So who would you bend the knee to?

sam90

I'd choose Tywin Lannister if he were among those available to choose. Even his physical appearance is always described as one proper for a king. I think it was Martin's intention to create him as a character that would fit king's role perfectly but for various reasons never became it. His yet another virtue is that he takes whatever measure necessary to do what he must, without hesitation, and not falling into unnecessary cruelty, as did Joffrey at the same time.

11 hours ago, NicholasB said:

I'd choose Tywin Lannister if he were among those available to choose. Even his physical appearance is always described as one proper for a king. I think it was Martin's intention to create him as a character that would fit king's role perfectly but for various reasons never became it. His yet another virtue is that he takes whatever measure necessary to do what he must, without hesitation, and not falling into unnecessary cruelty, as did Joffrey at the same time.

I think he is cruel enough. Just think about his childhood,adulthood,The Sack or RW.

Its a nice point with Martin creating him in this manner,it suits perfectly. I think its a pity we didnt know him better before ASoS because I truly understanded himafter I read about hus earlier days in The World of IaF

For the topic: Joffrey(Lannisters) if I hadnt know of incest etc as a one of the smallfolk.

• 1 month later...

Could never pledge to Joffrey. Balon is icky and ew and so are the Iron Islanders in general. Depending on where I lived it would be Robb or Stannis. I know these two are in bad shape at the start of ASOS but they're really the only kings in Westeros with good intentions and are respectable people in their ow rights. Daenerys is just not as smart and is not as good a person as she thinks she is, and not as as experienced as the other kings, as much as I do like her and believe she wants good in the world.  Mance...no right to anything and life as a wildling does not appeal to me. BwB is far too dangerous. Sorry, but I like living :P  So Robb or Stannis, I'd root for. But if I lived in other places I guess I'd have to pretend I was loyal to the rulers there. Heart would be Robb/Stannis though.

• 1 month later...
On ٢٦ مارس، ٢٠١٦ at 2:11 PM, Arya, Queen of the North said:

Could never pledge to Joffrey. Balon is icky and ew and so are the Iron Islanders in general. Depending on where I lived it would be Robb or Stannis. I know these two are in bad shape at the start of ASOS but they're really the only kings in Westeros with good intentions and are respectable people in their ow rights. Daenerys is just not as smart and is not as good a person as she thinks she is, and not as as experienced as the other kings, as much as I do like her and believe she wants good in the world.  Mance...no right to anything and life as a wildling does not appeal to me. BwB is far too dangerous. Sorry, but I like living :P  So Robb or Stannis, I'd root for. But if I lived in other places I guess I'd have to pretend I was loyal to the rulers there. Heart would be Robb/Stannis though.

I agree with the Stannis or Robb choice.. But in my opinion Robb is not experienced as well, just like Dany. More over its all about your location, and I don't even believe in the RIGHTFUL king thingy.. None of them is, even Dany; when you think about it Westeros was seven kingdoms before the Targaryens, that would make Robb and Baelon also rightful kings. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

In an ideal world Ned would have taken the throne. He seems to be one of the only noble candidates within the whole of Westeros. Jon is the closest to him so with Ned not having taken the throne i would say Jon!

I would bend the knee to Stannis if I had to choose between those seven. By "law" Stannis is supposed to inherit the Iron Throne, he is Robert's successor. Stannis doesn't harbor any of the madness that Dany does. Robb is a great war leader and warrior but he's not politically cunning and is clueless when it comes to playing the game of thrones (in that he is very similar to Ned).

Balon Greyjoy is too ethnocentric and close minded to rule all of Westeros. If he conquered all of Westeros he would establish the Old Way everywhere he possibly could. Yes I agree he's a fantastic naval strategist and commander, but he's too narrow minded and he has almost no diplomacy.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd probably go with whoever was closest, out of fear that if I'm not under the rule of whoever dictates the area, it'll be easier for them to catch and hang me for being an enemy (by not bending knee). I.e. Stark bannermen in Casterly Rock.

But assuming I could just choose, I'd rank my top 3 choices as:

1. Dany, because dragons all the way

2. Mance Rayder, Wildlings are awesome

3. Robb Stark, a little bit out of pity for all of his family issues but also because politics I guess

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A Storm of Swords has done nothing to change my great fondness for Danaerys Stormborn. And if I were a humble hedge knight, well, what would I have to lose in crossing the sea and chasing the rumors until I could join her force? She has more right and at least as much ability to rule as any of them. The wars between the kings are a death trap anyway; surely a quest east wouldn't be any more dangerous than staying put.

If crossing the sea isn't an option, I was sympathetic to the Starks' cause. The North makes sense as a separate kingdom and the family seemed to have proven character and ability. Once staying with the Starks seemed no longer feasible, the Brotherhood Without Banners would be tempting. They may follow a creepy new god, but they fight for freedom and peace and they seem to get results.

It appears more and more that the Lannisters would be capable rulers of the kingdom. But the main disadvantage of Joffrey is that he is Joffrey.

Stannis certainly had the birthright, but after his split with Renley would seem to have no chance. The only power he would seem to have left would be his sorcery, and so far that has not gained him any lasting victories. Following the Iron King would be a good idea if I believed that I could grab some plunder and make my escape. 

• 10 months later...

Since I consider North independent I would bow down to Bran Stark of Winterfell if I live in North, or any Stark sibling. When it comes to South, it is Stannis Baratheon for now, I am curious about his fate and if he will focus on invading Targaryens like Young Griff/Daenerys or the war against Children in the future books. 

• 2 months later...

Deanerys Targaryen.  I think this is the most logical answer without a specific location.  Stannis is the rightful heir according to Westerosi succession, but without being able to prove that Joff and Tommen are not Robert's sons this could be a dangerous choice as the Lannisters control the throne.  Dani, however, also has claim to the throne and she has three dragons. Hmmm. I think I would have fall in line behind her at this stage. I would probably identify with Barriston Selmy and his choices... 

Archived