Moments of Foreshadowing 7 [TPatQ spoilers]

Fire Eater

Something in his tone reminded her of Viserys. Dany turned on him angrily. “The dragon feeds on horse and sheep alike.”

Khal Drogo smiled. “See how fierce she grows!” he said. “It is my son inside her, the stallion who mounts the world, filling her with his fire.

Could we take this as a foreshadowing? If so, what does it means? We know that Drogon fed on horse and sheep. No other dragon hunted a horse as far as we know. The dragon inside Dany passed his lifeforce to a dragon. Dany named them as she liked but are we sure that Drogo-Drogon, Rhaego-Rhaegal and Viserys-Viserion couplings are true, if we consider whose spirit cracked whose egg?

Something in his tone reminded her of Viserys. Dany turned on him angrily. “The dragon feeds on horse and sheep alike.”

Khal Drogo smiled. “See how fierce she grows!” he said. “It is my son inside her, the stallion who mounts the world, filling her with his fire.

Could we take this as a foreshadowing? If so, what does it means? We know that Drogon fed on horse and sheep. No other dragon hunted a horse as far as we know. The dragon inside Dany passed his lifeforce to a dragon. Dany named them as she liked but are we sure that Drogo-Drogon, Rhaego-Rhaegal and Viserys-Viserion couplings are true, if we consider whose spirit cracked whose egg?

I don't think Rhaego and Viserys have anything to do with the birth of the dragons. Rhaego's life helped to pay for Drogo's new "life". Viserys was dead for quite a while to matter.

I think Drogo's life made one egg hatch, the horse's another and Mirri Maz Duur's life made the last egg hatch. They were the ones on the funeral pyre. I don't know which sacrifice cracked which egg.

My lord had as well present us [Yarwyck and Marsh present] with a pack of wolves and ask which we'd like to tear our throats out.

I think Ghost will have that pleasure.

From one such island rose a weirwood gnarled and ancient, its bole and branches white as the surrounding snows. Eight days ago Asha had walked out with Aly Mormont to have a closer look at its slitted red eyes and bloody mouth. It is only sap, she'd told herself, the red sap that flows inside these weirwoods. But her eyes were unconvinced; seeing was believing and what they saw was frozen blood.

The chains about the dead had cooled by now, she saw, but still held the corpses fast in their iron embrace. A raven was perched atop one, pulling at the tatters of burned flesh that clung to its blackened skull.

Oats and barley had been growing there when Asha took the castle, only to be crushed underfoot during her attack. A series of hard frosts had killed the crops they'd planted afterward, leaving only mud and ash and wilted, rotting, stalks.

Assuming you're right and neither Asha nor Theon survive the series, and with Euron Greyjoy and Victarion both on courses that won't take them anywhere good either, who would end up ruling the Iron Islands?!?

The Reader, lord of the most populous and wealthiest of the Iron Isles, and currently has allies in Lords Drumm and Goodbrother.

Bran did his best, although he did not think he ever really footed her. Since his father would not forbid it, she turned to others. Old Nan told him a story about a bad little boy who climbed too high and was struck down by lightning, and how afterward the crows came to peck out his eyes.

Way back in AGoT, GRRM foreshadowed Bran's fall and his third eye being pecked open by a crow (BR).

... Old Nan told him a story about a bad little boy who climbed too high and was struck down by lightning, and how afterward the crows came to peck out his eyes.

Way back in AGoT, GRRM foreshadowed Bran's fall and his third eye being pecked open by a crow (BR).

This particular bit 'o foreshadowing probably has multiple applications. LF is climbing (politically) as hard as he can, and we often get references to him as a boy. "Struck down by lightning" might be a reference to Lady Stoneheart, who is the zombie successor of Lightning Lord Beric Dondarrion. His "eyes" (spies) might get plucked out (eliminated) by the Corbrays, whose sigil includes ravens.

In the third day of tyrion's trial, he demanded trial by combat.

His sweet sister could not have been more pleased. “He has that right, my lords,” she reminded the judges. “Let the gods judge. Ser Gregor Clegane will stand for Joffrey. He returned to the city the night before last, to put his sword at my service.”

Lord Tywin’s face was so dark that for half a heartbeat Tyrion wondered if he’d drunk some poisoned wine as well. He slammed his fist down on the table, too angry to speak. It was Mace Tyrell who turned to Tyrion and asked the question. “Do you have a champion to defend your innocence?”

“He does, my lord.” Prince Oberyn of Dorne rose to his feet. “The dwarf has quite convinced me.”

There is long thread about Oberyn posioning Tywin with many good evidences supporting that. I am not sure whether the bolded part is mentioned before but it is a clear foreshadowing of Tywin's being poisoned.

