Daenerys Stormborn - A Re-Read Project Part I: AGoT

MoIaF

Two quick thoughts: 1. It is difficult to make sense of the whole thing. Overall, I'd say that I question Varys's actions more than Illyrio's. One possibility is that GRRM didn't (and perhaps still doesn't) have everything worked out. 2. Illyrio is a merchant. He wants to make a profit. It seems he has already done this in the case of the Drogo-Daenerys wedding. The man "had collected a fortune in horses and slaves..." That, at least, was Dany's impression, and I think she'd probably know about the matter. Most likely, the cheesemonger would like to do even better, perhaps become the master of coin in King's Landing. It wouldn't matter to him exactly how this happened. He doesn't expound any ideology or proclaim fealty to any dynasty. Viserys, Daenerys, Aegon--all of this could be just a matter of hedging his bets.

Because we don't have all the information it's all very muddled. I think in the end what really bothers me is that for two men (or one if Varys is the true mastermind) to plan something for a dozen years and then leave an integral part of their plan up to someone who has been shown to be unbalanced (Viserys) makes little sense to me.

Had that been truly important it would have unraveled their plans because as we know Viserys was never able to accomplish what they had wanted him to accomplish. Either Varys isn’t the mastermind we believe him to be or that wasn’t an important part of the plan.

Because we don't have all the information it's all very muddled. I think in the end what really bothers me is that for two men (or one if Varys is the true mastermind) to plan something for a dozen years and then leave an integral part of their plan up to someone who has been shown to be unbalanced (Viserys) makes little sense to me.

Had that been truly important it would have unraveled their plans because as we know Viserys was never able to accomplish what they had wanted him to accomplish. Either Varys isn’t the mastermind we believe him to be or that wasn’t an important part of the plan.

We have been discussing it heavily on this thread.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/104312-aegon-is-real-version-30/

I was wrong about Illyrio sending the letter to try to get Dany killed. After much discussion, it seems much more likely he was just still trying to get her to go back to Westeros, so that when Aegon landed there he could marry her.

But MoIaF you are right about Viserys not being a vital part of the plan. He was part of one of Illyrio's 5 plans that have been constantly changing since Dany and Viserys started living with Illyrio. But after he died they just made a new plan really fast, so obviously they werent too upset about Viserys. Clearly the 'real' plan all along was to get Aegon on the IT. Dany, the dragons, Viserys, Drogo, the dothraki, the GC, JonCon and Lemore are all just pawns they are moving around to achieve their final end goal of restoring House Blackfyre and taking the IT.

But MoIaF you are right about Viserys not being a vital part of the plan. He was part of one of Illyrio's 5 plans that have been constantly changing since Dany and Viserys started living with Illyrio. But after he died they just made a new plan really fast, so obviously they werent too upset about Viserys. Clearly the 'real' plan all along was to get Aegon on the IT. Dany, the dragons, Viserys, Drogo, the dothraki, the GC, JonCon and Lemore are all just pawns they are moving around to achieve their final end goal of restoring House Blackfyre and taking the IT.

Well, Varys may be dedicated to putting House Blackfyre on the throne. Illyrio's interest in the house is surely only contingent. If he wants Aegon in power, it's only because Varys wants this. He is currently working with Varys. Illyrio's cause is Illyrio. He'd work with the Others if he saw a good possibility of profit in doing so.

"The Great Sheperd guards the flock" - that I suppose is the key here and sadly up for various interpretations. While reading it I thought the reverse of what you're saying here - that Oh Rider, the great shepherd still guards us, we're not as powerless as you take us to be. I'm not really convinced on TStmTW point because I don't believe she knew about the prophecy when the town was sacked, she must've come to know about it during her time in the Khalasar. And yet she is eager to help the Khal right away, and we know it is that treatment that led the wound to fester. So I believe she acted with a plan right from the start.

I like the Sansa parallel here that you suggest. The only difference between the two girls being that Sansa doesn't have any actual power in KL, and manages to save Dontos only by her glib tongue quick thinking. Dany on the other hand saves the girls by exercising real power, even if that is being derived from her husband.

My theory on MMD is that she came in as a healer, and was waiting for the right opportunity to get her revenge for her people, in other words guarding the flock. Unfortunately she was able to get that opportunity. I agree she also may have found out about the prophecy during her time in the khalasar.

My theory on MMD is that she came in as a healer, and was waiting for the right opportunity to get her revenge for her people, in other words guarding the flock. Unfortunately she was able to get that opportunity. I agree she also may have found out about the prophecy during her time in the khalasar.

Yes. I too believe that her intentions were that of revenge all the time. Despite the treatment the bloodriders gave her, Dany treated her with all respect, even asked her to deliver her child. So I can't believe she grew bitter with Dany after joining the Khalasar. Also, she is clearly a bloodmage, so it is hard for me to assume that all she did, she did to save the world from the crusades of TStmtW.

Yes. I too believe that her intentions were that of revenge all the time. Despite the treatment the bloodriders gave her, Dany treated her with all respect, even asked her to deliver her child. So I can't believe she grew bitter with Dany after joining the Khalasar. Also, she is clearly a bloodmage, so it is hard for me to assume that all she did, she did to save the world from the crusades of TStmtW.

Even if she intended revenge from the outset, I find it hard to object to her reasons for that revenge.

If you were a powerful magician, who had seen all your friends and neighbours butchered, tortured, raped, enslaved, (and been gang-raped as well), at the behest of an invading warlord and his wife, you'd want to use your magic to hurt them any way you could. You'd have to be a saint to refrain from taking revenge.

Even if she intended revenge from the outset, I find it hard to object to her reasons for that revenge.

If you were a powerful magician, who had seen all your friends and neighbours butchered, tortured, raped, enslaved, (and been gang-raped as well), at the behest of an invading warlord and his wife, you'd want to use your magic to hurt them any way you could. You'd have to be a saint to refrain from taking revenge.

I see your point, and I guess yes, it was hard for her not to take revenge. :( I should not let my character bias ruin my judgement.

I see your point, and I guess yes, it was hard for her not to take revenge. :( I should not let my character bias ruin my judgement.

Yeah, it took me a couple reads, and a lot of discussion here to realize just how sympathetic MMD really was. I can totally understand why she did what she did, but can also understand why Dany felt so betrayed, and took such harsh revenge.

Public Services Announcement

Arya kiddin' will have his analysis in tomorrow, Monday, February 24.

Now, back to our regularly schedule program.

Man!!! That Targaryens are not fit to rule thread really got crazy! I didn't get on all weekend, I knew it would make me in a bad mood. The 'Hate' on this forum is enough to give someone a brain tumor. What is so hard about people admitting they are wrong? I admit to being wrong all the time......I would never presume to say that I had all 5 books, D&E and PATQ completely memorized by heart.......

Some of the Targaryen/Dany haters can't even discuss the books with any clarity or accuracy, it's all just rude shouting and nonsensical statements......I can't take the General Discussion Forum anymore. It's just not fun, It is supposed to be a civilized literature discussion!! I'm sick of it.

Man!!! That Targaryens are not fit to rule thread really got crazy! I didn't get on all weekend, I knew it would make me in a bad mood. The 'Hate' on this forum is enough to give someone a brain tumor. What is so hard about people admitting they are wrong? I admit to being wrong all the time......I would never presume to say that I had all 5 books, D&E and PATQ completely memorized by heart.......

Some of the Targaryen/Dany haters can't even discuss the books with any clarity or accuracy, it's all just rude shouting and nonsensical statements......I can't take the General Discussion Forum anymore. It's just not fun, It is supposed to be a civilized literature discussion!! I'm sick of it.

You fogot /end vent :D

Indeed. General forums nowadays are either full of the same repetitive discussions or character hate. But they ran out of arguments fast on that thread. Anyhow, let's not discuss it here anymore.

Indeed. General forums nowadays are either full of the same repetitive discussions or character hate. But they ran out of arguments fast on that thread. Anyhow, let's not discuss it here anymore.

I'm sorry, just needed to vent a little after I read it all. this is the only thread I feel safe on :) Thanx to everyone so far for such civil and in depth discussion. Loving it :grouphug:

I'm sorry, just needed to vent a little after I read it all. this is the only thread I feel safe on :) Thanx to everyone so far for such civil and in depth discussion. Loving it :grouphug:

Things can get heated at times. On one thread, I was accused of being an apologist for sex with children.

