Small Questions v 10021

Stubby

Is it worth reading all the books if you've already watched the show and been around forums like this for 1 year+? As in, i know all the major plot points, theories, lots of dialogue etc from the books thanks to forums like this one. I know most would say "just read them" but will i really gain anything new reading them myself or will it be a waste of time in your opinion?

I feel much better now...

Your answer is edited into my post now :) And now you have to tell me why you wanted to know that :p

RumHam; I have no idea how canon that is, its certainly not in ASoIaF novels...but lol, brilliance if they are canon

Young Falcon, read them. Honestly, reading these forums or even the Wiki wont give you an accurate idea of everything that happens. A lot of things arent discussed here that are interesting (at least to some) and the books are just brilliant in any case. Since you watched the show, you will probably have firm ideas about certain characters in your mind, but I urge you to disregard the show if you start reading and form separate opinions of each character. For example, Tyrion is portrayed very differently IMO in the series compared to the novels. Reading also fills in the gap till Season 4 and Winds release

RumHam; I have no idea how canon that is, its certainly not in ASoIaF novels...but lol, brilliance if they are canon

Since Elmo Tully died of the winter fever in 131, he would be Lord of Riverrun at the start of The Princess and the Queen. I can only hope he'll be canonized in the world book somewhere.

Which left only the riverlords, a notoriously quarrelsome lot ruled over, in name at least, by House Tully of Riverrun.

Nobody wants to be ruled by a guy name Elmo.

Is it worth reading all the books if you've already watched the show and been around forums like this for 1 year+? As in, i know all the major plot points, theories, lots of dialogue etc from the books thanks to forums like this one. I know most would say "just read them" but will i really gain anything new reading them myself or will it be a waste of time in your opinion?

You can get a lot of info from the show (though some is obviously different from the books), from other people and browsing the web, but you'll miss all the emotions you can get from reading the books. Even on re-reads when I already know what's going to happen, reading about some events still gives me goosebumps. There's a reason why people keep reading the books over and over again, give them a try!

Your answer is edited into my post now :) And now you have to tell me why you wanted to know that :p

Thank you. I will pray to the old gods and the new for your good fortune.

I read a passag in TSS where Dunk my favorite lunk is sweatin up a storm while everyone around him appears so cool. It made me think of that passage with Brienne, but I guess I was off. BTW did you ever notice that Donal Noye called Robert Baratheon the true steel in Clash and Eustace Osgrey called Dunk the true steel in TSS? That's just a coincidence, right?

The show is akin to glorified fanfic that has been sanctioned by The George. There are major discrepancies.

If you liked the show and have become interested by the forum, you'll definitly love the books. :D There's just so much more in the books :)

Can someone point me to an SSM where GRRM apparently says that Doran Martell plays to win?

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/2997

[Why did Doran not join Renly against the Lannisters?]

Doran plays to win, whether at cyvasse or the game of thrones. Likely he did not see Renly as a winner. The emnity between Dorne and Highgarden also played a part, I am sure.

To go back a little bit :) I couldn't check it until after I had access to my computer.

Anyone have any idea how cannon Lords Elmo and Kermit Tully are? Because that's pretty great.

http://www.westeros.org/BoD/Houses/Entry/House_Tully/

Well, the Tully family tree has changed quite a bit. Lady Tinessa was originally a Tully, married to Patrek Vance. Their children were Melene, Edmure, Brynden, Andrya, Jannia and Toren. Edmure only had one child, Lysa.

In the current MUSH tree of the Tully's, Lady Tinessa has become a Vance, and she married Kermit Tully. Their children stayed the same. Edmure has another child now, Edmund.

Since the MUSH is now MUSH 2.0, I guess the new information is pretty canon. I don't have the time to compare the rest of the tree, but those should be the most important differences, sinde Edmure was the eldest child in both tree's. He now has a son to inherit from him.

Archived