Small Questions v 10021

Stubby

"That was not news that Eddard Stark welcomed, but it was true enough that they needed help, and Littlefinger had been almost a brother to Cat once. It would not be the first time that Ned had been forced to make common cause with a man he despised. “Very well,” he said, thrusting the dagger into his belt. “You spoke of Varys. Does the eunuch know all of it?”"

AGoT p. 200

Yeah, I think this is about Tywin. Ned's hatred for Tywin grew for having killed Rhaenys and Aegon, two little children. Robert´s reaction to it at the time didn´t help, of course.

And once my sister Rhae put a love potion in my drink, so Id marry her instead of my sister Daella. TSS

Were Daeron and Aerion already married by the time of the events in The Sworn Sword?

Since Aegon has been betrothed apparently to Daella and not Rhae, and Rhae is listed everywhere after Daella, you'd assume that Daella was born closest to Aegon in age, and was perhaps the elder of the two girls.

Aerion didn't have a son until he died in 232 AC, since in 233 AC at the Great Council, Aerion's infant son was passed over. Aerion was presumably born between 191 AC and 193 AC, so he would have been between 42 and 39 when he died. If Rhae had been older than Daella and Aegon, she would have been somewhere in between 192 AC and 197 AC, which would have made her between 40 and 35 at the time of Aerion's death. Way too old for a marriage from which a first child is only now born. So Rhae was most likely the youngest.

The Sworn Sword takes place in 210 AC, making Aerion 19. Aerion, however, was sent to Lys in 208 AC, and it would have been mentioned I think if he had returned. Since Aerion's only child was born many years later, I'd conclude that he was not yet married around the time of TSS.

About Daeron there is little to say. He was Maekar's heir, he most likely would have married first. He had a daughter when he died, though it is unknown when he died. Though he most likely hadn't been married yet in THK, he might have been married by the time of TSS. But nothing of that is mentioned.

Since Aegon has been betrothed apparently to Daella and not Rhae, and Rhae is listed everywhere after Daella, you'd assume that Daella was born closest to Aegon in age, and was perhaps the elder of the two girls.

Aerion didn't have a son until he died in 232 AC, since in 233 AC at the Great Council, Aerion's infant son was passed over. Aerion was presumably born between 191 AC and 193 AC, so he would have been between 42 and 39 when he died. If Rhae had been older than Daella and Aegon, she would have been somewhere in between 192 AC and 197 AC, which would have made her between 40 and 35 at the time of Aerion's death. Way too old for a marriage from which a first child is only now born. So Rhae was most likely the youngest.

The Sworn Sword takes place in 210 AC, making Aerion 19. Aerion, however, was sent to Lys in 208 AC, and it would have been mentioned I think if he had returned. Since Aerion's only child was born many years later, I'd conclude that he was not yet married around the time of TSS.

About Daeron there is little to say. He was Maekar's heir, he most likely would have married first. He had a daughter when he died, though it is unknown when he died. Though he most likely hadn't been married yet in THK, he might have been married by the time of TSS. But nothing of that is mentioned.

Thanks. I knew you'd respond and the answer would be as definitive as possible short of a response from the George himself. By the way, Dunk tells Egg in TSS that Aerion is still in Lys.

"That was not news that Eddard Stark welcomed, but it was true enough that they needed help, and Littlefinger had been almost a brother to Cat once. It would not be the first time that Ned had been forced to make common cause with a man he despised. “Very well,” he said, thrusting the dagger into his belt. “You spoke of Varys. Does the eunuch know all of it?”"

AGoT p. 200

Thanks for putting up the quote. Wrote it before work and didn't have time to check up.

Yeah, I think this is about Tywin. Ned's hatred for Tywin grew for having killed Rhaenys and Aegon, two little children. Robert´s reaction to it at the time didn´t help, of course.

Since I don't know, that's a valid answer. But in the context used by Ned, he would be in direct relations with LF for a common cause, very unlike the sack of KL and the murders of Rhaenys and Aegon.