Daenerys VIII, AGoT – Only Death can pay for life

Summary:

The chapter begins with the Khalasar silently trudging through a wild barren wasteland. The weather is extremely hot, and the bloodflies are present in abundance. Daenerys recounts that earlier whenever a bloodfly would come near the Khal, he would catch the fly, quick as a snake and kill it squashing it in the palm of his hand. Now many flies are circling around him and he is not bothered at all – not for lack of patience but for lack of strength. The Khal is wearing the mud-pack the herbwomen made for him. He found it more soothing than the pack Mirri Maz Duur had made for him, which stung and burned. Also, he had been drinking both poppy and pepper beer, something MMD advised against. The Khal’s wound was far from healed, he was avoiding eating food, and he thrashed and groaned in the night from pain.

Daenerys clearly dismayed by such inactivity from her lord husband moves closer to him and touches his arm, and the Khal falls down from his horse. Dany dismounts and goes to him, and finds him burning with fever. Drogo’s eyes are unfocused, and he doesn’t recognize Dany. She bids the Khalasar halt and tells the Khal’s bloodriders to make camp, and call Mirri Maz Duur. She is met with defiance from the bloodriders initially, as the wasteland is no camping ground, and they distrust the Maegi, but in the end they give in when she uses Drogo’s name.

Daenerys takes Drogo inside the tent with her three handmaids and Eroeh, the Lhazareen she rescued and took under her protection. Dany summons her khas and bids them to guard the tent. Together with her maids, she strips Drogo and puts him in a bath, to bring the fever down. The water around here is unclean and full of sulphur, but they have to make do. It is clear up to this point that Khal Drogo is dying. When Eroeh mentions this, Dany slaps her. The khal is unable to make any intelligible conversation at this point apart from the occasional “My horse” or “must ride”.

Ser Jorah comes to the tent as he comes to know that the Khal had fallen from his horse. Apparently it is a rather big deal for the Dothraki. When Dany asks him for help he tells her to send her maids away. When he and Dany are left alone, he gently scrapes away the mud pack and discovers that the wound has festered, and nothing is left there but corruption and pus. Jorah dispels any delusions Dany was having so far that the Khal is going to survive now. Dany still refuses to believe this. Jorah suggests that they should leave before the Khal is dead – to Asshai in the South and to Pentos afterwards. He believes Dany will either be killed after the Khal dies to remove the threat her son poses, or she will be taken to Dosh Khaleen to join the crones. He also asks her if she believes her Khas will keep to their vows of keeping her safe if need be. But even after all this Dany refuses to let go of Drogo, even if it meant compromising her own safety.

MMD enters the tent at this moment with the Khal’s bloodriders. She observes that the wound has festered, and concludes it is because the Khal turned down the poultice she was making. Qotho thinks that the Khal’s condition is MMD’s dirty work. Haggo delivers a punch on MMD’s face and starts kicking her. Qotho then starts flinging more obscenities on MMD, and even threatens to humiliate Dany in the same way before Dany threatens them that she will call her Khas and Ser Jorah intervenes himself. After that the bloodriders withdraw.

Jorah thinks that the bloodriders have become dangerous now, as they see their life at an end. Daenerys understands the gravity of the situation and asks Ser Jorah to go don his armor. It also gives her some time to discuss what she wishes with MMD alone.

Dany asks MMD to help Drogo. MMD tells her that Drogo had ignored following her instructions, and had been drinking poppy and wine. She says that the Khal will be gone by morning. All that can be done now is ease his pain. At this point Dany asks desperately for some way, some magic she may know. MMD replies that there might be one way – bloodmagic which may save the Khal yet. Dany agrees to it. MMD mentions there is a price for this magic – only death can pay for life. Dany thinks that it is fine with her if she has to die so her husband survives, but MMD dispels this notion and tells her it is someone else’s life that is needed. She asks for the Khal’s horse. Jhogo tells Dany that bloodmagic is forbidden, but she is not dissuaded.

So as Drogo lingers in the bath, MMD cuts his horse’s throat and starts chanting hymns and mantras – sprinkling powders into the fire of many colours and scents. She also says that no one must come inside the tent now as ‘the dead’ will dance here tonight.

