who ever successfully managed to change who they were was Drew Thompson - for a bit. He was far happier as Shelby than I imagine he ever was as Drew, and might have continued to do so if not for Arlo.

I don't think Raylan necessarily hid behind the badge, because he did threaten Bearded Memphis Man's life, along with most of his crew, but he knew he would probably die, along with Loretta if he pulled. I also think Beard's recollection's of Arlo helped Raylan identify with the man, and maybe use that against him. Last season he said to former Sheriff Hunter, "In the words of Arlo Givens, 'I'm tryin' to knock some goddamn sense into you.'" I think the show is starting to become a story of Raylan accepting his father for who he was, and incorporating even the worst parts of Arlo into his work. They may seem like desperate maneuvers, and they may even look corrupt, but I think it's better than going down in a hail of bullets and taking two teenagers, plus Avon SHOUTOUT, with him. It's hard to see Loretta slowly become this criminal, when she was merely helping her father back in Season 2. She looks destined for a life of crime, and there's nothing Raylan can do to stop that.

Boyd is well and truly in the shit during this first act of the season, but now that he thinks Duffy has betrayed him, they're obviously going to work things out, and figure out who was responsible. I've been mulling it over, and so far the only person to know, as everyone else has said was 'Candy,' whom we all know as Terri from Audrey's. I've seen people suggest it was Johnny, but the last time we saw him, he was in Rachel's custody, and I think he was going to turn Federal Witness. We still don't know how that will play out. Unless he somehow managed to recruit Terri as a CI, plant her in a separate location that Boyd runs, and indiscriminately murder an entire team of Boyd's most trustworthy men as well as the Mexicans who were supposed to deliver the shipment, I don't see Johnny as the one behind it.

More likely, 'Candy' is working for someone, the person Wade owes money to, and that's how he decided to collect. But it's entirely probable that I'm mistaken, and Johnny somehow pulled it off. I just don't understand how he could have done it, and left Boyd to clean it up, if he was in Federal protection the entire time. I don't think the Crowes had enough time to pull it off either, they just got there, they don't know the score yet. When they hear about how Dewey was ripped off, they may be inclined to offer help, but it was really Boyd who got ripped off, wasn't it.

But the Canadian gangster who sat on the right is scheduled to appear again this season, and nobody puts Boyd in the corner. Sorry Dave Foley fans, it looks like that was his only episode. Quick prediction, Marah kills Paxton now that he's awake, but can't get the money she's owed for some reason. Boyd or his little henchman kills Mooney in a disgusting fashion when the Harlan deputy tries to assault Marah in Paxton's home because she still won't testify, and then Boyd goes after the Canuck with whatever money he has left. I think it would be cool if they teamed up, but not if they hooked up. Boyd/Ava forever. If they just talked, I'm sure he could be enticed to deal with Duffy and Boyd, and between the two of them they can present a front that looks organized enough to pass Canadian inspection. If Dave Foley was right about one thing, it's that the Tonin's certainly weren't organized. Duffy/Boyd are when they're united. After selling it all Boyd would receive enough return on the initial investment to gift Marah her $300,000, and finally free Ava.

I'm fairly confident none of this will happen. I have no predictions for Raylan, other than that he and Amy Smart will get down sometime soon, because of course they will. Does anyone know who the Big Bad is supposed to be this season, or are they sort of using this penultimate season to set up Boyd's empire, and give Season 6 the jumping off point of Raylan vs. Boyd. Because I'm cool with that, as long as Justified episodes are still Justified episodes.

Just as an aside, I love the relationship between Raylan and Loretta. To Loretta, Raylan is basically what Helen was to him - a flawed but fundamentally good person trying to set the kid on the right path. And I think if he played the 'concerned father' role to Loretta, she'd think less of him and would probably bugger off. That's what makes it so special; they're surprisingly similar (except Loretta has the makings of a career criminal).

Also @IG, I think Drew Thompson's story is a prime example that giving up the life just isn't possible. I think Raylan's got it in him to cool his jets and take a position like Art's. Maybe he can even become a good father. But who he is and what his name means in Kentucky will always precede him, and that will prevent him from settling.

More likely, 'Candy' is working for someone, the person Wade owes money to, and that's how he decided to collect.

I don't think Wade owes money to anyone. Boyd needs Dewy's 300k (or whats left of it) to pay off the imported housewife. He sent that guy to pressure Wade into helping them steal it from Dewey. At least that was my understanding.

I don't think Wade owes money to anyone. Boyd needs Dewy's 300k (or whats left of it) to pay off the imported housewife. He sent that guy to pressure Wade into helping them steal it from Dewey. At least that was my understanding.

Thank you, I didn't understand that scene that well, so I'm sure your understanding is correct. Damn, who the hell ripped off Boyd then? I can't see Cyrus acting alone, he said the dope would be on the streets tomorrow. Do you favor Johnny for it? I am trying to wrap my head around how he could have pulled it off, and I guess with Terri on the outside it's possible. It's just so seemingly impossible and very unlikely for the Marshall Service to allow, so who then is the muscle that actually pulled it off? The Crowes are held together by nuts and bolts, they can't outwit Boyd that quickly, can they?

Thank you, I didn't understand that scene that well, so I'm sure your understanding is correct. Damn, who the hell ripped off Boyd then? I can't see Cyrus acting alone, he said the dope would be on the streets tomorrow. Do you favor Johnny for it? I am trying to wrap my head around how he could have pulled it off, and I guess with Terri on the outside it's possible. It's just so seemingly impossible and very unlikely for the Marshall Service to allow, so who then is the muscle that actually pulled it off? The Crowes are held together by nuts and bolts, they can't outwit Boyd that quickly, can they?

Yeah I dunno who did it, but I'm sure it wasn't the Crowes. It doesn't really make a lot of sense unless...waiit a second does Loretta have an alibi!? No but seriously I hope it was Limehouse. Just cause he's awesome, and they should use all these characters they've created and left alive during these last two four seasons. Fletcher "Ice-Pick" Nix needs to escape federal custody too. Assuming he survived being shot, I forget if they called an ambulance.

Yeah I dunno who did it, but I'm sure it wasn't the Crowes. It doesn't really make a lot of sense unless...waiit a second does Loretta have an alibi!? No but seriously I hope it was Limehouse. Just cause he's awesome, and they should use all these characters they've created and left alive during these last two seasons. Fletcher "Ice-Pick" Nix needs to escape federal custody too. Assuming he survived being shot, I forget if they called an ambulance.

Geez, Loretta, I can totally see her teaming up with Limehouse now that whathisname, Hotrod is out for her. She's just bad news, I hope Raylan does something before it's too late for her. Really hoping to see Limehouse again too, though. Fletcher Nix, is Quinn from Dexter right? For some reason I was thinking of the guy who helped Ellen May out, the one who said how dark Boyd's eyes were, haha that was funny. Yeah, he could use some work on a decent show for once. And he used to work for Duffy.

Just as an aside, I love the relationship between Raylan and Loretta. To Loretta, Raylan is basically what Helen was to him - a flawed but fundamentally good person trying to set the kid on the right path. And I think if he played the 'concerned father' role to Loretta, she'd think less of him and would probably bugger off. That's what makes it so special; they're surprisingly similar (except Loretta has the makings of a career criminal).

I think they're trying to paint Loretta as being exactly in the same shoes Raylan was at that age. He could just as easily have decided to roll with it and followed in his father's footsteps instead of becoming a Marshal. Loretta has to make the same choice now whether to keep on her current path or if she wants to emulate Raylan and get out of the life.

My first thought about the stolen shipment was Limehouse. Being that aggressive isnt his style no, but he does use prostitutes as spies and he's the only guy in Harlan that we know of who has enough of an organisation to pull something like that off. That or it's someone new, possibly with Johnny involved (he's noticeable in his absence so far, that's for sure)

So... whats to stop memphis guy from just coming back and murdering Loretta later when Raylan isnt around?

Edit: quick question about that 'throwaway' scene with the blonde and the street dealer. Wasn't that blonde chick Johnny's girl? Maybe she could've passed along the shipment info to Johnny, who may have had something to do with the attack. I know it's a stretch, but it doesn't necessarily have to be the Crowes' doing.

Cousin Johnny it is! Or at least it's very likely at this point.

Also I have a bad feeling about that shot of Raylan's hat after Mrs. Paxton's dead man speech. If we see more of these kind of references, Yost may not have such a happy ending in store for the good Givens. Raylan's ready-made grave is also a potential sign...

Archived