Small Questions v 10021

Stubby

This is from the intro to the Sword Sword as originally published in Legends II...

The lords freeholder of Valyria ruled the greater part of the known world; they were sorcerers, great in lore, and alone of all the races of man they had learned to breed dragons and bend them to their will.

Is this canon?

This is from the intro to the Sword Sword as originally published in Legends II...

The lords freeholder of Valyria ruled the greater part of the known world; they were sorcerers, great in lore, and alone of all the races of man they had learned to breed dragons and bend them to their will.

Is this canon?

I think so, Novels=Novellas=SSM=LoIaF(and prob WoIaF) I think those are all considered cannon since they are all done with his input, but definitely the Novels and Novellas because they are all him.

I think so, Novels=Novellas=SSM=LoIaF(and prob WoIaF) I think those are all considered cannon since they are all done with his input, but definitely the Novels and Novellas because they are all him.

I'm asking because there are some folks in the post TP&TQ threads suggesting that any old Tom, Dick or Netty can ride a dragon with enough sheep and loving affection. But the quote above pretty much confirms that in the world of ASOIAF only Targaryens were able to bind dragons to their will and they originally did no through sorcerous means.

I'm asking because there are some folks in the post TP&TQ threads suggesting that any old Tom, Dick or Netty can ride a dragon with enough sheep and loving affection. But the quote above pretty much confirms that in the world of ASOIAF only Targaryens were able to bind dragons to their will and they originally did no through sorcerous means.

tPatQ

Actually they could both be kind of correct. While there were wild dragons on dragonstone in tPatQ they were probably like wild horses in the US, in other words they descend from the dragons that the Targs brought originally from Valyria, so they descend from domesticated dragons. Whereas the novella, I think, is talking about the finding, and conquering of dragons that had never been around humans, like in the Fourteen Fires. Plus in tPatQ Georges makes it a point to mention that these people all have a drop or two of Targ blood, which you could argue kind of closes the loophole. If that makes any sense at all. :)

Or that's my take on it at least.

Yeah I was hoping for some quote. I've been going through the SSMs chronologically and I haven't seen any entry where he talked about Cat's death not being planned ahead.

I even think there was some foreshadowing, something about her heart turning to stone.

When thr Lannisters are discussig the RW, isnt there a line where its mentioned Catepyn was supposed to be taken as a prisoner rather than killed?

When thr Lannisters are discussig the RW, isnt there a line where its mentioned Catepyn was supposed to be taken as a prisoner rather than killed?

But not in you, Father. There is no blood in Tywin Lannister. “Was it a soft silk pillow that

slew Robb Stark?”

“It was to be an arrow, at Edmure Tully’s wedding feast. The boy was too wary in the field. He

kept his men in good order, and surrounded himself with outriders and bodyguards.”

“So Lord Walder slew him under his own roof, at his own table?” Tyrion made a fist. “What of

Lady Catelyn?”

“Slain as well, I’d say. A pair of wolfskins. Frey had intended to keep her captive, but perhaps

something went awry.”

“So much for guest right.”

“The blood is on Walder Frey’s hands, not mine.”

This one?

Rooseman I'll give my 2c's and say I think it's something other than Grrm meaning he didnt plan Cat's death. There's foreshadowing in Agot and aCok for it happening, if you look at the aCok one it's really clear.

All I can think is I remember watching/reading grrm say often Cat surprises him when he's writing her, but was completely vague about what he meany specifically.

AGOT...

ACOK...

Thanks!

I also looked up the other passage I had in mind. From AGoT

“We learned that to our sorrow, Ser Donnel,” Catelyn said. Sometimes she felt as though her heart had turned to stone;

Was there anything in the books that said that Robb had to leave WF quickly and didn't have enough time to summon a larger army?

Maester Luwin told Bran "Robb must march soon, or not at all." The entire assembled army at Winterfell was eating the supplies Winterfell had stored for the winter. Had the army stayed at Winterfell longer, the supplies would have been emptied so much, that Winterfell and the wintertown could not have been able to see through the entire winter.

tPatQ

Actually they could both be kind of correct. While there were wild dragons on dragonstone in tPatQ they were probably like wild horses in the US, in other words they descend from the dragons that the Targs brought originally from Valyria, so they descend from domesticated dragons. Whereas the novella, I think, is talking about the finding, and conquering of dragons that had never been around humans, like in the Fourteen Fires. Plus in tPatQ Georges makes it a point to mention that these people all have a drop or two of Targ blood, which you could argue kind of closes the loophole. If that makes any sense at all. :)

Or that's my take on it at least.

I think Martin intended it to be a bit ambiguous. I think we should understand that people, even maesters and other learned folks, in ASOIAF generally believe that only Targaryens can bind dragons to their will but he's left us with a question mark in Netty.

I think Martin intended it to be a bit ambiguous. I think we should understand that people, even maesters and other learned folks, in ASOIAF generally believe that only Targaryens can bind dragons to their will but he's left us with a question mark in Netty.

Agreed, I think he tries to leave himself a loophole for everything, just to keep us from being certain of anything.

Do we have any idea when slavery became illegal in Westeros? Was it illegal/taboo across the seven independent kingdoms? (Ironborn thralls excluded) Or was it something Aegon and his sisters decided, even though their family was from Valyria?

Do we have any idea when slavery became illegal in Westeros? Was it illegal/taboo across the seven independent kingdoms? (Ironborn thralls excluded) Or was it something Aegon and his sisters decided, even though their family was from Valyria?

Some slavers are mentioned in Davos' last chapter in ADWD, where Ser Bartimus tells him of the history of the Wolf's Den. Brandon "Ice Eyes" Stark defeated some slavers from Stepstones and freed the slaves, and they hanged some entrails on the heart tree. It's quite a long story with so I'll not quote it here. It doesn't specifically say anything about slavery being banned, but could hint at the northeners not approving it even ages ago.

Anybody else have problems up-loading their profile pic? Any suggestions?

I just joined the board, though I am long-time lurker.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/57870-want-to-have-an-avataruser-pic-read-this-thread/

5. Important last step!! Pick an option that isn't #1. You cannot actually upload a photo onto the server, but there is no way to remove this option from the board software. Use one of the other options (linking to a picture with a URL hosted elsewhere, such as Photobucket, or logging into Gravatar).

Archived