Outside the sun was almost setting. Jorah thinks it was foolish of Dany to decide to stay when they had an opportunity to flee. Inside MMD’s voice rises high, the braziers turn brighter and they see shadows dancing inside the tent. Qotho’s patience finally runs out and he tries to enter the tent to kill MMD, shoving Dany away. Cohollo spits full in Dany’s face. Dany commands her Khas to kill Qotho. A battle ensues in which all the three bloodriders are killed by Jorah and Dany’s Khas. Quaro is the only casualty from their side. All the while people had been flinging stones at them. Dany’s water finally breaks as she feels the pain in her womb, her time had finally come – something that was built up in the entire battle sequence. No birthing women is ready to come near Dany however, naming her accursed. Ser Jorah remembers that the Maegi had mentioned that she knows the arts of birthing, so he carries Dany inside the tent, where the chapter ends.

Observations:

1. The relationship between a man and his horse is the most intimate relationship in Dothraki culture. Riding is a representation of strength and authority, so a Khal who cannot ride is no Khal at all. Even during late pregnancy, Dany is expected to ride.

There are other instances also – like the Dothraki belief that the first man had come riding out of the Womb of the World on the back of the first horse. When a man dies, his horse is burned alongside him so he can ride in the starry Khalasar of the night sky. Also, a man in the Khalasar can share his wives, but never his mount. So the relationship between a man and his horse is more intimate than a man and his spouse – as the horse is the most constant companion.

This is the reason that Khal Drogo keeps insisting on riding on and calling for his horse – this is his first instinct even as he lies dying when even the recognition of his wife has fled.

Also, this is the reason that the Khal’s fall from his horse was taken as a very ominous news – a sign that Drogo is no longer capable to be a Khal.

2. It is clearly shown here that a woman can never have full command in Dothraki culture (at least for now :P ), and all her authority derives from her husband alone. The way the bloodriders keep treating and disobeying Dany suggests that. It is only Drogo’s name that binds them to obey her, nothing else.

Not only that, Haggo even suggests to humiliate Dany in the same way as the slave MMD – tying her up outside to be a ‘mount’ to every passing man.

3. The Dothraki call Jorah “The Andal” even if he is actually from the North and likely has First Men as his ancestors. The Dothraki are here clearly unaware of the cultural mix or geographical disparity of Westerosi people.

4. Even as Dany’s child was hailed as the stallion that mounts the world in Vaes Dothrak (where all Khalasars are one), clearly no one would accept such a figure thrust upon them as a leader. The Dothraki for all their superstitious beliefs are very practical at this – they follow strength not prophecies.

5. “There is great healing magic in fire” - Fire doesn’t just have the aspect of destruction clearly. A good parallel for Dany in general – she is the fire that will heal the land. (All hail!! :lol: )

6. Dany correctly notes that the ritual of eating Stallion’s heart is very close to bloodmagic that Mirri is attempting. It becomes clearer with the line: “Strength of the mount go into the rider” etc.

7. The aromatic powders to turn the fire red – that type of magic used by Mirri is curiously similar to what Melisandre does. She is clearly meant to be seen as a base from which the readers can draw comparisons to Melisandre later on. She sacrifices Rhaego, an unborn child who has done nothing so far, to save the world she says, so that many more villages are spared the fate of rapine and plunder her village had. Melisandre shares similar utilitarian morals – kill one innocent boy Edric Storm to avert the Long Night so many more can live on.

8. Blood sacrificing ritual is very similar to what we know of similar rituals of the First Men and CotF. The ‘leaf’ shaped blade (CotF reference) was covered with glyphs (First Men glyphs? Like Bronze Yohn’s armor? ) and was made of Bronze like the blades CotF and FM used. *sigh* The reference could not be clearer – Martin is practically screaming the similarities in my opinion. :smug:

9. I just wanted to comment that the battle sequence is very well done by Martin here – it is very visual.

Analysis:

1. It looks unusual for the Khal to die of an infected wound in a matter of perhaps a week. Such a wound takes a good time to fester. I believe MMD had already done the work with her first poultice – or so I suspect.

2. Dany handles the bloodriders quite deftly in the initial confrontation. She knows she can waste no time in telling them what oath they have etc to follow her commands. She keeps her calm under all the pressure

3. Drogo has lost his consciousness when he fell. From his subconscious he gets the urge to keep riding on - something he clearly sees as his duty as the Khal. Also he mumbles ‘no’ in the common tongue – even if his eyes have failed him, Daenerys and the time they spent together is still in his thoughts.

