Does anyone else agree that Robb was a bad King?

ADDB98

I'd have a hard time saying he was a bad king, he was a naive kid who really only made one mistake. We also only really saw the soldier side of Robb, never him really ruling over his people.

There are a few moments early in AGOT, especially in the first chapter, where we see Robb and Jon together, and Jon keeps demonstrating that he has greater insight than Robb.

Robb was an excellent tactician -- though his battlefield successes happen entirely off-stage -- but doesn't have much of a head for political strategy. I think his greatest political mistake was claiming the title of King in the North, which raised the stakes considerably. Had he not done that, he could have hoped to ally with Stannis, isolate and defeat the Lannisters, and march home to rule the North with the more modest title that was good enough for his father.

I have to agree completely. What does it show the other regions that someone can just declare themselves a king and withdraw their kingdom from the realm which is what the north wanted. We r the north leave us alone allow us to rule ourselves blah blah blah. But if I was a lord in the vale or in the west and this young punk just started to declare himself king of the north, y would I try and help him out. Why does he get to be king but not i? If he doesn't declare king of the north then he looks like a young lord out for revenge for a death of his father that many originally took to heart. I think more of the regions would of been compelled to help him and he could of forged an alliance with stannis and/or renly. Big mistake there. Also leaving the twins without being married was another mistake. I would of been like wedding today, party tonight, then off back to war tommorrow.

What does it show the other regions that someone can just declare themselves a king and withdraw their kingdom from the realm which is what the north wanted.

I got the impression that Robb was just used by the northmen in this instance. I think many northmen stood to gain if a rebellion succeeded (no more taxes to the south), they thought a boy king could be easily controlled, and that it would be easy enough to disown Robb should things start going belly-up (and quite a few did). Some even might have seen it unlikely for a rebellion to succeed, and took this as an opportunity to replace the Starks.

Rather than offered a privilege, Robb was handed a poisoned chalice. Some of his bannermen may have been sincere, but I think many cynically used him.

• 3 weeks later...

not this again

Robb was a brilliant commander in the field, especially for a young man, but he was a terrible player in the GoT, just like his father.

Yes and yes. This debate will never end. He was just a boy, no trained father to help him, and all his father's good and trusted men dead in KL.

Archived