This is near the end of TSS...

Ser Lucas jerked and twisted, and the strength left him. Dunk shoved away and floated. His chest was on fire. A fish flashed past his face, long and white and slender.Whats that? he wondered.Whats that? Whats that?

This has to foreshadow something. Any ideas?

Catelyn II (I think) in ASOS [The Karstark Execution Chapter]

""The doors of the hall crashed open, and the Blackfish entered with water running from his cloak and helm. Tully men-at-arms followed him in, while outside lightning cracked across the sky and a hard black rain pounded against the stones of Riverrun."

Blackfish arrives soaking could foreshadow his swimming escape from Riverrun during the siege. And the lightning crack could mean that he ends up with the Lightning Lord's old "Brotherhood", finding his way back to Cat/LS.

This isn't really a foreshadowing, more of a build up...

"Webber, you nurse claims to lands lost in Westeros." --Dance

Webber was short and muscular, with spiders tattooed across his head and chest and arms. --Dance

If she remains unwed on the second anniversary of her fathers passing, Coldmoat and its lands pass to his cousin Wendell. Perhaps you glimpsed him in the yard. A short man with a goiter on his neck, much given to flatulence. Though it is small of me to say so. I am cursed with excess wind myself. Be that as it may. Ser Wendell is grasping and stupid, but his lady wife is Lord Rowans sister . . . and damnably fertile, that cannot be denied. She whelps as often as he farts. Their sons are quite as bad as he is, their daughters worse, and all of them have begun to count the days. Lord Rowan has upheld the will, so her ladyship has only till the next new moon. --TSS

It was a grant of rights, ser. To Lord Wyman Webber, from the king. For his leal service in the late rebellion, Lord Wyman and his descendants were granted all rights to the Chequy Water, from where it rises in the Horseshoe Hills to the shores of Leafy Lake. It also said that Lord Wyman and his descendants should have the right to take red deer and boar and rabbits in Wats Wood wheneer it pleased them, and to cut twenty trees from the wood each year. The boy cleared his throat. The grant was only for a time, though. The paper said that if Ser Eustace were to die without a male heir of his body, Standfast would revert to the crown, and Lord Webbers privileges would end. --TSS

So, maybe the Windblown Webber is a descendant of cousin Wendel who lost his chance to take Coldmoat when Dunk killed Lucas and Eustace wed Rohanne. If Webber had a child with Eustace (actually Dunk's bastard???) then Coldmoat could be held by House Osgrey. Assuming Osgrey will (unknowingly) side with the Black Dragon once again and the Windblown will side with Dany, this sets up another confrontation between Webber and Osgrey.

If Webber had a child with Eustace (actually Dunk's bastard???)

"You have large feet," she [Lady Webber] observed. "Large hands as well. I think you must be large all over.”

Dunk could feel her fingers through the silk. Her hand was freckled, too. I’ll bet she’s freckled all over.

I think Lady Webber and Dunk had an unfinished business. It would be a shame to let it go this way.

Illyrio lied to Tyrion about why he was backing Dany up.

Tyrion pondered all he knew of Volantis, oldest and proudest of the Nine Free Cities. Something was awry here. Even with half a nose, he could smell it. “It’s said there are five slaves for every free man in Volantis. Why would the triarchs assist a queen who smashed the slave trade?” He pointed at Illyrio. “For that matter, why would you? Slavery may be forbidden by the laws of Pentos, yet you have a finger in that trade as well, and maybe a whole hand. And yet you conspire for the dragon queen, and not against her. Why? What do you hope to gain from Queen Daenerys?”

“Are we back to that again? You are a persistent little man.” Illyrio gave a laugh and slapped his belly. “As you will. The Beggar King swore that I should be his master of coin, and a lordly lord as well. Once he wore his golden crown, I should have my choice of castles … even Casterly Rock, if I desired.”

Tyrion snorted wine back up the scarred stump that had been his nose. “My father would have loved to hear that.”

“Your lord father had no cause for concern. Why would I want a rock? My manse is large enough for any man, and more comfortable than your drafty Westerosi castles. Master of coin, though …” The fat man peeled another egg. “I am fond of coins. Is there any sound as sweet as the clink of gold on gold?”

This is a lie but there is also a clue here. So what is Illyrio’s secret motive beneath the gold?

Beneath the gold, the bitter steel.

Haldon Halfmaester explained. “On the way down from the Sorrows to Selhorys, we thrice glimpsed riders moving south along the river’s eastern shore. Dothraki. Once they were so close we could hear the bells tinkling in their braids, and sometimes at night their fires could be seen beyond the eastern hills. We passed warships as well, Volantene river galleys crammed with slave soldiers. The triarchs fear an attack upon Selhorys, plainly.”

