2014 Reading Self-Challenge

Inigima

I did 40 last year, which was disappointing as I got to 39 in mid-November and then got stuck. I'll go with 40 again this year, as I intend to assail the north face of a Peter Hamilton novel, and those fuckers are long.

When i get on a roll I can do about a book a day. For the last few years I deliberately chose extra thicK books so that my wife would not get too annoyed at how much I was reading. Which is why I picked up ASOIAF books to read. Which is why i am on this board enough to get my wife annoyed. 200 books this year. That is my limit.

Picking a number of books is tricky. If I have Shakespeare Complete Works in one volume, it'll count as one, while I might as well have a small booklet for every play ;)

As far as I'm concerned, I know I used to read way more than 10K pages a year back at university, but I had vastly more free time. On the other hand, I note the amount of pages read every time I finish a book, so I know I hit 6.000 pages and more a year nowadays, and mostly try to keep some count to decide if I have to cut down playing video games and read more next week :D But then, I had the bad idea of checking the amount of books left to read at home and had something like 25K pages still waiting.

On the other hand, I know since I first stepped into the massive university library that I'll never have time to read all that I'd like to read, so I'm ok with it. Besides, I know well that I'll be able to read aplenty when I'll be retired, decades from now - assuming I'm not blind and retirement money hasn't vanished -, while games, and to a lesser extent movies/TV series and music I have around are on formats that can be totally useless in a dozen of years.

Basically, I can fairly well estimate my 2014 total at 20 to 25 (because I expect to read Last Argument of Kings and begin Rothfuss, and might well give Anthony Beevor's massive WWII book a try this year).

If I have Shakespeare Complete Works in one volume, it'll count as one, while I might as well have a small booklet for every pla

i shelved individual plays and collected folios separately. can review and rate the plays themselves on the one hand and the editorial policy of the collections on the other, say.

Picking a number of books is tricky. If I have Shakespeare Complete Works in one volume, it'll count as one, while I might as well have a small booklet for every play ;)

If it's a large collection of full-length works that I can separate out into obviously distinct ones, I count them separately.

Archived