Bakker XXII: All Aboard the Damnation Express

Sci-2

I've really got no dog in the Esmenet vs Maithanet in WLW conversation, but just to clarify: quoting the text regarding Esmenet is not allowed because it's digging deep? Is it because challenging sweeping generalizations with textual refutation is cheating?

Does this ever happen? Seems like an artifact from when this was a D&D campaign, referencing clerics who can heal.

I don't know, I've never played D&D, so all references fly over my head.

Does this ever happen? Seems like an artifact from when this was a D&D campaign, referencing clerics who can heal.

Why would it be that?

Even if you don't think it happens, it's certainly the kind of thing Leweth would believe.

Isn't this what Psatma is? A Priest who moves the Gods' to grant men respite from tyranny?

Hmmmm...that is a good point.

Though I've never been clear on how much the public knows about that sort of thing.

• 2 months later...

For some reason, this scene brings out the worst in the denizens of this board. (And, yes, I believe that even the phrase brings out the worst was able to trigger some fecal connotation with these people.)

Heres my best explanation: Souls are all connected. In fact, they are pin-pricks to the Outside, where your soul and mine are part of some huge meta-soul, which may (or may not) be identical to the God.

Distance has no meaning in the outside; all souls are simultaneously here. It is only in their (temporary) projection in the physical world where souls experience distantness. Thats how the cants of calling work; thats also how teleportation works: they make the soul forget their distantness, unifying space for a moment.

At the point of His resurrection, Kellhus is as close to the God as hell ever get. (This is the Holiest moment in the entire books. In our own theologies, it corresponds to the moment where Christ is Risen, or the Prophet ascends. Epic level. Whatever the metaphysics of the fictional setting allows: now is the moment.) So Kellhus reaches into the physical location of his soul (namely, his ribcage). His Holy Wife has just died according to Scripture; no two souls were ever closer. He reaches into the Outside whatever that means, grabs her heart (which is right there, whatever that means), and rips it out.

Crazy? No more crazy than whole demons being summoned, which we know can be done because weve even had a POV from them. Clearly, stuff can move between Out- and Inside.

I think it makes complete sense within the metaphysical framework.

Your on to something. And I believe your explanation makes most since. Someone was saying it couldn't be magic because thereafter kelhuss was wearing a chorae. But we know chora doesn't effect the cish. Therefore it was obviously Cish magic.

Unless I'm mistaking in that cish are immune chorae. I could be. If I am please diregard

Chorae does affect the Cishaurim. They aren't affected in precisely the same way as sorcerers - they are described to go up in a flash of light. But they still get destroyed, all the same.

Cish don't bear the mark. Their sorceries don't mark the onta either. But contradiction waits for no snakehead.

The thread was not properly closed by the moderators.

Sometimes, threads from the Outside leak into reality. They are marked by a strange… torsion, like the scribblings of an infant on a tapestry.

Some derogatory remark about Big Bang Theory or the speed with which GRRM publishes books will normally get a thread closed quickly enough.

Some derogatory remark about Big Bang Theory or the speed with which GRRM publishes books will normally get a thread closed quickly enough.

Indeed, nothing gets a thread closed like a critical comment about GRRM's dedication to his profession.

Your on to something. And I believe your explanation makes most since. Someone was saying it couldn't be magic because thereafter kelhuss was wearing a chorae. But we know chora doesn't effect the cish. Therefore it was obviously Cish magic.

Unless I'm mistaking in that cish are immune chorae. I could be. If I am please diregard

Foënghus was killed by Cnaiür's Chorae.

Crazy? No more crazy than whole demons being summoned, which we know can be done because weve even had a POV from them. Clearly, stuff can move between Out- and Inside.

or, in the words of mr. pynchon: stick it in...pull it out...stick it in...ooh that is good.

Archived