Melisandre true appearance

Tolquius

So, Mancer Ryder used a ruby around his wrist, and he looks like Rattleshirt.

And in Melisandre POV, we can inquire some facts about her. She is probably the slave girl called Melony, of lot 77. She remembers the "big red temple", which is probably the Volantene temple, which is (supposedly) the biggest. We also know that every slave in the service of the Volantene red temple receives a tattoo, yet Melisandre shows none.

I was thinking that the ruby around her throat conceals her true appearance. Somehow, this seems important.

• 4 months later...

Considering the fact that Melisandre most likely is rather old, I'd say she's using a glamour on herself.

Yes, I believe Mel wears a glamor and has also received the "Kiss of Fire" like Beric Donderrion, Lady Stoneheart, etc. I also believe she is quite a bit older than she appears.

The Kiss of Fire is for those who have died. We learn from Beric and UnCat that the personalities change significantly, the longer you have been dead or the more times you've been dead. Beric also mentions memory loss, pieces that are completely gone, IIRC. Melisandre, in her own POV, seems to be thinking clearly, and not having any of such problems. So a Kiss of Fire seems rather unlikely to me.

Considering the fact that Melisandre most likely is rather old, I'd say she's using a glamour on herself.

The Kiss of Fire is for those who have died. We learn from Beric and UnCat that the personalities change significantly, the longer you have been dead or the more times you've been dead. Beric also mentions memory loss, pieces that are completely gone, IIRC. Melisandre, in her own POV, seems to be thinking clearly, and not having any of such problems. So a Kiss of Fire seems rather unlikely to me.

I respectfully disagree. Since Mel doesn't seem to feel the cold (indeed, actually gives off warmth), doesn't hardly sleep, eats only to keep up appearances, etc. I do believe she has received the Kiss of Fire. And, yes, that means I believe she did die long ago and was resurrected. Also, I see no indication that Lady Stoneheart isn't thinking clearly. She's undoubtedly hell bent on revenge on a great many people but it doesn't seem to me that she's not thinking clearly. Donderrion, yes, he began to lose memory, etc. but he was killed and brought back...what? seven times?

So, it's just my speculation until Martin gives me some more info but I think Mel's been resurrected via sorcery (i.e. what the worshippers of Rh'llor call "The Kiss o' Fire"). I think it explains a great deal about her. I also think she wears a glamor and I always have because she looks just like someone that worships Rh'llor would look if they could choose how to look.

Furthermore, I believe resurrection via sorcery also explains a few other characters. Moqorro, another priest of Rh'llor (survived many days floating in the ocean like it was nothing) and I believe that's what Coldhands is, too - someone resurrected via sorcery. There are probably others running around Essos/Westeros as well ;)

The glamour theory: Alright I'll bite, either she's old or was somehow disfigured during her life as a slave, but i don't think she's been resurrected by the Kiss of Fire because her memory doesn't seem to suffer in any way. Might be something else entirely, I mean...she IS a red priestess. I wouldn't rule out the KOF theory completely either though. IMO I think we can safely say that it isn't her True appearance though. Although, Thoros drank quite a lot, I don't remember having read that he actually ATE much. HE just liked being drunk. And Moqorro survived for who knows how long without any sustenance in baking heat and looked to not have suffered much for it. Myabe it has something to do with whatever vows or rituals they go through to become red priests, as to better serve or something along those lines.

Archived