Watch the New Game of Thrones Trailer

Westeros

but you cannot expect them to cut whole sub-plotlines like the Ironborn or Dorne or Asha

Asha's story already looks set to be heavily reconfigured.

But things like the Kingsmoot, Myrcella's crowning, the Golden Company or the Siege of Riverrun are just of too much importance to be cut. So, as we assume these events are included, there will be a lot of new characters and we need to get to know them. For instance, we have to see Victarion killing Ser Talbert Serry, we have to see Arianne seducing Arys (as if they wouldn't include that anyways :D ), we have to see Aegon playing Cyvasse with Tyrion and we have to see several Freys sieging Riverrun.

The Kingsmoot can easily be cut, or substantially downgraded, without causing problems. The whole Shield Islands thing is never going to make the show; it would be a huge mid-season setpiece involving some new characters attacking a bunch of nobodies. The Siege of Riverrun will definitely be there; they'll most likely consolidate all of Jaime's Riverlands wanderings into that one setting.

Asha's story already looks set to be heavily reconfigured.

Heavily? Her replacing Victarion's role doesn't seem to be a huge change. They just switched Asha's and Victarion's geographical position.

The Kingsmoot can easily be cut, or substantially downgraded, without causing problems. The whole Shield Islands thing is never going to make the show; it would be a huge mid-season setpiece involving some new characters attacking a bunch of nobodies. The Siege of Riverrun will definitely be there; they'll most likely consolidate all of Jaime's Riverlands wanderings into that one setting.

How else would they introduce Victarion, Euron and (possibly) Aeron? It's a given event that includes 2(3) important characters.

Some new characters? It's only Victarion and maybe a second in command attacking 10 extras and one knight.

Heavily? Her replacing Victarion's role doesn't seem to be a huge change. They just switched Asha's and Victarion's geographical position.

No, Asha's going to the Dreadfort.

How else would they introduce Victarion, Euron and (possibly) Aeron? It's a given event that includes 2(3) important characters.

Some new characters? It's only Victarion and maybe a second in command attacking 10 extras and one knight.

Euron took control after Balon died. Victarion is bitter, and says as much. He's then sent on his mission.

It's a sea battle.

The show already has one ship that they use for pretty much every scene involving a ship, so using that, some CGI for a background battle, and twenty or so extras, and Vic and Serry, it's not that hard to make the battle. It's pretty integral to show what a skilled brute Vic is, since we can't really get his inside thoughts. Plus I'm pretty sure most viewers would rather see an epic action scene (that isn't too large in scale, in a season that will be lacking in action) than a long (sex)expositional scene. Ever since I read the taking of the Shield Isles two years ago I've really wanted to see it on screen, and I'm not even much of a Vic fan.

I doubt the show will depict Victarion's attack on Shield Islands. Season 5 will be stuffed tight with a whole bunch of new storylines, and even more importantly where production and budget issues are concerned, with new sets and locations -- Braavos, Tyrion's journey, Winterfell again, Dorne... They are certainly not going to stretch the budget and available screentime even thinner by showing side stuff like Victarion's merry little battles on the way to his true destination.

Euron took control after Balon died. Victarion is bitter, and says as much. He's then sent on his mission.

It's a sea battle.

Asha is going to the Dreadfort, is rejected, goes to Moat Cailin, hears of Balon's death and leaves them with Ralf Kenning as commander. Just like Victarion did besides the Dreadfort-stuff.

The show already has one ship that they use for pretty much every scene involving a ship, so using that, some CGI for a background battle, and twenty or so extras, and Vic and Serry, it's not that hard to make the battle. It's pretty integral to show what a skilled brute Vic is, since we can't really get his inside thoughts. Plus I'm pretty sure most viewers would rather see an epic action scene (that isn't too large in scale, in a season that will be lacking in action) than a long (sex)expositional scene. Ever since I read the taking of the Shield Isles two years ago I've really wanted to see it on screen, and I'm not even much of a Vic fan.

