Who are the old gods?

tyrionstark

Imo, the "old gods" (as referenced by countless northerners and a few southrons) are the COTF greenseers, or at least what remains of them within the weirwoods. I don't actually believe these are the gods of the COTF, I think their gods are the spirits of the earth itself. In "the true tongue" they are, "the singers who sing the song of the earth", like they are an actual personification of those spirits made manifest. Imagine if you will Westeros a million years ago. What if the spirit of earth created the COTF & for the longest time everybody lived a happy care-free existence, then some of the COTF learned how to access the knowledge of the weirwoods and that completely fucked shit up as no mortal being should have that much power or knowledge? It would be a sort of "garden of eden" type situation What I find interesting too, is the fact that the FM brought gods with them to Westeros but were persuaded to take up worship of the "old gods" by the COTF. What were the gods of the FM before they came to Westeros? Imo, you're talking about the gods of the Rhoyne, which is where I think humans on Planetos originated from. I feel like humans have this connection with water that I can't quite verbalise, it's frustrating :)

i personally think its pretty clear that the old gods are the greenseers/ weirwoods, there is a comment somewhere in the books about how the old gods have no power down south because all the weirwoods have gone.

I also think we have yet to learn about the extent of their power, for example where did the stark direwolves come from? surely the old gods/ greenseers sent them to protect the stark children, maybe it was even bran in the future (if that's not going a bit "sci-fi-ey")

Archived