2014 Reading Self-Challenge

Inigima

Reached my goal at 100/100 two months in advance.

*happy dance*

58 were books by women, several of which were books in a series.

27 books had a queer protoganist/important character, which is rather low considering I usually make a concerted effort to find such books.

Next year I must read more books by non-white authors as well.

• 2 weeks later...

17/20

I have been very busy over the last few months so I haven't read much or been on here much. But, having said that, I have finished reading 'Mockingjay' by Suzanne Collins (which I thought it could have been better) and 'The Guide to Writing Fantasy and Science Fiction' by Phillip Athens (which I really enjoyed and found really helpful).

Was finding Heirs of the Blade a bit of a slog (seems to be a slow mid section) so I decided to swap to something to refresh my reading:

Picked up Zelazny Nine Princes in Amber at a charity shop for 60p and read that. Took me 5 days but left it at work for two - under 200 pages so a nice easy read.

I really enjoyed this book - archaic writing with some odd turns of phrase but some of the prose was really evocative. First Zelazny I have read and if other work is a similar style I think this is an author I will enjoy. Strange how it is marketed as New Wave sci-fi rather than Fantasy.

So 1/10 since last post.

Still not gotten any further with Heirs of the Blade and really need to get that finished.

Read Ancillary Justice and also World War Z since last post. Currently reading War of the Worlds.

So sitting at 3/10 at the moment and not looking likely I will make 10. My original target was 7 since September (wasn't a member at the start of the year) which I then revised to 10. I have some time off over Christmas and work projects should wind down so hopefully I can play catch up.

I am leaving my goal at 10 before the end of the year but if I make 7 I will still be happy.

• 2 weeks later...

5 books this month, so I'm up to 59/52. Only one woman author, so I'm at 18/24 looking pretty doubtful I am going to make it for that goal.

Clash of Wings: Air Power in WWII. by Walter Boyne. Felt a little dated (written in early 90s). Overall nothing special.

I am Malala by Malala Yousafzai. Interesting to hear her perspective on Pakistan and where things are going. Less critical of the west than I would expect, although maybe that's just to sell more books?

Helmet for my Pillow by Robert Leckie. What I liked about this story is that it isn't what you might consider a "typical" experience in the Pacific war. Leckie spends time in the Brig, feigns illness to get out of duty, and in general isn't what you might call a model marine. Because to a great extent, such a thing doesn't exist. And Leckie nonetheless went through a lot of combat between Guadalcanal and Pelilui. It just feels like a very true story to include so much other stuff.

In Deadly Combat by Herbert Bitterman. It was odd to read this book, at the same time as Helmet for the Pillow. This one is about a German infantryman who survived four years on the Eastern Front, and three years of captivity in Russia. Of his 12 man unit who make up the main characters in the book, he was the only survivor of the entire war (nine were killed, two were seriously injured and evacuated). Bleak stuff. His mindset and general attitude felt very different from Leckie's.

Wolf in White Van by John Darnielle. Do you like The Mountain Goats? I do, and that's why i read this book. But while there are some things in this that remind me of why I love his music so much, in the end this book felt rambling and unfocused. The final climax (if you can call it that) seemed to be answering questions that I already assumed, and felt very unsatisfactory.

28/30

November reads:

The World of Ice and Fire: interesting stories and histories, but the illustrations are what makes this book great, imo.

Vicious Grace (Black Sun's Daughter #3): solid, fun, suspenceful urban fantasy.

There is a near-zero chance that I will make my goal, because it took me four months, to the day, to struggle through Styron's Lie Down In Darkness. I finally finished it today.

17. Felix Gilman - The Revolutions - Good story, flawed pacing. Imaginative ideas, drags too much, disappointing ending.

18. William Styron - Lie Down In Darkness - 1951 debut novel by the author of Sophie's Choice. Not... bad, exactly, but I hated virtually everyone in it and apparently that's common. The best part is the penultimate section, and by best I mean crushingly depressing.

18/30. Good and fucked on this goal.

I have not been keeping a close track of my reading, which is probably not great when I set myself a challenge. However, my quick mental tally brings me to 33/30, and that is assuming I have not missed any out.

My goal for next year will probably be to add a greater variety of genres and authors to my reading - the majority of books I have read this year, otside of my academic studies, have ben fantasy and historical fiction.

I have not been keeping a close track of my reading, which is probably not great when I set myself a challenge. However, my quick mental tally brings me to 33/30, and that is assuming I have not missed any out.

My goal for next year will probably be to add a greater variety of genres and authors to my reading - the majority of books I have read this year, otside of my academic studies, have ben fantasy and historical fiction.

I used a book club to do this. It's helped a lot, as has just straight up deciding to read some lit.

Archived