100% signed

I doubt the show will depict Victarion's attack on Shield Islands. Season 5 will be stuffed tight with a whole bunch of new storylines, and even more importantly where production and budget issues are concerned, with new sets and locations -- Braavos, Tyrion's journey, Winterfell again, Dorne... They are certainly not going to stretch the budget and available screentime even thinner by showing side stuff like Victarion's merry little battles on the way to his true destination.

They won't need budget for any big battles because there are none (besides the pit fight). And they get more budget each season because their viewership is growing as well.

:agree: I think they will show Victarion fighting Serry, as you said, it is a perfect action sequence for TV it won't be that expensive, the Ironborn attacking the Reach is an important part in AFFC, it is always better to show it than just have Margaery talking about it, and we don't know yet how important Vic's magic arm may be in TWOW.

We have no idea what Asha will be doing this season, she "said" she's going to the Dreadfort, but it won't be the first time (in either book or show) when a character change his/her mind, or just "speak aloud" false information.

We'll have to wait and see, so far we only have rumors, and speculations, those who desperately want to see her captured by Stannis this season, will twist everything to have it that way, same for those who want her on the KM. I have no idea where the idea of merging all the Greyjoys came from, but people have being saying characters will be merged and storylines cut since before season 1 aired...

Considering all the speculation of them cutting/merging the Greyjoys, I will be a happy man as long as we get Euron and Victarion. Although I would prefer if Aeron is in the show in some capacity, I wouldn't lose any sleep if he got cut. Cutting Aeron shouldn't cause too many issues unless he ends up having a very pivotal role in TWOW. Victarion and especially Euron seem like they are way too important to cut IMO.

We have no idea what Asha will be doing this season, she "said" she's going to the Dreadfort, but it won't be the first time (in either book or show) when a character change his/her mind, or just "speak aloud" false information.

There's no way they had Yara give that big speech at the end of the season just to turn around and go back home, which was what so many people were saying would happen. And we've already seen from the promos her traveling upriver.

There's no way they had Yara give that big speech at the end of the season just to turn around and go back home, which was what so many people were saying would happen. And we've already seen from the promos her traveling upriver.

I never said she will "just turn around" but I don't think she will get to the Dreadfort either, anyways, there are currently 2 threads about that topic in the general GOT section

They won't need budget for any big battles because there are none (besides the pit fight). And they get more budget each season because their viewership is growing as well.

The Battle of Meereen will almost certainly be taking place in season 5: what with the amount of ADWD material Daenerys is already getting into with season 4, it's too big of a chance not to take.

The Battle of Meereen will almost certainly be taking place in season 5: what with the amount of ADWD material Daenerys is already getting into with season 4, it's too big of a chance not to take.

There are only like 2 szenes from ADWD (Hazzea's father and Hizdar zo Loraq) and There actually quite a lot stuff happening in Meereen.

I like the idea of showing both battles in same episode, battle of ice would be great to show in the beginning and then for the reminder of the episode the battle of Meeren, and leave the result of battle of ice till s6e01,with the Karlstarks and Manderleys with some Freys come to WF, and at night do Trojan Horse style. But in s5e10, make unsullied think Stannis lost, and Jon getting Julio Cesar-ed. But they cant make the battle of Meeren till s6, as that will make her in Meeren for like almost 2 seasons, cause some of Dany's ADWD material is already going to be in s4, so s5e9 will be the battle of Meeren hopefully with some of battle of ice (would love more battle of ice, want to see some Freys break through the frozen lake, and some fighting in the snow would be awesome). But find that they cant always do this episode 9 formula, and need to vary it a bit, whats wrong with having a battle mid-season?so D&D should not make it kinda pedictable as itsepisode 9 something big is going happen

Assuming the battle of Meereen won't take place in season 5, there are barely any battles at all. From what I can remember from AFfC and ADwD, the only battles are Vic taking the Shield Isles, Quentyn fighting at Astapor (done in flashback though), the battle near Deepwood Motte and JonCon and the Golden Company taking Griffin's Roost. #2, #3 and #4 I highly doubt will be included at all, so I hope (and believe) that the taking of the Shield Isles will be included in some capacity. It's a fairly straight-forward and small scale battle, but is nonetheless exciting and develops Vic's character. Without that battle there will pretty much be no battles in season 5, save smaller fights like Brienne at the inn and Arys' suicide charge. I certainly don't think battles make a show better, but a lot of non book readers might get a bit bored otherwise.

