Dragons covered the World?

I've always wondered about the Ice Dragon.... You see, GRRM has this children's book called like that, and though i haven't read it (going to, though) i know that there is this little girl with blue eyes and her friend is an Ice dragon, and at the end, the dragon leaves behind a cold water pool with no bottom. Now, i have read in several articles about it that they are hints the Ice Dragon ocurrs in the World of Ice and fire, just a really really long time ago.... And also, there is this pool in Winterfell in front of the Heart Tree that I used to think was hot water, but in one of the first two books of ASOIAF Osha swims in the pool and Bran asks sonething about the pool having bottom, and Osha answers something like "might be it hasnt" and she said that she was used to cold water.... So, idk what if there Is an Ice dragon who somehow controls the Others? I mean GRRM said once were dragons all over the place, but he never specified which kind of dragobs exactly, did he?, I mean there was a Sea dragon. What if there was some sort of war or fight between them that eventually killed the fire dragons and left the ice ones alive but very weak so he created the Others to get him whatever he (them) needed to become strong again? Idk, im just guessing, its just that the fact that there is a constelation called like that makes me think of that children's book GRRM wrote.

• 1 month later...

Dragons covered the entire world once. But these were wild dragons. I strongly suspect that the purpose of the Long Night was linked to the eradication of dragons from the world. And it succeeded in doing that with 99% of all dragons on earth. Only in the volcanos of Valyria did wild dragons manage to ride out the cold of the Long Night by hibernating in the lavapits.

These Valyrian dragons were only discovered by the simple sheperd folk of the Valyrian peninsula thousands of years later, which led to the birth of the Valyrian Freehold, based on its monopoly on dragon ownership.

Dragons would have lived in Westeros before the Long Night. And it seems very little of human history before the Long Night is still recalled today. As for the Children of the Forest not mentioning dragons - well, maybe there is a larger story they are deliberately not telling, with regard to dragons and their connection to the Long Night, that the Children may have been intricately involved in.

My pet theory:

12000 years ago - The Children bring down the Hammer of the Waters comet to stop the First Men migration into Westeros. The comet contains dragon eggs and thus dragons are unleashed into the world.

12000-8000 years ago - Dragons proliferate to the point of becoming the dominant species on the planet, endangering all other life in the world.

8000 years ago - The Children are forced to use their magic to bring about the Long Night, as the only way to try and correct the imbalance in the natural cycle of life that dragons have brought about. It succeeds, but causes the imbalance in the seasons as a side effect.

Now 8000 years later the chance has arrived to finally restore the balance, with the union of Ice and Fire.

Anyway, that's how I see it all fitting together somehow.

That totally makes sense. I feel like the different faiths,legends & prophecies are all coming together. Just read/ watched the part where Doreah tells Dany about the dragons hatching from the 2nd moon. I also noted a scene after Neds arrest in the show thats from the books & the words sound like a hint. Sansa is brought before Cersei & the small council. Maester Pycelle says something like 'oh shes a sweet thing now but in 10 years who knows what treasons she will 'hatch'. given that GRRM has stated that originally he intended there to be a 5 year history jump I found that an interesting choice of words. Surely there has to be more to Sansa than we have had so far? I would like to see a meramorphosis for her character.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived