Small Questions v 10021

Stubby

Since the MUSH is now MUSH 2.0, I guess the new information is pretty canon. I don't have the time to compare the rest of the tree, but those should be the most important differences, sinde Edmure was the eldest child in both tree's. He now has a son to inherit from him.

Yay. Now I just have to hope there's a line in the world book about Lord Elmo summoning his vassals to Riverrun to do him homage and tickle him.

Was the fleet vic fought made up of war ships?

You know the one he he fought Serry in?

No they were longships. I think the only real warships outside the Iron Fleet are the Redwyne fleet and Aurane Water's new ships.

Edit: and maybe one or two that got away with Stannis. Actually no didn't he get a ride home from Salladhor Saan?

Can a landed knight be sworn directly to the Iron Throne? Maybe in the Crownlands?

Is it plausible that Tommen gave Widow's Wail to Loras?

Quote from AffC:

"all that they could ever hope to get from Loras Tyrell was a smile and a flower. Instead she had proclaimed him the boldest knight in the Seven Kingdoms, and smiled as Tommen presented him with a jeweled sword to carry into battle."

Is it plausible that Tommen gave Widow's Wail to Loras?

Quote from AffC:

"all that they could ever hope to get from Loras Tyrell was a smile and a flower. Instead she had proclaimed him the boldest knight in the Seven Kingdoms, and smiled as Tommen presented him with a jeweled sword to carry into battle."

Possible but not likely in the absence of some other hint. A jeweled sword is probably just that.

i have a question about manticores.

the manticore we came across was like an insect.

house lorch has a manticore sigil but it is a traditional winged lion with a stinging tail.

so, do the normal manticores exist as well?

We discussed this a couple threads back starting here.

Can anyone help with the passage about Hoster sending Petyr away from Riverrun after the duel? I can't find it. :bang:

A fortnight passed before Littlefinger was strong enough to leave Riverrun, but her lord father forbade her to visit him in the tower where he lay abed. Lysa helped their maester nurse him; she had been softer and shyer in those days. Edmure had called on him as well, but Petyr had sent him away. Her brother had acted as Brandon’s squire at the duel, and Littlefinger would not forgive that. As soon as he was strong enough to be moved, Lord Hoster Tully sent Petyr Baelish away in a closed litter, to finish his healing on the Fingers, upon the windswept jut of rock where he’d been born.

There are two passages:

Catelyn was past delicacy. “He was my father’s ward. We grew up together in Riverrun. I thought of him as a brother, but his feelings for me were... more than brotherly. When it was announced that I was to wed Brandon Stark, Petyr challenged for the right to my hand. It was madness. Brandon was twenty, Petyr scarcely fifteen. I had to beg Brandon to spare Petyr’s life. He let him off with a scar. Afterward my father sent him away. I have not seen him since.” She lifted her face to the spray, as if the brisk wind could blow the memories away. “He wrote to me at Riverrun after Brandon was killed, but I burned the letter unread. By then I knew that Ned would marry me in his brother’s place.”

When Brandon saw that Petyr wore only helm and breastplate and mail, he took off most of his armor. Petyr had begged her for a favor he might wear, but she had turned him away. Her lord father promised her to Brandon Stark, and so it was to him that she gave her token, a pale blue handscarf she had embroidered with the leaping trout of Riverrun. As she pressed it into his hand, she pleaded with him. “He is only a foolish boy, but I have loved him like a brother. It would grieve me to see him die.” And her betrothed looked at her with the cool grey eyes of a Stark and promised to spare the boy who loved her.

That fight was over almost as soon as it began. Brandon was a man grown, and he drove Littlefinger all the way across the bailey and down the water stair, raining steel on him with every step, until the boy was staggering and bleeding from a dozen wounds. “Yield!” he called, more than once, but Petyr would only shake his head and fight on, grimly. When the river was lapping at their ankles, Brandon finally ended it, with a brutal backhand cut that bit through

Petyr’s rings and leather into the soft flesh below the ribs, so deep that Catelyn was certain that the wound was mortal. He looked at her as he fell and murmured “Cat” as the bright blood came flowing out between his mailed fingers. She thought she had forgotten that.

That was the last time she had seen his face... until the day she was brought before him in King’s Landing.

A fortnight passed before Littlefinger was strong enough to leave Riverrun, but her lord father forbade her to visit him in the tower where he lay abed. Lysa helped their maester nurse him; she had been softer and shyer in those days. Edmure had called on him as well, but Petyr had sent him away. Her brother had acted as Brandon’s squire at the duel, and Littlefinger would not forgive that. As soon as he was strong enough to be moved, Lord Hoster Tully sent Petyr Baelish away in a closed litter, to finish his healing on the Fingers, upon the windswept jut of rock where he’d been born.

Did Rickard travel with Brandon to Riverrun for the wedding? Or did they travel separate? Because there is a passage (can't quote right now) where Bran mentions Lyanna went south and didn't return. Then he mentions that Brandon, Rickard and 200 of his best men went south and did not return, and then he goes on about how Ned, Sansa and Arya are south,and Cat went as well.

He mentions Brandon and Rickard in the same sentence, which suggests that they did travel together, meaning Brandon simply stormed off without Rickards approval when they heard about Lyanna. But why would Rickard bring his 200 best men to a wedding?

Rickard also had his armour with him when he went to KL, meaning he would have had it with him when he was travelling to Riverrun. I guess there might have been a tourney planned, or Hoster lend him one.

But what does this all mean? Did Brandon and Rickard travel together or separate? What do you all think?

Did Rickard travel with Brandon to Riverrun for the wedding? Or did they travel separate? Because there is a passage (can't quote right now) where Bran mentions Lyanna went south and didn't return. Then he mentions that Brandon, Rickard and 200 of his best men went south and did not return, and then he goes on about how Ned, Sansa and Arya are south,and Cat went as well.

He mentions Brandon and Rickard in the same sentence, which suggests that they did travel together, meaning Brandon simply stormed off without Rickards approval when they heard about Lyanna. But why would Rickard bring his 200 best men to a wedding?

Rickard also had his armour with him when he went to KL, meaning he would have had it with him when he was travelling to Riverrun. I guess there might have been a tourney planned, or Hoster lend him one.

But what does this all mean? Did Brandon and Rickard travel together or separate? What do you all think?

All this means it's a big question :)

All this means it's a big question :)

:agree: Judging by this SSM I think it's supposed to be a mystery:

Where was Lord Rickard when the news arrived that Brandon had raced off to King's Landing?

GRRM did not say. He gave us very little information on this.

Catelyn recalls that at Riverrun, Brandon told her that he would return soon for their wedding. Where was he going?

GRRM refused to answer where Brandon was going.

I know they're not exactly what you're looking for but I don't think we're supposed to know yet.

How come Jaime has 3 squires on the way to Riverrun?do all KG lord commanders have them?why 3?

Doesn't Stannis have multiple squires as well? Devan, Davos' son, is mentioned in one of the books IIRC as "one of the royal squires", suggesting there are more.

And Robert had at least two squires: Tyrek and Lancel Lannister.

I guess if you're an important person (like the king, the lord of a bigger castle, the heir to said castle, the LC of the KG etc) you can choose to accept multiple squires.

I doubt all KG Lord Commanders had three though, or that the number 3 is that important.

:agree: Judging by this SSM I think it's supposed to be a mystery:

I know they're not exactly what you're looking for but I don't think we're supposed to know yet.

I had seen those as well.

I was just wondering about the opinion of you all, whether you believed that Rickard was with Brandon when Brandon travelled to Riverrun, or that Rickard was to come after Brandon at a later point in time. I'm working on a theory which could use this bit of info :)

But thanks anyway :D

Doesn't Stannis have multiple squires as well? Devan, Davos' son, is mentioned in one of the books IIRC as "one of the royal squires", suggesting there are more.

And Robert had at least two squires: Tyrek and Lancel Lannister.

I guess if you're an important person (like the king, the lord of a bigger castle, the heir to said castle, the LC of the KG etc) you can choose to accept multiple squires.

I doubt all KG Lord Commanders had three though, or that the number 3 is that important.

Stannis does have 2 squires yes; Devan, Davos' son and some Farring...Gilbert perhaps? Idr his name but its definitely a Farring. Who incidently dies in Dance during the march to Winterfell, leaving Stannis with no squires prior to the battle.

Archived