Assuming the battle of Meereen won't take place in season 5, there are barely any battles at all. From what I can remember from AFfC and ADwD, the only battles are Vic taking the Shield Isles, Quentyn fighting at Astapor (done in flashback though), the battle near Deepwood Motte and JonCon and the Golden Company taking Griffin's Roost. #2, #3 and #4 I highly doubt will be included at all, so I hope (and believe) that the taking of the Shield Isles will be included in some capacity. It's a fairly straight-forward and small scale battle, but is nonetheless exciting and develops Vic's character. Without that battle there will pretty much be no battles in season 5, save smaller fights like Brienne at the inn and Arys' suicide charge. I certainly don't think battles make a show better, but a lot of non book readers might get a bit bored otherwise.

Season 3 had like no action scenes as well and was still far better than average TV. More action scenes: Quentyn losing a companion, Brienne killing Locke (assuming he won't get to the wall), Tyrion and JonCon defending Aegon from Stonemen, Tyrion and Jorah being captured by slavers after a storm, Barristan fighting Khrazz. There wouldn't be many major action scenes, but in the end there're quite a lot.

Season 3 had like no action scenes as well and was still far better than average TV. More action scenes: Quentyn losing a companion, Brienne killing Locke (assuming he won't get to the wall), Tyrion and JonCon defending Aegon from Stonemen, Tyrion and Jorah being captured by slavers after a storm, Barristan fighting Khrazz. There wouldn't be many major action scenes, but in the end there're quite a lot.

Yeah, except for Jaime & Brienne's duel, the horse chase with Theon, the sacking of Astapor, the mutiny of the Night's Watch, the duel between Beric & The Hound, Jon and the wildlings climbing the Wall, Jaime & Brienne in the bear pit, Sam facing a White Walker, Queenscrown, and the assault on Yunkai... No major battle scenes (unless you want to count the Red Wedding and its aftermath), but quite a bit of 'action'.

every season doesn't need a major battle. Season 6 will more than make up for it with two major battles meereen and winterfel. of course that depends on how they split wow which most likely will be split similar to a storm of swords. though those two battles are going to be near the begging of the book so I see both happing in season 6.

Season 2 actually seems to have had the least action overall, and coincidently (or not) it's considered the worst season by many. Here's a list of action and fights scenes each season:

Season 1

- Sandor vs Gregor

- Catelyn and her group get ambushed by the mountain clans

- Eddard and his men vs Jaime and his men

- Robb and Theon kill the wildlings that attack Bran

- Bronn vs Ser Vardis

- Eddard's men are massacred

- Syrio vs the Lannister guards

- Khal Drogo vs Mago

- Jorah vs Qotho

Season 2

- Sandor vs his opponent

- Brienne vs Loras

- King's Landing riot

- Jon and the rangers ambush wildlings

- Battle of Blackwater

- Brienne vs Stark soldiers

- Jon vs Qhorin

Season 3

- Jaime vs Brienne

- Theon gets chased by Ramsay's men, and Ramsay kills them

- Jaime tries to fight Locke and his men

- The mutiny at Craster's

- The sacking of Astapor

- Beric vs Sandor

- The bear pit

- Sam kills a White Walker

- Queenscrown

- The battle of Yunkai

- The aftermath of the Red Wedding

- Arya and Sandor vs Frey soldiers

So while season 2 was the only time we got a big, large-scale battle, it was overall the least action-packed season so far, with season 1 coming in second and 3 first. I think season 4 will be equally as action-packed as season 3, maybe even more so with the battle at the Wall.

Archived