4. Dany refuses to let go of Drogo despite several warning signs. First Eroeh says that Drogo is dying, she refuses to believe it. Then Jorah tells her of all the dangers she and her child are in when Drogo dies. She still refuses to leave him behind to die. Even when Mirri tells her that only death may for life – she is ready to sacrifice herself to revive Drogo. It would be wrong to say that the relationship that Dany and Drogo had was one of slave and master – theirs was a much truer and purer relationship of love.

5. Curiously, Dany contemplates herself sacrificing for Drogo comparing herself to Rhaegar who died for the woman he loved. She is compared to Rhaegar more than Jon ever is who is shown to be more of the North – closer to Lyanna and Ned.

6. The quickness with which Ser Jorah takes measure of the situation and suggests the way is admirable. His idea of going to Pentos by way of Asshai has its merits, as we clearly see how much the bloodriders have come to hate her. Even the Khalasar denounced her when they started flinging stones on her during the battle outside the tent. This is debatable however, if at this point is he loyal to Dany (he does mentions in Dance that he was still in touch with Varys as far as Qarth) or whether it his scheme to whisk Dany away completely under his power.

7. Inside the tent we see that the shadows are dancing – one in the shape of a great wolf and the other in the shape of a man wreathed in flames. This again is a curious ‘ice and fire’ reference or foreshadowing I’m not quite able to resolve, so I’d like us all to discuss this point.

8. The way the chapter ends – we see that the mistake was ultimately committed by Jorah. He carried Dany inside the tent while MMD had forbidden anyone to enter; of course he did so with good intentions. So MMD situation becomes more complex than ever – she would not have been able to kill Rhaego forbidding Dany to enter the tent. I believe all she ever wanted to do was exercise revenge on Drogo, which she did. What she did afterwards by making a vegetable out of him was just to give Daenerys a lesson. She never intended to kill Rhaego, but she never feels sorry for the death of a child prophesied to wreak havoc on the face of the earth either. Let’s debate more on the entire Mirri episode as well.

Conclusion:

In conclusion this one chapter advances the plot very far. The khalasar’s faith in Drogo and Dany completely dissolves, MMD shows that magic does exist in the world which in turn will later become Dany’s inspiration for the pyre episode, and Jorah is shown to be a rather practical man quite aware of the culture of Essossi – especially Dothraki people. We also see a connection between Mirri’s bloodmagic that derives from Asshai in the Far East, to be very similar as practiced by Children of the Forest in the West – a beautiful picture of closure and ‘one-ness’ of magic. We also see a similar ‘ice and fire’ foreshadowing in the shadows in the tent which might be important later.

Most importantly the chapter sheds more light on MMD’s actions and the way they impacted Dany’s life forever, though her intentions are clearly still up for debate. J

Daenerys VIII, AGoT – Only Death can pay for life

Summary:

The chapter begins with the Khalasar silently trudging through a wild barren wasteland. The weather is extremely hot, and the bloodflies are present in abundance. Daenerys recounts that earlier whenever a bloodfly would come near the Khal, he would catch the fly, quick as a snake and kill it squashing it in the palm of his hand. Now many flies are circling around him and he is not bothered at all – not for lack of patience but for lack of strength. The Khal is wearing the mud-pack the herbwomen made for him. He found it more soothing than the pack Mirri Maz Duur had made for him, which stung and burned. Also, he had been drinking both poppy and pepper beer, something MMD advised against. The Khal’s wound was far from healed, he was avoiding eating food, and he thrashed and groaned in the night from pain.

Daenerys clearly dismayed by such inactivity from her lord husband moves closer to him and touches his arm, and the Khal falls down from his horse. Dany dismounts and goes to him, and finds him burning with fever. Drogo’s eyes are unfocused, and he doesn’t recognize Dany. She bids the Khalasar halt and tells the Khal’s bloodriders to make camp, and call Mirri Maz Duur. She is met with defiance from the bloodriders initially, as the wasteland is no camping ground, and they distrust the Maegi, but in the end they give in when she uses Drogo’s name.

Daenerys takes Drogo inside the tent with her three handmaids and Eroeh, the Lhazareen she rescued and took under her protection. Dany summons her khas and bids them to guard the tent. Together with her maids, she strips Drogo and puts him in a bath, to bring the fever down. The water around here is unclean and full of sulphur, but they have to make do. It is clear up to this point that Khal Drogo is dying. When Eroeh mentions this, Dany slaps her. The khal is unable to make any intelligible conversation at this point apart from the occasional “My horse” or “must ride”.

