Basilisk - might be similar to a very large Gila Monster

Hi All,

My first post after lurking for a few years.

I know other people have proposed either the Gila Monster or some form of Sothoryos Monitor lizard as a candidate for what a Basilisk is. I have no idea for the coloration, but without anything other than vague descriptions by G.R.R.M., what I imagine is a large, heavy bodied lizard, no larger than a medium Alligator - say eight to ten feet long, maybe somewhat less. Maybe something like a cross between a Gila Monster and a Savannah Monitor made much larger. Recent research indicates that some Monitor lizards are slightly venomous in a true sense - possessing venom from glands in the jaws as opposed to the virulent bacteria in the mouth from a diet of rotting meat, like the Komodo Dragon.

Venomous, in a strict sense means that an animal produces a separate substance and possesses a means of actively introducing it into either prey or attackers; venom is produced by glands attached to stingers, spines or fangs. Snakes, some lizards, stingrays, various spiders, scorpions and insects fall into this category.

Poisonous is taken to mean an animal has a passive means of introducing a substance into usually, attackers. The animal in question may have the toxin throughout its body, and can me harmful if eaten or even touched. For example, poison dart frogs can kill you if you hold them in your hands, the poison being absorbed through the skin. The frogs obtain their poison by storing the chemicals from the insects they eat, which have eaten plants that are toxic. Frogs, toads, some fish and plants come to mind as examples.

So, what are we to make of the Basilisk? Is it venomous or poisonous? If it is only the blood which produces madness in warm blooded animals ( odd - sounds like Rabies, a viral disease that only afflicts Mammals ), then it is poisonous. However, several specific references to Basilisk Venom indicate that they are venomous. Maybe both?

I can't seem to be able to figure out how to attach an image to this post, so here -

http://www.connecticutvalleybiological.com/gila-monster-skull-heloderma-suspectum-p-13902.html%C2'>

is a link to what a Gila Monster skull looks like. Unlike a snake, the fangs in the lower jaw are the ones that deliver the venom, and it isn't a fast strike either - Gila Monsters bite, lock their jaws and chew. Look at those fangs. I work security for a local Reptile Show on occasion and have seen Gilas. A good sized lizard, but still rarely even two feet long total - somewhat slow, but can be very aggressive. Venomous/poisonous animals are often very brightly colored or boldly patterned to advertize the fact that they are dangerous or don't taste good.

Thoughts?

Archived