Tyrion understood that quick enough. Alone amongst the major river towns, Selhorys stood upon the eastern bank of the Rhoyne, making it much more vulnerable to the horselords than its sister towns across the river. Even so, it is a small prize. If I were khal, I would feint at Selhorys, let the Volantenes rush to defend it, then swing south and ride hard for Volantis itself.

This is exactly how Volantis will be conquered. Dany will prove to be The Stallion and she will unite a massive khalassar. They will make a fake attack to Selhorys just like Tyrion planned and when the Volantene come to aid, the Iron Fleet will strike Volantis. The slaves will join the action and we will have new 163's.

"You have large feet," she [Lady Webber] observed. "Large hands as well. I think you must be large all over.

Dunk could feel her fingers through the silk. Her hand was freckled, too. Ill bet shes freckled all over.

I think Lady Webber and Dunk had an unfinished business. It would be a shame to let it go this way.

Yeah I'm wondering about that too. It would explain where Brienne got her freckles from. But the only way it works is if Dunk ahem stuck his wick in the wax there in the stables and while Rohanne was a tomboy and a coquette she seemed to be very careful about putting herself in awkward ahem positions. A tumble in the hay in the stables would seem a bit risky. Just ask Gatehouse Ami. Of course there was a line in that case or at least they required a bit more room. Perhaps he returned after he showed Egg his prize? At that point he had refused the horse but in TMK Egg was riding it...

Haldon Halfmaester explained. On the way down from the Sorrows to Selhorys, we thrice glimpsed riders moving south along the rivers eastern shore. Dothraki. Once they were so close we could hear the bells tinkling in their braids, and sometimes at night their fires could be seen beyond the eastern hills. We passed warships as well, Volantene river galleys crammed with slave soldiers. The triarchs fear an attack upon Selhorys, plainly.

Tyrion understood that quick enough. Alone amongst the major river towns, Selhorys stood upon the eastern bank of the Rhoyne, making it much more vulnerable to the horselords than its sister towns across the river. Even so, it is a small prize. If I were khal, I would feint at Selhorys, let the Volantenes rush to defend it, then swing south and ride hard for Volantis itself.

This is exactly how Volantis will be conquered. Dany will prove to be The Stallion and she will unite a massive khalassar. They will make a fake attack to Selhorys just like Tyrion planned and when the Volantene come to aid, the Iron Fleet will strike Volantis. The slaves will join the action and we will have new 163's.

Seems like. Will Tyrion be advising her by then?

My lord had as well present us [Yarwyck and Marsh present] with a pack of wolves and ask which we'd like to tear our throats out.

I think Ghost will have that pleasure.

The Reader, lord of the most populous and wealthiest of the Iron Isles, and currently has allies in Lords Drumm and Goodbrother.

I hope it's an apt time for Rickon and his army of cannibals to show up

Arya III, ASOS

"I held the bridge against Maynard. Red hair and a black temper he had, but he could not move me."

That's the really old knight speaking in the small square. Sounds a little like Robb being killed at the Twins. Maynard representing Lord Walder.

Aegon tips over the cyvasse board after Tyrion wins through giving bad advice. He orders Tyrion to pick up the pieces. Given that cyvasse is very much the game of thrones, could this foreshadow Tyrion's advice to strike West rather than East, which (f)Aegon follows, leading to the collapse of Aegon's "game" - i.e. he loses the game of thrones by takig Tyrion's bad advice and not going to wed Dany.

Aegon tips over the cyvasse board after Tyrion wins through giving bad advice. He orders Tyrion to pick up the pieces. Given that cyvasse is very much the game of thrones, could this foreshadow Tyrion's advice to strike West rather than East, which (f)Aegon follows, leading to the collapse of Aegon's "game" - i.e. he loses the game of thrones by takig Tyrion's bad advice and not going to wed Dany

I think that's exactly what it symbolizes. Tyrion wasn't acting in good faith there. fAegon may be able to take the IT, since the Lannister forces are in such disarray, but he will never be able to keep it.

Aegon tips over the cyvasse board after Tyrion wins through giving bad advice. He orders Tyrion to pick up the pieces. Given that cyvasse is very much the game of thrones, could this foreshadow Tyrion's advice to strike West rather than East, which (f)Aegon follows, leading to the collapse of Aegon's "game" - i.e. he loses the game of thrones by takig Tyrion's bad advice and not going to wed Dany.

You might wanna look at here

Archived