Ser Jorah comes to the tent as he comes to know that the Khal had fallen from his horse. Apparently it is a rather big deal for the Dothraki. When Dany asks him for help he tells her to send her maids away. When he and Dany are left alone, he gently scrapes away the mud pack and discovers that the wound has festered, and nothing is left there but corruption and pus. Jorah dispels any delusions Dany was having so far that the Khal is going to survive now. Dany still refuses to believe this. Jorah suggests that they should leave before the Khal is dead – to Asshai in the South and to Pentos afterwards. He believes Dany will either be killed after the Khal dies to remove the threat her son poses, or she will be taken to Dosh Khaleen to join the crones. He also asks her if she believes her Khas will keep to their vows of keeping her safe if need be. But even after all this Dany refuses to let go of Drogo, even if it meant compromising her own safety.

MMD enters the tent at this moment with the Khal’s bloodriders. She observes that the wound has festered, and concludes it is because the Khal turned down the poultice she was making. Qotho thinks that the Khal’s condition is MMD’s dirty work. Haggo delivers a punch on MMD’s face and starts kicking her. Qotho then starts flinging more obscenities on MMD, and even threatens to humiliate Dany in the same way before Dany threatens them that she will call her Khas and Ser Jorah intervenes himself. After that the bloodriders withdraw.

Jorah thinks that the bloodriders have become dangerous now, as they see their life at an end. Daenerys understands the gravity of the situation and asks Ser Jorah to go don his armor. It also gives her some time to discuss what she wishes with MMD alone.

Dany asks MMD to help Drogo. MMD tells her that Drogo had ignored following her instructions, and had been drinking poppy and wine. She says that the Khal will be gone by morning. All that can be done now is ease his pain. At this point Dany asks desperately for some way, some magic she may know. MMD replies that there might be one way – bloodmagic which may save the Khal yet. Dany agrees to it. MMD mentions there is a price for this magic – only death can pay for life. Dany thinks that it is fine with her if she has to die so her husband survives, but MMD dispels this notion and tells her it is someone else’s life that is needed. She asks for the Khal’s horse. Jhogo tells Dany that bloodmagic is forbidden, but she is not dissuaded.

So as Drogo lingers in the bath, MMD cuts his horse’s throat and starts chanting hymns and mantras – sprinkling powders into the fire of many colours and scents. She also says that no one must come inside the tent now as ‘the dead’ will dance here tonight.

Outside the sun was almost setting. Jorah thinks it was foolish of Dany to decide to stay when they had an opportunity to flee. Inside MMD’s voice rises high, the braziers turn brighter and they see shadows dancing inside the tent. Qotho’s patience finally runs out and he tries to enter the tent to kill MMD, shoving Dany away. Cohollo spits full in Dany’s face. Dany commands her Khas to kill Qotho. A battle ensues in which all the three bloodriders are killed by Jorah and Dany’s Khas. Quaro is the only casualty from their side. All the while people had been flinging stones at them. Dany’s water finally breaks as she feels the pain in her womb, her time had finally come – something that was built up in the entire battle sequence. No birthing women is ready to come near Dany however, naming her accursed. Ser Jorah remembers that the Maegi had mentioned that she knows the arts of birthing, so he carries Dany inside the tent, where the chapter ends.

Observations:

1. The relationship between a man and his horse is the most intimate relationship in Dothraki culture. Riding is a representation of strength and authority, so a Khal who cannot ride is no Khal at all. Even during late pregnancy, Dany is expected to ride.

There are other instances also – like the Dothraki belief that the first man had come riding out of the Womb of the World on the back of the first horse. When a man dies, his horse is burned alongside him so he can ride in the starry Khalasar of the night sky. Also, a man in the Khalasar can share his wives, but never his mount. So the relationship between a man and his horse is more intimate than a man and his spouse – as the horse is the most constant companion.

This is the reason that Khal Drogo keeps insisting on riding on and calling for his horse – this is his first instinct even as he lies dying when even the recognition of his wife has fled.

Also, this is the reason that the Khal’s fall from his horse was taken as a very ominous news – a sign that Drogo is no longer capable to be a Khal.

