Dany's Dragonriders

Mithras

As a boy, GRRM's favorite comics were teams of superheroes. When discussing the future of the Starks I've used that to suggest that the Wolflings will work together.

But reading this makes me think that 2 teams of superheroes are coalescing and they may or may not be allies.

And Jon Snow could be on either one.

And Drogon eats a girl and is ridden by Dany?

The OP is fascinating. I think that the kind of parallel storytelling he describes is echoed all over the text. But Victarion? Maybe.

But what if the bull was Gendry, great, great grandson of Aegon the Unlikely. He's a long way from the dragons. But most of the qualities attributed to Vic in the OP are shared by Gendry. He's much more of a green boy than Vic. He's nearly as gullible. And his rigid style of thinking would clash with Tyrion's moral flexibility.

I'm not committing to anything. GRRM plants a lot more red herrings than useful clues.

Gendry isn't headed towards Dany while Victarion is with a dragonhorn. Victarion has been compared to a bull in more books than Gendry. Also, I think it's unfair to Gendry to compare him to Victarion, Gendry is more discilpined and a smith while Victarion feels the gods put him on earth to be a warrior. Gendry is also less likely to be fooled by flattery like Victarion is.

Although, Gendry riding Rhaegal is still possible.

What I was wondering. The Targaryen kids used to get a dragon egg to create a special bond with that dragon. Daenerys got 3 dragon eggs: will she in the future still have that special bond with Viserion and Rhaegal. What if Victarion or Tyrion or another dragonrider would turn against her, what would the dragons do? Would they also turn against her once they are bonded with someone else?

By the way is it confirmed that all the previous dragons have died or is it possible that there are still some dragons living in Valyria and could show up when Victarion or someone else blows the horn?

Missing from the OP is any defense of how Tyrion could be Targ. If Vic is a dragonrider then you're working in a world where dragonblood isn't necessary. But for those of us who are more sold on T than Vic I offer a couple of thoughts.

Mad K was hot for Tyrion's moms.

Tywin slept with Shae to get even with Aerys' ghost.

Tyrion always thought dad resented him for being a dwarf.

Tywin won't let Tyrion rule Casterly Rock.

As a boy Tyrion dreamed of riding a dragon. The skulls in the crypt were beautiful.

Dany thinks that dragons like her don't get sick. Tyrion was exposed to both dysentery and greyscale without being touched. Yea, I know about the great spring sickness but if there's no living dragons then it's hard to say who's a dragonrider.

Tyrion is sharp like Jon and Dany. And like them he has a basic sense of compassion.

True, but that is what we know for now. Dragonseed the way I see it is Valyrianseed which is only logical.

Yes, I just think they may be turn out to be wrong about that being necessary. After all, how did the first Valyrian dragonriders manage to bond with their dragons when Valyria was "a minor civilization of peaceful sheep-herding folk", as the wiki says?

Yes, I just think they may be turn out to be wrong about that being necessary. After all, how did the first Valyrian dragonriders manage to bond with their dragons when Valyria was "a minor civilization of peaceful sheep-herding folk", as the wiki says?

My guess is blood magic which bonded Valyrian blood to the dragons.

Great thread! Possible dragonriders imo include

1. Daenerys (obviously),
  2. Jon if R+L=J,
  3. Tyrion, if A+J=T
  4. real Aegon,
  5. and Stannis (unlikely)

Victarion would be badass but he has absolutely no Targaryen blood and i think he has no chance at all. I assume that even Drogo would not be eligible for a dragonrider. I am pretty sure that the dragon has 3 heads and 3 heads only, so only 3 targaryens are left, so at least one of those above will not really have Targaryen blood (not counting Stannis).

Had a thought, I haven't searched for if it's come up before but: Dany needs someone to rule Meereen. If Tyrion become a dragonrider, he seems the likely choice, freeing her to go to Westeros AND keep control of Meereen, if he can prove himself to her.

Reaching hard. Vic just isn't going to be as important as most people think, he's like to get himself killed, and Tyrion?

Tyrion has committed patricide and alleged regicide, admittedly removing her greatest obstruction, but I just don't see Dany putting complete trust and confidence in a person like that without knowing the full story, and even then I don't really see Tyrion telling it. I think she'll use him and appreciate his knowledge and advice, but come on, the dude killed his family and allegedly murdered the last king. Hell, he'll probably even take credit for killing Joff.

I think Aurane waters should be included as a potential dragonrider aswel. various reasons

- Valyrian blood

- looks like Aegon

- looks handsome, scores with Dany

- Is a Velaryon, velaryons have ridden dragons before

- Is a bastard Velaryon, bastard velaryons have ridden dragons before

- Plenty of intermarriage with targaryans

- And vice versa, targaryans having velaryon blood, as the mother of Aegon and his sisters was a Velaryon.

- Has ten well sized warships at the stepstones, has reason to join Dany, Dany has reason to accept him. velaryons have been Admirals for targaryans before.

Just not sure what dragon he should take. has anyone thought as color to be an indication, i'm sure someone has considered that. Drogon looks black and red, which are the colors of the Targaryan sigil. in the dance of dragons the color of dragons don't seem to play of any importance in relation to the sigil of the family though anyway. However if you consider tyrion as a dragonrider then Viserion looks more like his dragon with the all that gold in his discription. Also: "Viserion has a roar that would send a hundred lions running".

Great OP

Targaryen blood is not indispensable to bond with a dragon.

Targaryens thought that it was, or led everyone to believe so (dragon monopoly seems like a great asset).

Nettles doesn´t seem to be a dragonseed. . Still she managed to ride Sheepstealer. She did so with a different approach. Feeding sheep to dragons seemed to build a bond. It´s kind of a long term strategy, whereas targaryen blood can create an instant bond if you will.

My guess is that dragonbinder can help Victarion create an instant bond without targaryen blood. While Tyrion will need a long term approach, nursing Viserion back to health.

Archived