Since I don't know, that's a valid answer. But in the context used by Ned, he would be in direct relations with LF for a common cause, very unlike the sack of KL and the murders of Rhaenys and Aegon.

That is true. Is there any info in that case about northern lords Ned despises? Or simply hates? I know he doesn't trust Roose Bolton, but what could have happened for them to be forced to make a common cause?

Could Balon Greyjoy be an option, from the Greyjoy Rebelion? Or someone else from the Greyjoy Rebellion? It was the last conflict Ned was involved in prior to aGoT, IIRC.

That is true. Is there any info in that case about northern lords Ned despises? Or simply hates? I know he doesn't trust Roose Bolton, but what could have happened for them to be forced to make a common cause?

Could Balon Greyjoy be an option, from the Greyjoy Rebelion? Or someone else from the Greyjoy Rebellion? It was the last conflict Ned was involved in prior to aGoT, IIRC.

I'm sure he was thinking Tywin.

Since things in this series seem to be repeats of historical(asoiaf) events, does anyone remember any of them that have repeated more than once?

For me there are clear parallels between characters or their actions. But you have to be a little more specific than that. What are you looking for?

For me there are clear parallels between characters or their actions. But you have to be a little more specific than that. What are you looking for?

Like maybe instead of things happening that have happened before maybe they've happened more than that. Like maybe AA/LH weren't the same person but were both heroes from different eras. Or maybe the CotF summoned(created) the Others and then lost control at which point the Others created(started using) the Wights but have now lost control of them.

edt: I guess what I'm asking is if there are anymore instances where the same repitition could be true?

Like maybe instead of things happening that have happened before maybe they've happened more than that. Like maybe AA/LH weren't the same person but were both heroes from different eras. Or maybe the CotF summoned(created) the Others and then lost control at which point the Others created(started using) the Wights but have now lost control of them.

edt: I guess what I'm asking is if there are anymore instances where the same repitition could be true?

Hey Mindchap you know you're in SQ?

Hey Mindchap you know you're in SQ?

I know, I was just asking if anyone remembered any instances like that before I went on a wild goose chase. I wasn't meaning for anyone to go looking just trying to see if anyone remembered anything. Like I know we have two "Dance" situations, and then there's the two "Kingsmoot" things, I just wondered if anyone recalled there being a suggestion of three with any of them. :)

I know, I was just asking if anyone remembered any instances like that before I went on a wild goose chase. I wasn't meaning for anyone to go looking just trying to see if anyone remembered anything. Like I know we have two "Dance" situations, and then there's the two "Kingsmoot" things, I just wondered if anyone recalled there being a suggestion of three with any of them. :)

3 major disasters come to mind - Doom of Valyria, Hardhome, Hammer of the Waters (if we could conisder that historical and not legend). Also, somewhat less fitiing - probably Rat Cook - Red Wedding- Frey pies?

ETA: Oh, and three Reeks - Original, Ramsay in disguise, Theon.

Mindchap, perhaps Cersei becomming obsessed with fire just as Aerys was? Jaime did note she had the same look in her eyes when burning down the tower of the hand as Aerys always did when burning a man, IIRC.

Do you mean something like this?

Like that but one made up of three, like for example, if Aerys was behaving in a way that reflected an earlier monarch.

3 major disasters come to mind - Doom of Valyria, Hardhome, Hammer of the Waters (if we could conisder that historical and not legend). Also, somewhat less fitiing - probably Rat Cook - Red Wedding- Frey pies?

ETA: Oh, and three Reeks - Original, Ramsay in disguise, Theon.

That's closer to what I was thinking.

Most likely I'm just overthinking things. Thanks for the help though. :)

Like that but one made up of three, like for example, if Aerys was behaving in a way that reflected an earlier monarch.

That's closer to what I was thinking.

Most likely I'm just overthinking things. Thanks for the help though. :)

Are there three rather spectacular fails at hatching dragon eggs perhaps? Someone else could probably do this better *cough* Rhaenys *cough* but maybe Summerhall - Aerion (although he was trying to turn into a dragon) and someone else perhaps?

Archived