2014 Reading Self-Challenge

Inigima

I'm not sure how to count Dangerous Women. Goodreads will of course count it as one book, but it's going to take me a while to finish all the stories in it. Hmm.

I didn't know this existed, I think I will check it out.

As a short story collection, long or not, I'm personally inclined to count it as a single book. I don't count War & Peace multiple times just because it's long.

OK, I sucked at this last year since I don't update my goodreads count or keep track myself and I tend to re-read a lot. I want to read new things this year. I think I made my count last year, but who the hell knows.

Put me down for 25 new books.

I didn't know this existed, I think I will check it out.

As a short story collection, long or not, I'm personally inclined to count it as a single book. I don't count War & Peace multiple times just because it's long.

What about books like Of Mice and Men? It's only a hundred pages but I don't see any other way of counting it than one book. Or a novella like The Emperor's Soul by Sanderson, it's 175 pages.

What about books like Of Mice and Men? It's only a hundred pages but I don't see any other way of counting it than one book. Or a novella like The Emperor's Soul by Sanderson, it's 175 pages.

I'm not Inigima, but personally I see no reason why you couldn't count it as a book. It's not a part of a larger work, is it?

Books read: 8/60

• The Complete Adrien English Mysteries ( Fatal Shadows, A Dangerous Thing, The Hell You Say, Death of a Pirate King, The Dark Tide)
    Five books that follow the delicate Adrien as he juggles murders, an overprotective mother and a growing attraction to homophobic LAPD Detective Jake all while trying to run a bookstore. While the mysteries are decent and Adrien is a likeable narrator, the real selling point for me was Jake's character development. This has to be the first time I've seen the Asshole Boyfriend trope used right.
  • Deadly Mystery Series (Deadly Nightshade and Deadly Mistake)
    The mysteries are decent but the narration has two modes: dull and dick-obsessed. The book seems to hit you over the head with it's puerile obsession. I shan't be continuing the series.
  • The Lion of Kent: Smut, picked up because Amazon was selling it for 99p
    Short, quick roll in the hay. A small book about the romance between a squaire and his liege lord, set during the latter years of the reign of Henry IV. Not terrible.

With exam week done and no classes till Tuesday, I hope to finish something more challenging this week.

I think that it's entirely up to you what you do. And length does not equal reading time, or time spent on the book.

For example, I've burned through most Wheel of time-books in a couple of days. Might have missed some interesting subtexts and whatnot, but for me, they're fast, entertaining reads. And somewhere around 800 pages. Conversely, I read a couple of very short novels/long novellas (110 pages total) by a Norwegian authour last year. They took me a week, even though I greatly enjoyed them.

I did not meet my goal of fifteen for last year but...I set my goal this year to be 20 because I have a sweet Kindle and no real excuse to not read, especially with my library card.

So far I am 1.5 books complete. (The. 5 is a book I started Dec 30 and finished on the 1st of Jan)

I would personally definitely count novellas. Again, I cannot make these decisions for you.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived