Tyrion is Tywin's son - confirmed by GRRM

Inquisitor Glokta

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/1202

5. Since all of their mothers died, who gave Jon Snow, Daenerys Targaryen and Tyrion Lannister their names?

Mothers can name a child before birth, or during, or after, even while they are dying. Dany was most like named by her mother, Tyrion by his father, Jon by Ned.

Look at how exact his language is. He says that Jon was named by Ned not his father.

So unless you want to believe Aerys Targaryen rode to Casterly Rock to name his bastard son, stop making threads about this ridiculous theory, that Tyrion is Aerys' son.

I hate the Tyrion is a Targ theory myself, but if you wanted to be diehard about it, you can argue that father in this context might not been biological father (the obvious counter-argument then being the Jon/Ned thing). Or failing that, Death of the Author: later books could contradict the information here.

Whilst I agree with the view in the original post, it must be said that GRRM's words here are one of the most delightfully ambiguous I can ever remember coming across, that can be used to confirm or justify just about anything...and that is before you get to the most like. He has left himself all the wiggle room he needs.

Not that I believe Tyrion is not Tywin's (though I do lend the theory more credibility than most). It's just that the SSM proves nothing. Of course Martin is careful with his words, but it's not as if is reviewing every little thing he says.

Tyrion is Tywin's son until we hear otherwise. There's no need for "confirmation" and this SSM makes alternative possibilities not weaker nor stronger.

Given Tywin's Extreme Lannister Pride and his distaste toward Tyrion (between him being deformed and having "killed" Joanna), I am a little surprised he named Tyrion after a former king of the Rock. Come to think of it, I'm a little surprised that he kept Tyrion around at all.

I think I could explain that.

We know Tywin loved Joanna dearly. Joanna dies giving birth to Tyrion. Tywin hates Tyrion because bringing him into the world killed the woman he loved. Yet if he threw Tyrion out, or outright killed him, Joanna's death was for nothing, nothing at all. Tyrion may serve as a living reminder of Joanna,

Archived