Small Questions v 10021

Stubby

In aGoT when Catelyn meets with Walder Frey, he mentions he is 90 years old.

In the appendix of aCoK, it is stated Walder is 91 years old.

That suggests that Walder´s nameday is in between Catelyn and Robb´s crossing the Twins, and the turn of the year, which happensat the very end of aGoT IIRC.

In the prologue of aSoS, however, after the year has already turned into 300 AC, Merrett mentions Walder would soon be 92 years old.

All this to calculate when Walder was born and how the wiki arrived at 207 AC. Does anyone know whether or not the prologue is to happen before Joffrey´s wedding, even though it is depicted after? When is Walder's nameday?

I think you're talking about the epilogue. This timeline says that the epilogue is after the PW. The turn of the year is some time after the end of AGOT.

In aGoT when Catelyn meets with Walder Frey, he mentions he is 90 years old.

In the appendix of aCoK, it is stated Walder is 91 years old.

That suggests that Walder´s nameday is in between Catelyn and Robb´s crossing the Twins, and the turn of the year, which happensat the very end of aGoT IIRC.

In the prologue of aSoS, however, after the year has already turned into 300 AC, Merrett mentions Walder would soon be 92 years old.

All this to calculate when Walder was born and how the wiki arrived at 207 AC. Does anyone know whether or not the prologue is to happen before Joffrey´s wedding, even though it is depicted after? When is Walder's nameday?

I always assumed prologues were from the start of the novel. Don't they list people who die throughout the novel?

I meant the epilogue from aSoS, of course :). But my question still stands. When does Walders nameday occur?

Because in that case, Walder would be turning 92 at sometime in 300 AC not long after the new year has begun. So logically you'd say he'd turn 91 when 299 AC has just begun.

He's mentioned to be 90 in 298 AC.

But aCoK, which takes place in 298 for a couple of chapters, mentions he is 91 in the appendix. Does this apply to the situation in the first chapter? Or only for the situation for the majority of the book?

I have a question about a line in Feast. It takes place after Aemon died an Gilly is thinking of a name for the babe...

A name even my lord father might like. A warrior’s name. The boy was Mance Rayder’s son and Craster’s grandson, after all. He had none of Sam’s craven blood. “Yes. Call him that.”

Why does Sam think of Mance's son as Crasters's grandson?????

I have a question about a line in Feast. It takes place after Aemon died an Gilly is thinking of a name for the babe...

Man, independent of you I just noticed the same thing today for the first time.

Perhaps because Gilly is fostering the child, and Craster is her father. Gilly acts as the mother, she is the one who will raise him. And all she knows, she learned by having been raised by Craster. So the child will learn the strength Gilly learned from Craster.

I guess Sam is thinking along those lines.

From this SSM entry: http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/1160

Can someone elaborate?

From the context, I would imagine that he didn't initially imagine Cat dying along with Robb, and that her death came about while he was writing the details. Unlike Tywin's death that he seemed to have planned for a while.

That sounds right to me, but I can't find the SSM where he explains that Cat's death was the result of her or anyone else "taking initiative."

Should anybody still be interested, I asked earlier today how the wiki arrived at Walder Frey having been born in 207 AC, since Merrett Frey in the epilogue of aSoS mentions Walder will turn 92 soon (the year is 300 AC), whereas Walder is 90 in 298 AC, and the appendix of aCoK, whose first chapters take place in 298 AC, and the rest in 299 AC, mentions him as 91 years old.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/102019-the-marriage-of-daenerys-and-maron-martell-how-does-it-fit-in-the-blackfyre-rebellion/?p=5296030

At this thread, I have made a time line from the Dunk and Egg stories, together with By the Old Gods, Not the New. Walder's year of birth was concluded at 207 AC. He would turn 91 most likely at the end of 298 AC (fitting with aGoT and the appendix of aCoK). The only odd thing about this is Merrett's words, but I suppose it is possible the epilogue takes place in between the Red Wedding and the Purple Wedding?

Do you guys think that is possible? Perhaps anyone picked up on missing Frey's Merrett is talking/thinking about and the time in relations to Joffrey's wedding that they went missing?

From the context, I would imagine that he didn't initially imagine Cat dying along with Robb, and that her death came about while he was writing the details. Unlike Tywin's death that he seemed to have planned for a while.

That sounds right to me, but I can't find the SSM where he explains that Cat's death was the result of her or anyone else "taking initiative."

Yeah I was hoping for some quote. I've been going through the SSMs chronologically and I haven't seen any entry where he talked about Cat's death not being planned ahead.

I even think there was some foreshadowing, something about her heart turning to stone.

Yeah I was hoping for some quote. I've been going through the SSMs chronologically and I haven't seen any entry where he talked about Cat's death not being planned ahead.

I even think there was some foreshadowing, something about her heart turning to stone.

From this SSM entry: http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/1160

Can someone elaborate?

Rooseman I'll give my 2c's and say I think it's something other than Grrm meaning he didnt plan Cat's death. There's foreshadowing in Agot and aCok for it happening, if you look at the aCok one it's really clear.

All I can think is I remember watching/reading grrm say often Cat surprises him when he's writing her, but was completely vague about what he meany specifically.

AGOT...

“A wolf with a fish in its mouth?”

ACOK...

she could see her reflection in the breastplate, gazing back at her as if from the bottom of a deep green pond. The face of a drowned woman, Catelyn thought.

On the topic of name pronunciation, is there a universal way to pronounce the "-ys" suffix the appears on far to many character's name tags? For example, I'm pretty sure Daenerys has the "iss" sound at the end, but her ancestor Aenys I's name (I'm pretty sure) is said like "eez" to avoid confusion with the name for the sphincter.

Man, independent of you I just noticed the same thing today for the first time.

Perhaps because Gilly is fostering the child, and Craster is her father. Gilly acts as the mother, she is the one who will raise him. And all she knows, she learned by having been raised by Craster. So the child will learn the strength Gilly learned from Craster.

I guess Sam is thinking along those lines.

:agree: I think it was just Sam illustrating the point that the kid was not a craven, since he seems to see himself that way so often. It has Mance's blood but Gilly's upbringing so it's true in a way.

I meant the epilogue from aSoS, of course :). But my question still stands. When does Walders nameday occur?

Because in that case, Walder would be turning 92 at sometime in 300 AC not long after the new year has begun. So logically you'd say he'd turn 91 when 299 AC has just begun.

He's mentioned to be 90 in 298 AC.

But aCoK, which takes place in 298 for a couple of chapters, mentions he is 91 in the appendix. Does this apply to the situation in the first chapter? Or only for the situation for the majority of the book?

I'm guessing Walder's nameday is the same as Tyrion Tanner's. So how long was Loly's pregnant, anyway?

Rooseman I'll give my 2c's and say I think it's something other than Grrm meaning he didnt plan Cat's death. There's foreshadowing in Agot and aCok for it happening, if you look at the aCok one it's really clear.

All I can think is I remember watching/reading grrm say often Cat surprises him when he's writing her, but was completely vague about what he meany specifically.

AGOT...

ACOK...

What about Alyssa's Tears?

Archived