Small Questions v 10021

Stubby

How do you pronounce Varys? Is it Vaa-ris or is it Way-ris?

From SSM:

Lyanna = lye-anna

Catelyn = cat-linn

Maester = may-ster (that one's pretty obvious)

Moat Cailin = Moat Cah-lan

Sansa = Saun-sa

Khaleesi = Khal-eee-see

Missandei = mees-anday

Tommen = Toam-in

Davos = Dah-vos

Varys = Var-us

And from a similar SSM

I've always been a stickler for pronunciation, going back to being a lifelong Tolkien fan (the Professor was extremely particular about this, of course), so I've always wanted to know how Martin himself pronounces names. But I guess it's nice to know that Martin is pretty flexible about. His exact words were "You can pronounce it however you like."

I rather like that one. :)

edt:

Small Paul is regarded as one of Dunk's descendants, right?

Not sure if your kidding or not but most seem to think it's Brienne.

Apologies if this has been discussed/answered before, but are we clear on whether it was Egg or Jaehaerys who commanded Aerys to marry Rhaella in light of TPTWP prophecy? As far as I can recall, only Selmy's comment to Dany about "your grandsire" provides any evidence either way.

Yes. I've been told that the app confirms that it was Jaehaerys II.

D&E Spoiler This is from the SSM

Noreascon (Boston, MA; September 2-6)

[Note: The following is a paraphrase of the reporter's statement.]

Martin officially said that Dunk was not knighted [by Ser Arlan of Pennytree].

Shouldn't this be added to the wiki then? I mean, on Dunk's wiki page, it says

Dunk claimed to the tourney organizers that Arlan knighted him before his death. The truth of this claim has not been revealed, though Dunk sometimes feels guilt for an unexplained reason.

The source reference to those two sentences state:

Author George R. R. Martin has confirmed that Dunk's story of his knighting is a lie.

So, my question, shouldn't the text be altered? Or is it put on the wiki like this for a special reason?

Shouldn't this be added to the wiki then? I mean, on Dunk's wiki page, it says

So, my question, shouldn't the text be altered? Or is it put on the wiki like this for a special reason?

It has been posted on the Wiki a few times but someone always goes back and changes it, maybe because of how vague the SSM is, or because it doesn't say what GRRM actually said just someone paraphrasing.

Here's a thread that discusses known heart trees+some other notable places with weirwoods, if that's any help. Rose of Ice has been keeping a list, it's there if you scroll down a little.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/101308-guessing-brans-arc-a-hunt-for-heart-trees/?hl=%2Bknown+%2Bheart+%2Btree

Cool, thank you!

From SSM:

Lyanna = lye-anna

Catelyn = cat-linn

Maester = may-ster (that one's pretty obvious)

Moat Cailin = Moat Cah-lan

Sansa = Saun-sa

Khaleesi = Khal-eee-see

Missandei = mees-anday

Tommen = Toam-in

Davos = Dah-vos

Varys = Var-us

And from a similar SSM

I rather like that one. :)

Ah. Many thanks mindchap. :cheers:

I'll take a shot.

The unanswered questions from the previous 2 pages:

Mini Ghost, on 06 Jan 2014 - 9:23 PM, said:

Would Jaqen give Gendry the FM coin if he said he wanted to join him?

The FM are an elite guild of followers of the Many-Faced God, so I think we can assume Jaqen was recruiting her because she bested him. I don't think he was prostelytizing, so he wouldn't just give out iron coins to whoever asked. But it's not definitively stated anywhere.

Serve Obey Protect, on 06 Jan 2014 - 6:40 PM, said:

How/where do men of the faith of the Drowned God who join the Night's Watch take their vows?

I'm assuming they all travel to Eastwatch to do so, but that seems inconvenient (well, maybe not since most would be assigned to Eastwatch anyway).

And then do they have to kneel in the freezing cold water while they say their vows? Or can they just do so on the shore without going into the water?

The person obviously doesn't understand their religion if they are afraid of a little cold water! "A man must fight to live!"

TheCrannogDweller, on 06 Jan 2014 - 12:10 PM, said:

Where in the Riverands are Raventree Hall and Stoney Hedge located?

This is my favorite map, I'm sure it's been picked apart, but it has never steered me wrong when I want to see the geography and routes being described as I read: http://quartermaester.info

Strongboar_Crakehall, on 06 Jan 2014 - 04:57 AM, said:

Aside from the Bael the Bard story, is there something that suggests that the Stark line an unbroken male line?

Here is a thread about this question. http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/99966-why-there-never-was-a-queen-in-the-north/?hl=matrilineal

I remember a thread about wildlings and the First Men possibly passing matrilineally but I can't find it now.

Re: Ironborn Night's Watch vows I'm guessing most of them just take their vows with the majority of the recruits in the sept. Nobody raised an objection when Samwell wanted to take his vows in front of the heart tree instead of the gods of his family. If an especially devout Ironborn wanted to go to the ocean, it would be up to their commander to allow it or not. In the end it's not like they have a choice of swearing a vow, unless they volunteered.

The person obviously doesn't understand their religion if they are afraid of a little cold water! "A man must fight to live!"

Haha

Re: Ironborn Night's Watch vows I'm guessing most of them just take their vows with the majority of the recruits in the sept. Nobody raised an objection when Samwell wanted to take his vows in front of the heart tree instead of the gods of his family. If an especially devout Ironborn wanted to go to the ocean, it would be up to their commander to allow it or not. In the end it's not like they have a choice of swearing a vow, unless they volunteered.

Alright, thanks for the reply.

Strongboar_Crakehall, on 06 Jan 2014 - 04:57 AM, said:

Aside from the Bael the Bard story, is there something that suggests that the Stark line an unbroken male line?

Here is a thread about this question. http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/99966-why-there-never-was-a-queen-in-the-north/?hl=matrilineal

I remember a thread about wildlings and the First Men possibly passing matrilineally but I can't find it now.

That map is one of my favorites as well. Even though there are mistakes in there (like the location of Ibben), it is quite precise on anything in Westeros. :D

I often see it mentioned that GRRM has stated he will introduce no new POVs in Winds and/or the rest of the series. Is there a source for this, or is it an urban legend?

If I got it right, what he meant was that he would add no POV from characters we have never heard of. Anything is possible as long as we already know the character, though.

In aGoT when Catelyn meets with Walder Frey, he mentions he is 90 years old.

In the appendix of aCoK, it is stated Walder is 91 years old.

That suggests that Walder´s nameday is in between Catelyn and Robb´s crossing the Twins, and the turn of the year, which happensat the very end of aGoT IIRC.

In the epilogue of aSoS, however, after the year has already turned into 300 AC, Merrett mentions Walder would soon be 92 years old.

All this to calculate when Walder was born and how the wiki arrived at 207 AC. Does anyone know whether or not the prologue is to happen before Joffrey´s wedding, even though it is depicted after? When is Walder's nameday?

Archived