Talk about Stannis Baratheon(and then perform your duties in a leal and puissant manner)

E-Ro

Another thing I want to address here, Stannis as a strategist/tactician.

This has been discussed alot, but I feel Stannis is the best commander in the series, topping Robert, Tywin, and even robb. I feel his successes at war outweigh all of theirs(with the exception of robert) and I feel his victories are way more impressive. He traps the greyjoys at fair isle, and smashes them. HE holds se for a year, he annihilates the wildlings at the battle of the wall in storm, and he cleans asha and her ironborn of of deepwood. Pretty impressive, imo. Especially fair isle and the wall. His best victories.

And, if my theory is right, he is about the smash the boltons in the battle of ice.

Stannis bristled at that. "I defeated your uncle Victarion and his Iron Fleet off Fair Isle, the first time your father crowned himself. I held Storm's End against the power of the Reach for a year, and took Dragonstone from the Targaryens. I smashed Mance Rayder at the Wall, though he had twenty times my numbers. Tell me, turncloak, what battles has the Bastard of Bolton ever won that I should fear him?"

"Bolton has blundered," the king declared. "All he had to do was sit inside his castle whilst we starved. Instead he has sent some portion of his strength forth to give us battle. His knights will be horsed, ours must fight afoot. His men will be well nourished, ours go into battle with empty bellies. It makes no matter. Ser Stupid, Lord Too-Fat, the Bastard, let them come. We hold the ground, and that I mean to turn to our advantage."

Yes, well this is pretty obvious, but allow me to spell it out. In dance there is alot of foreshadowing for this.

1.Stannis and his men are on a lake, the lake is being drilled with numerous holes to fish from, one of the northmen comments on how the lake is fished out and full of holes.

2.Stannis comments on how his men will be fighting on foot.

3.He remarks on how he holds the ground.

4.The man in charge of the freys is an idiot, made even more stupid by his anger and frustration.

After the frey force sent after stannis is broken, manderly rides in, makes a deal with stannis takes his sword to roose as proof stannis is dead, and opens up the gates.

Godswoods > Stannis

I like Shireen a lot and fuck Val for talking shit about her but lolll at her sitting the Iron Throne.....

I didn't say it was likely, only that it would please me. Of course she would need a strong, loyal, and cunning Hand and Regent (not Selyse)

Shireen sitting the throne might be a tad unlikely, but its certainly possible. Definitely more likely then jon sitting the throne and TONS of people think he will end up king.

B-but, prophecy! :p

Overall, Stannis is my favorite character. I actually liked him upon my first read (although I will admit I liked Renly better at first), and he's only grown on me. I like most people associated with Stannis' cause; Davos, Melisandre, I even like Selyse.

After the frey force sent after stannis is broken, manderly rides in, makes a deal with stannis takes his sword to roose as proof stannis is dead, and opens up the gates.

I agree with the rest of your predictions for how the battle will go, but I have serious quibbles with this part.

How many men is Manderly marching with? It would be pretty out of character for Roose to believe Manderly somehow survived the battle while Ramsay and all the Freys died. He already knows Manderly killed the Freys at White Harbor ("Do you believe Manderly?" "Did I give you that impression?") and the whole reason he sent him out of Winterfell is because he doesn't trust him.

Ramsay and the Freys are toast, but I just don't see Stannis getting into Winterfell as cleanly and easily as many other posters do.

Edit: Wait, isn't Manderly still in Winterfell because he had his neck sliced open? I think it's just his knights marching out in the snow

I would also love it i shireen sat the throne at the end. Honestly, thats probably my ideal ending. Even more so then if Stannis sat the throne. And yes, he definitely loves shireen.

"It may be that we shall lose this battle," the king said grimly. "In Braavos you may hear that I am dead. It may even be true. You shall find my sellswords nonetheless."

The knight hesitated. "Your Grace, if you are dead — "

" — you will avenge my death, and seat my daughter on the Iron Throne. Or die in the attempt."

Ser Justin put one hand on his sword hilt. "On my honor as a knight, you have my word."

I haven't seen any proof that Stannis actually loves Shireen. I don't think he is necessarily capable of love; the closest he gets to it is his relationship with Davos, which is platonic but intense. Stannis values Shireen because she is his child, his only heir; but as far as I can remember, he has never expressed any concern for her happiness (possibly because Stannis is rarely happy).