2. It is clearly shown here that a woman can never have full command in Dothraki culture (at least for now: P ), and all her authority derives from her husband alone. The way the bloodriders keep treating and disobeying Dany suggests that. It is only Drogo’s name that binds them to obey her, nothing else.

Not only that, Haggo even suggests to humiliate Dany in the same way as the slave MMD – tying her up outside to be a ‘mount’ to every passing man.

3. The Dothraki call Jorah “The Andal” even if he is actually from the North and likely has First Men as his ancestors. The Dothraki are here clearly unaware of the cultural mix or geographical disparity of Westerosi people.

4. Even as Dany’s child was hailed as the stallion that mounts the world in Vaes Dothrak (where all Khalasars are one), clearly no one would accept such a figure thrust upon them as a leader. The Dothraki for all their superstitious beliefs are very practical at this – they follow strength not prophecies.

5. “There is great healing magic in fire” - Fire doesn’t just have the aspect of destruction clearly. A good parallel for Dany in general – she is the fire that will heal the land. (All hail!! :lol: )

6. Dany correctly notes that the ritual of eating Stallion’s heart is very close to bloodmagic that Mirri is attempting. It becomes clearer with the line: “Strength of the mount go into the rider” etc.

7. The aromatic powders to turn the fire red – that type of magic used by Mirri is curiously similar to what Melisandre does. She is clearly meant to be seen as a base from which the readers can draw comparisons to Melisandre later on. She sacrifices Rhaego, an unborn child who has done nothing so far, to save the world she says, so that many more villages are spared the fate of rapine and plunder her village had. Melisandre shares similar utilitarian morals – kill one innocent boy Edric Storm to avert the Long Night so many more can live on.

8. Blood sacrificing ritual is very similar to what we know of similar rituals of the First Men and CotF. The ‘leaf’ shaped blade (CotF reference) was covered with glyphs (First Men glyphs? Like Bronze Yohn’s armor? ) and was made of Bronze like the blades CotF and FM used. *sigh* The reference could not be clearer – Martin is practically screaming the similarities in my opinion. :smug:

9. I just wanted to comment that the battle sequence is very well done by Martin here – it is very visual.

Analysis:

1. It looks unusual for the Khal to die of an infected wound in a matter of perhaps a week. Such a wound takes a good time to fester. I believe MMD had already done the work with her first poultice – or so I suspect.

2. Dany handles the bloodriders quite deftly in the initial confrontation. She knows she can waste no time in telling them what oath they have etc to follow her commands. She keeps her calm under all the pressure

3. Drogo has lost his consciousness when he fell. From his subconscious he gets the urge to keep riding on - something he clearly sees as his duty as the Khal. Also he mumbles ‘no’ in the common tongue – even if his eyes have failed him, Daenerys and the time they spent together is still in his thoughts.

4. Dany refuses to let go of Drogo despite several warning signs. First Eroeh says that Drogo is dying, she refuses to believe it. Then Jorah tells her of all the dangers she and her child are in when Drogo dies. She still refuses to leave him behind to die. Even when Mirri tells her that only death may for life – she is ready to sacrifice herself to revive Drogo. It would be wrong to say that the relationship that Dany and Drogo had was one of slave and master – theirs was a much truer and purer relationship of love.

5. Curiously, Dany contemplates herself sacrificing for Drogo comparing herself to Rhaegar who died for the woman he loved. She is compared to Rhaegar more than Jon ever is who is shown to be more of the North – closer to Lyanna and Ned.

6. The quickness with which Ser Jorah takes measure of the situation and suggests the way is admirable. His idea of going to Pentos by way of Asshai has its merits, as we clearly see how much the bloodriders have come to hate her. Even the Khalasar denounced her when they started flinging stones on her during the battle outside the tent. This is debatable however, if at this point is he loyal to Dany (he does mentions in Dance that he was still in touch with Varys as far as Qarth) or whether it his scheme to whisk Dany away completely under his power.

7. Inside the tent we see that the shadows are dancing – one in the shape of a great wolf and the other in the shape of a man wreathed in flames. This again is a curious ‘ice and fire’ reference or foreshadowing I’m not quite able to resolve, so I’d like us all to discuss this point.

