Talk about Stannis Baratheon(and then perform your duties in a leal and puissant manner)

E-Ro

Well there are like a shitton of threads discussing Stannis on the front page right now. And most of them are going to get locked for length soon, so I figure I will alleviate this issue and make a stannis thread for all discussion of all things stannis. This thread really has no specific subject other then Stannis. You can talk about mistakes you think he has made, things you feel he has done right, you can say why you like him, why you dont like him, where you think his arc is going etc. Just keep the debate lively, is all.

I will start us off.

People keep complaining about him leaving ings landing to go to dragonstone. Apparently this is seen as him leaving robert to die. I disagree. HE has served robert faithfully for 17 years. Him gong to dragonstone to do idk what, is hardly leaving robert to die. First of all, we dont know how long he was planning on staying for, and we dont know what he was doing. HE may have been deliberating on what his next move should be, what to tell robert and ned, or he might even have been looking for more evidence on the lannisters. We dont know. And since we dont know, I think its pretty silly to say he left Robert at kings landing to be murdered by the lannisters. that rally is not something he would do.

Have fun!

btw, you dont have to talk about him leaving for dragonstone, remember all that is important is that you discuss Stannis, this topic is open to many different discussions on the character, as long as its about him thats all that matters.

Ok so I'm basically gonna praise the guy.

It wasn't until I came to these forums and saw the (mostly) huge love for Stannis that I saw he was such a liked and popular character. Before that I thought he was kind of cold and harsh and a prick to most people. So I did a reread of the whole series, and can now safely say he is my favourite character. Aside from a couple of minor things I don't entirely like (humiliating and mocking Maester Cressen and the burnings) I pretty much like everything about him. His march of death on Winterfell in late aDwD is probably the moment I realised just how unrelenting and badass this guy was. Massive respect. Count me as a loyal follower of the one true king.

It wasn't until I came to these forums and saw the (mostly) huge love for Stannis that I saw he was such a liked and popular character. Before that I thought he was kind of cold and harsh and a prick to most people. So I did a reread of the whole series, and can now safely say he is my favourite character. Aside from a couple of minor things I don't entirely like (humiliating and mocking Maester Cressen and the burnings) I pretty much like everything about him. His march of death on Winterfell in late aDwD is probably the moment I realised just how unrelenting and badass this guy was. Massive respect. Count me as a loyal follower of the one true king.

This guy knows what he is talking about.

Awwwwww hells yeah brah!

See this is what I like to hear, I definitely think most people dont like Stannis on the first read. Especially since he isnt presented in the best of light when we first meet him in clash. But after that, its pretty much all good(burnings aside). IT takes a second read, imo for most people to appreciate him. Hes a very nuanced character.

Also, I feel like I should talk about the burnings.

Stannis has burned exactly 5 men alive. All of them criminals, that would have been executed by any other lord, albeit they might have been beheaded or hung and not burned but the end result is the same.

1.Alester florent, he was a traitor, tried to make a peace without the kings permission, and tried to marry off shireen.

2. Mance rayder, self explanatory really.

3.Three peasbury soldiers, cannibals. Now, cannibalism is bad, and keeping discipline in a starving army is of paramount importance. So, burning them to send a message is understandable. Bad, and i dont condone it, but understandable.

Is this what we refer to as internalized misogyny?

One could also argue that Seylse had to put up with Stannis.

Why does she only get the shit from fans?

Eh, shes hated more then she should be perhaps. But still, shes annoying. She is clingy, and easily manipulated It seems. She has gone completely religious fanatic with the rhollor stuff. So the hate she gets is not just because of her looks I feel, its also her personality.

Is this what we refer to as internalized misogyny?

One could also argue that Seylse had to put up with Stannis.

Why does she only get the shit from fans?

Honestly, Shireen is probably the real victim here. She had two parents, one of which is a rude fanatic, and the other a cold and distant king. Plus the greyscale doesn't help. It honestly seems like Cressen was more of a parent to her than her real parents :(

Honestly, Shireen is probably the real victim here. She had two parents, one of which is a rude fanatic, and the other a cold and distant king. Plus the greyscale doesn't help. It honestly seems like Cressen was more of a parent to her than her real parents :(

Shireen sitting on the Iron Throne (or getting Storm's End) would make me very happy, with or without Stannis.

I'm not sure how involved noble fathers are expected to be with their young daughters in Westeros, so I don't think it would make Stannis a "bad parent" for them not to be close. He no doubt loves her, though. His whole crusade is in part for her sake

Shireen sitting on the Iron Throne (or getting Storm's End) would make me very happy, with or without Stannis

If Stannis himself doesn't make it to sit on the Iron Throne, Shireen is my only other choice for it, with Jon or Davos as her Hand.

Shireen sitting on the Iron Throne (or getting Storm's End) would make me very happy, with or without Stannis.

I'm not sure how involved noble fathers are expected to be with their young daughters in Westeros, so I don't think it would make Stannis a "bad parent" for them not to be close. He no doubt loves her, though. His whole crusade is in part for her sake

I would also love it i shireen sat the throne at the end. Honestly, thats probably my ideal ending. Even more so then if Stannis sat the throne. And yes, he definitely loves shireen.

"It may be that we shall lose this battle," the king said grimly. "In Braavos you may hear that I am dead. It may even be true. You shall find my sellswords nonetheless."

The knight hesitated. "Your Grace, if you are dead — "

" — you will avenge my death, and seat my daughter on the Iron Throne. Or die in the attempt."

Ser Justin put one hand on his sword hilt. "On my honor as a knight, you have my word."

I'd think he was OK if he wasn't essentially a pussy-whipped heretic with more brawns than brain.

Seriously dude? How is he "pussy whipped?" And how is being a heretic a bad thing? He doesn't believe in the seven or rhollor, and I honestly love that about him. As an atheist irl I relate to his stance on religion and find it fascinating.

I agree with all of this. I almost want Shireen on the throne more than Stannis.

I like Shireen a lot and fuck Val for talking shit about her but lolll at her sitting the Iron Throne.....

Whats so funny about that? Im not seeing the humor in it.

Shireen sitting the throne might be a tad unlikely, but its certainly possible. Definitely more likely then jon sitting the throne and TONS of people think he will end up king.

Archived