Tyrion is Tywin's son - confirmed by GRRM

Inquisitor Glokta

I think I could explain that.

We know Tywin loved Joanna dearly. Joanna dies giving birth to Tyrion. Tywin hates Tyrion because bringing him into the world killed the woman he loved. Yet if he threw Tyrion out, or outright killed him, Joanna's death was for nothing, nothing at all. Tyrion may serve as a living reminder of Joanna,

That is a pretty good explanation. I find it really hard to identify with Tywin, but I keep wondering what sort of man he would have been, and how different his relationship with Tyrion would have been, if Joanna had lived. I really hope Tyrion's not a secret Targ. The relationship between Tywin and his kids is, in my opinion, one of the aspects of the story that elevates it so far beyond "just" fantasy.

Martin also said Dany was the last Targaryen multiple times. I would just kind of temper his interview statements a little bit.

Yeah. I have the impression Martin answers stuff thinking about the 'common knowledge' available at the time, be it for readers or characters. So without guessing, Dany is the last Targ (though we know about Jon!).

So even if 'Tyrion is a Targ' is still a theory lacking serious evidence, this SSM doesn't kill it.

Archived