8. The way the chapter ends – we see that the mistake was ultimately committed by Jorah. He carried Dany inside the tent while MMD had forbidden anyone to enter; of course he did so with good intentions. So MMD situation becomes more complex than ever – she would not have been able to kill Rhaego forbidding Dany to enter the tent. I believe all she ever wanted to do was exercise revenge on Drogo, which she did. What she did afterwards by making a vegetable out of him was just to give Daenerys a lesson. She never intended to kill Rhaego, but she never feels sorry for the death of a child prophesied to wreak havoc on the face of the earth either. Let’s debate more on the entire Mirri episode as well.

Conclusion:

In conclusion this one chapter advances the plot very far. The khalasar’s faith in Drogo and Dany completely dissolves, MMD shows that magic does exist in the world which in turn will later become Dany’s inspiration for the pyre episode, and Jorah is shown to be a rather practical man quite aware of the culture of Essossi – especially Dothraki people. We also see a connection between Mirri’s bloodmagic that derives from Asshai in the Far East, to be very similar as practiced by Children of the Forest in the West – a beautiful picture of closure and ‘one-ness’ of magic. We also see a similar ‘ice and fire’ foreshadowing in the shadows in the tent which might be important later.

Most importantly the chapter sheds more light on MMD’s actions and the way they impacted Dany’s life forever, though her intentions are clearly still up for debate. J

Excellent analysis, Arya kiddin'! :bowdown:

I'm on my way out, soI'll jot down the notes I took, I'll be back in the evening. :)

• I agree, the chapter starts off very ominously with the flies flying around Khal Drogo, signally to the reader that death is on its way. For days Drogo has not been himself, and now he is not even paying attention to the flies around him when in the past he hated them and caught them with his hand, as you mentioned.

• In the previous chapter when Haggo accuses MMD of being a maegi she tells him that she is a godswife a healer. Clearly misrepresenting herself from the beginning she wants to win the good graces of the Khal and his wife even mentioning that she has been trained in the art of birthing songs. However, one Drogo’s health deteriorates she admits to being a maegi and furthermore tells Dany that only a maegi can save Drogo now. Clearly putting herself in a position to do whatever she planned on doing.

• Ser Jorah as always is the voice of reality and practicality. Assessing the situation he realized that Khal Drogo is dying and if Dany doesn’t leave soon it will not be good for her. He realizes that both Dany and Rhaego are in danger. Although a Khal can pass down his khalasar to his son, her son must be fully grown in order to maintain the khalasar. No one will follow a child just because his father was a khal. Dany feardul of what my happen asks Ser Jorah to put his armor on.
  • “You do not as a slave” Miri replied sharply “you tell her.” I found this quote to be a very curious think for MMD to say. Why would she say this to Dany what was the purpose.
  • I found the scene where Dany is asking MMD to do something very eerie, when Dany is mentioning to her things that she could do, MMD cuts her off when Dany mentions magic, telling her that there might be something she could do. Dany relieved to hear that something can be done wants it done right away without thinking of the consequences.\
  • MMD tells her that “Only death pays for life” instantly Dany thinks of her own life and hugs herself in fear. While contemplating this sacrifice she tells herself that is her brother Rhaegar died for the woman she loved so would she. However, MMD tells her it’s not her life she needs and then asks for Drogo’s stallion saying: “We need the blood” Mirri answered. “This is the way”. This is an insinuation to Dany and the reader that the stallion is the blood sacrifice that will be needed to bring back Drogo.

Later on Dany thinks to herself: “Only a horse” Dany though, if she could buy Drogo’s life with the death of a horse, she would pay a thousand times over” Clearly believing that the sacrifice of the stallion was what was needed to do the blood magic.

• I also thought it was interesting how Dany compared the ritual of eating the stallions heart to that of blood magic.

• Dany gets accused by Drogo’s bloodriders of being a maegi and they try to kill her. Dany’s khas Aggo, Jhogo, Rakharo and Ser Jorah stop them from killing Dany. After everything that happened Dany’s khas stayed loyal to her and did not leave when almost everyone else did. They disagreed with her but they still followed her orders and defended her.

• Aggo, Doreah, and Irri tell Jorah to take Dany to the maegi once Dnay goes into labor as the maegi had claimed that she knew the birthing songs. None of them including Jorah know that no one is usppose to enter the tent. Dany is in too much pain to tell them not to bring her into the tent.

• It seems that the only person who can see the shadows dancing inside the tent is Dany. Why is she the only one who could see them? Is it because MMD had made her part of the ritual (by carrying Rhaego)?

Archived