Jaime's odds of becoming a great swordsman again.

ugashep

I have always thought Jaime might could get back to being a passable swordsman using his left hand but that he stood little chance if any of ever reaching the great swordsman status he held as the right handed pre-Vargo Hoat "Kingslayer". Recently however I was re-reading Clash of Kings and I was struck by the passage that states that Quorin Halfhand became a better swordsman with his left hand after he became the "Half Hand" than he ever was with his right. Maybe that is faint praise and the Halfhand was never that good with his right but it says that this became part of the Halfhand's "legend" so I hardly think much fuss would have been made over it if the Halfhand merely went from being a halfass swordsman with his right to a slightly better swordsman with his left. In any event the passage struck me as precedent and possibly foreshadowing of a similar transformation for Jaime. What do you all think? Will Jaime show Kingslayer type skill again (assuming LS does not kill him out of the gate in the WOW of course)?

I think it is possible that he becomes almost as good as he once was, he needs time though. Mostly to pack on some muscle again because it is also stated that he became alot thinner after being held captive for over a year. As for the rest, I would think that the natural reflexes and instincts of swordsmanship are pretty much inherit to his nature by now, and he also just needs time to get used to using his left hand. People can also learn to write or do all sorts of other things with their other hand just as well as they ever could with their other hand, why should swordfighting be any different?

He can. When he gets "used" to his left hand, he can be almost as good he was with his right.

With enough time for practice, he can remain as one of the best swordsmen in Westeros. We've seen Qhorin as well.

Jamie was naturally a great swordsman. Practice only pushed him to greatness. I think he may end up superior but not on the level he once was. Then again it could be a ruse, he could spend two books practicing only to get into a fight and get his butt kicked in mere seconds. I would chuckle at the absurdity of that.

I'm of the belief he gets a new right hand. Maybe his gold one is re-animated through sorcery, even. I think it's within the realms of possibility with all the magic flying around these days.

I think that is entirely possible but its also possible that Jaime becomes something else. A good leader! I absolutely loved how he handled the kingsguard when he became lord commander. That is really when his character picked up for me. He has honorable intentions with just about every action he does now. I loved the way he checked Loras and its been very entertaining watching him handle things in the riverlands.

However if he were to become a kingsguard knight for another king I would definitely want him to rediscover his old fighting skills.

Archived