Watch the New Game of Thrones Trailer

Westeros

^It's nice to hear you like Aidan Gillen. I understand a lot of people find his accent iffy and his rasp sometimes grating, but he has great mannerisms. I love how he smirks and pauses before he makes a nasty remark, as if he's wondering whether he should say it or not but then does anyway. I didn't really like him in the Wire, but I do enjoy his Baelish.

I don't mind the accent changes, they all seem to go in and out of them. I think he's a really good actor, and has the character down really well. He's the perfect Littlefinger.

They write for him differently, but I can go with it, because of his portrayal, if that makes sense.

I hope when he gives his "players and pieces" speech that he references Cersei's "power is power" moment resentfully. I liked that moment and I think that in show canon they could call back to that and have that as a potential motivator for Littlefinger's latest betrayal. I know book LF wouldn't have made that jibe to Cersei, but, he did, and I doubt he would forgive her for threatening him.

Eh, I thought that just reflected the general opinion of the books: ACOK is generally considered weaker than AGOT and ASOS, so it makes sense that the season based on ACOK would be considered the worst of the three. ACOK spends a lot of time treading water with various plots or setting up big payoffs that don't come until ASOS. I don't think it's as simple as "action vs. no action"; a gruesome character death, big battle or fight scene won't be of any interest in of itself unless there's some wider significance, greater depth, or something substantial leading up to it.

It is? First time I hear that. I don't consider ACOK weaker than AGOT, actually I would say the other way round. And I certainly don't see how ACOK has less "action" than AGOT. There are some battles in AGOT, but only towards the end, and most of the book is about the political games, while in ACOK there's an all-out war going on and we get to actually see it, especially in the Riverlands. The Blackwater battle and Arya's storyline, which was riveting in the book (not so much in the show) were more exciting than any action scenes in the first book.

Now, season 1 was much better than season 2, but that wasn't because of the action scenes - season 1 didn't even have a big on-screen battle. Season 2 was bad because it strayed from the books in really bad ways, like their version of Dany's storyline or Jon's portrayal, or Robb/Talisa, or the way they watered down Arya's storyline.

I hope when he gives his "players and pieces" speech that he references Cersei's "power is power" moment resentfully. I liked that moment and I think that in show canon they could call back to that and have that as a potential motivator for Littlefinger's latest betrayal. I know book LF wouldn't have made that jibe to Cersei, but, he did, and I doubt he would forgive her for threatening him.

You're right, I think they'll mention that. Really, he should forgive her for not killing him! Because she totally could have. But I guess they wanted to visually set the two up as at odds.

Thanks, here's the link, and I'm sooooo sorry I read it.

http://www.wetpaint.com/game-of-thrones/articles/2014-02-08-season-4-spoilers-sansa-powerhouse

Sansa is going to become a manipulator. Sigh. Sigh. Sigh.

I don't read her interviews anymore. I can never make any sense out of them. With that, I'll vow to never read another one (and probably skip her scenes this season, looks like she's going to be Littlefinger, Jr.)

And here's Maisie (who I will most definitely watch):

http://www.wetpaint.com/game-of-thrones/articles/2014-02-08-season-4-spoilers-maisie-williams

Sansa already is subtly manipulative. She has had to learn to lie and hide her true emotions and play dumb, and use her "courtesy armor". She did that with the folks in KL and she does it with LF in the book, too. On the show, we've already seen her do that with Joffrey. And Sansa becoming a "powerhouse" through honing her political skills is exactly what many of her fans are expecting and hoping for. So what exactly is the problem?

It's not like Sophie said that Sansa would become an immoral cynic or start murdering people or using sex to get ahead, Cersei/LF style.

Sansa is going to become a manipulator. Sigh. Sigh. Sigh.

I don't read her interviews anymore. I can never make any sense out of them. With that, I'll vow to never read another one (and probably skip her scenes this season, looks like she's going to be Littlefinger, Jr.)

But...Sansa IS a manipulator in the books. "Courtesy is a lady's armor" and "lies and arbor gold" are like her mantras, and they all about manipulating people on a subtle way, that doesn't mean she will turn into a completely amoral person, or that she spontaneously will start doing over-the-top soliloquies/monologues like LF's "chaos is a ladder"

It is? First time I hear that.

Well, it couldn't possibly be the case, then, if it's the first you've heard of it. :D Seriously, though, I remember a lot of fretting from book fans before Season 2 aired about the show sustaining viewers' interest through the TV adaptation of ACOK because of their concerns about the relative merits of ACOK compared to AGOT...which seems kind of rich, now, given that we're faced with not one but two very saggy, bloated, dull books (AFFC and ADWD) that are far more unlikely to sustain viewers' interest than ACOK, but those were the worries at the time.

I don't consider ACOK weaker than AGOT, actually I would say the other way round.

You as an individual very well might, but my point was it was my impression that the general opinion is that AGOT is superior to ACOK, and that this was reflected in the reaction to the adaptations of Seasons 1 and 2, as opposed to anything to do with which season had more action.

And I certainly don't see how ACOK has more "action" than AGOT.

No one said that.

But...Sansa IS a manipulator in the books. "Courtesy is a lady's armor" and "lies and arbor gold" are like her mantras, and they all about manipulating people on a subtle way, that doesn't mean she will turn into a completely amoral person, or that she spontaneously will start doing over-the-top soliloquies/monologues like LF's "chaos is a ladder"

Where I live, I have never heard the term used with anything but negative connotations. I checked the British definition, that appears to be the same: "a person who controls people to their own advantage, often unfairly or dishonestly."

Littlefinger is often referred to as a master manipulator. I don't consider Sansa's courtesy armor to be "manipulation." I've never heard it referred to as such, but we can agree to disagree.

You should never take much stock in anything an actor says. She's probably seized on a slight development in her character (that is in line with the books, her becoming involved slightly more actively with the political maneuvering) and exaggerated it.

Yes, yes, yes. This is what I was saying. I didn't take her seriously at all (I was making fun of it).

Foreshadowing is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5iS3tULXMQ

Well, it couldn't possibly be the case, then, if it's the first you've heard of it. :D Seriously, though, I remember a lot of fretting from book fans before Season 2 aired about the show sustaining viewers' interest through the TV adaptation of ACOK because of their concerns about the relative merits of ACOK compared to AGOT...which seems kind of rich, now, given that we're faced with not one but two very saggy, bloated, dull books (AFFC and ADWD) that are far more unlikely to sustain viewers' interest than ACOK, but those were the worries at the time.

You as an individual very well might, but my point was it was my impression that the general opinion is that AGOT is superior to ACOK, and that this was reflected in the reaction to the adaptations of Seasons 1 and 2, as opposed to anything to do with which season had more action.

If I as an individual don't feel that way, then it can't be the general opinion, since that would mean that everyone thinks that? Or does it mean that 99.99% of people think that? 90%? Or what exactly is a "general opinion"? And where do you get those numbers? I'm pretty sure that everyone else has opinions as individuals, rather than as a collective with a hive mind...

And seriously speaking, "I've heard people say that" or "that's what all my friends/people at the forum I hang out at think" isn't really strong evidence to derive any beliefs about "general opinions". If you made a poll, I believe that you'd get a bunch of very different opinions on the quality of each of the books. As a matter of fact, I think there is such a thread on the forum, I'll try to find it

No one said that.

This was, of course, a typo. I meant to say that I don't think ACOK had less action than AGOT, quite the opposite. As I said, just Blackwater is bigger in action than all of AGOT put together, and Arya's arc in the book is riveting (not so much in the show). AGOT has lots of political games and barely any battles until nearly before the end, and one of those two battles happens entirely off-page. The TV show had even less action as the other big battle also happened off-screen. Season 1 was better than season 1 for different reasons.

Are they going to show the stannis! Stannis! STANNIS?! cuz I fail to see any significant cgi of mammoths, giants, attacked by a line of horsemen, or any hint of Stannis' army defeating Mance. no hint at al, except ships.

Why on Earth would they want to show that in the trailer and spoil a big episode 9 event for all the Unsullied?

They put shots of battles being fought, but without obvious clues that would be too spoilery. We see Stannis' men on horses attacking some people, who the Sullied can guess are the wildlings, but they sure aren't going to show them yelling "King Stannis!" while capturing Mance or something equally spoilerific.

Are they going to show the stannis! Stannis! STANNIS?! cuz I fail to see any significant cgi of mammoths, giants, attacked by a line of horsemen, or any hint of Stannis' army defeating Mance. no hint at al, except ships.

I don't know. Did they showed Ned's head being chopped, Tywin arriving at blackwater, or Robbwind for previous seasons? ^_^

I know. His beard is gone, too. :crying: :crying: :crying:

I assumed, seeing Jaime clean cut and with short hair meant he shaved / cut it all off after returning to King's Landing looking like a wretched beggar who hadn't eaten or bathed in a very long time - which is how he was described in the book. If I recall, didn't he want it all shaved and scrubbed off to rid himself of not only the filth and possible vermin but also to recreate himself after his new redemption transformation? Perhaps they decided to make him look so different to convey a more dramatic image of that in the show this season?

I assumed, seeing Jaime clean cut and with short hair meant he shaved / cut it all off after returning to King's Landing looking like a wretched beggar who hadn't eaten or bathed in a very long time - which is how he was described in the book. If I recall, didn't he want it all shaved and scrubbed off to rid himself of not only the filth and possible vermin but also to recreate himself after his new redemption transformation? Perhaps they decided to make him look so different to convey a more dramatic image of that in the show this season?

I would assume they simply just didn't make it as dramatic of a transformation.

Archived