Stannis is an interesting character, but it's hard for me to warm to someone who insists on burning people alive; even men who ate dead men's flesh to stay alive (it's not like they killed them for food).

Yup, but for what its worth those were men at arms and knights, fully kitted out and badass. Still impressive though, since mance had giants and mammoths.

More and more men were pouring from the trees, not only knights now but freeriders and mounted bowmen and men at arms in jacks and kettle helms, dozens, hundreds of men. A blaze of banners flew above them. The wind was whipping them too wildly for jon to see the sigils, but he glimpsed a seahorse, a field of birds, a ring of flowers. And yellow, so much yellow, yellow banners with a red device, whos arms were those?

B-but, prophecy! :P

Overall, Stannis is my favorite character. I actually liked him upon my first read (although I will admit I liked Renly better at first), and he's only grown on me. I like most people associated with Stannis' cause; Davos, Melisandre, I even like Selyse.

LOL, you liked renly more at first? TRAITOR! lol.

I agree about the people you listed, the only one i come close to disliking is selyse. She sort of grates on me, but I feel sorry for her.

I agree with the rest of your predictions for how the battle will go, but I have serious quibbles with this part.

How many men is Manderly marching with? It would be pretty out of character for Roose to believe Manderly somehow survived the battle while Ramsay and all the Freys died. He already knows Manderly killed the Freys at White Harbor ("Do you believe Manderly?" "Did I give you that impression?") and the whole reason he sent him out of Winterfell is because he doesn't trust him.

Ramsay and the Freys are toast, but I just don't see Stannis getting into Winterfell as cleanly and easily as many other posters do.

Edit: Wait, isn't Manderly still in Winterfell because he had his neck sliced open? I think it's just his knights marching out in the snow

Well, its just a theory, and things can go many different ways at this point. The only part I feel sure about is the ice collapsing and Stannis winning a crushing victory. Him getting into winterfell is less likely, I agree. But I think my idea is definitely possible.

I definitely think most people dont like Stannis on the first read. Especially since he isnt presented in the best of light when we first meet him in clash. But after that, its pretty much all good(burnings aside). IT takes a second read, imo for most people to appreciate him. Hes a very nuanced character.

Just as a point of pride, I'd like to brag that I liked him from the first read. He was a bit of a jerk when he showed up in ACoK, but Ned had vouched for him, and that went a long way.

I haven't seen any proof that Stannis actually loves Shireen. I don't think he is necessarily capable of love; the closest he gets to it is his relationship with Davos, which is platonic but intense. Stannis values Shireen because she is his child, his only heir; but as far as I can remember, he has never expressed any concern for her happiness (possibly because Stannis is rarely happy).

Stannis is cold, and about the farthest you can be from "affectionate", but "incapable of love" seems like a stretch. He's had his mind on other things than his relationship with Shireen, and so has GRRM. I think the show did a pretty good job showing what a Stannis-Shireen interaction could look like - Stannis genuinely wanting to be a good father, out of love and duty, but failing.

LOL, you liked renly more at first? TRAITOR! lol.

I agree about the people you listed, the only one i come close to disliking is selyse. She sort of grates on me, but I feel sorry for her.

Don't worry, I'm not such a big Renly fan now :cool4:

And with Selyse, I find her interesting, and I actually found some of her dialogue kind of humorous in DwD. I don't really like her as a person. But then again, if Cersei, Tywin and Roose can have fans, Selyse can.

Stannis is an interesting character, but it's hard for me to warm to someone who insists on burning people alive; even men who ate dead men's flesh to stay alive (it's not like they killed them for food).

What is he supposed to do to show he loves her? Shower her with attention and hugs and kisses? Thats not the sort of man he is, and nor is that how things are done in westeros. The fact that he even thinks of her at all in a huge blizzard when he might be dying soon is proof enough for me. HE cares about what hapens to her after he dies, thats love imo.

Just as a point of pride, I'd like to brag that I liked him from the first read. He was a bit of a jerk when he showed up in ACoK, but Ned had vouched for him, and that went a long way.

Same brah brah. I liked him the moment ned told LF to go fuck himself when LF wanted to let joff sit the throne. Stannis was always the heir, and always my choice of king. In clash, when we first met him, I felt he was really going through a hard time and was hurt over renly dissing him.

I started to like Stannis from the scene he made Davos his hand onward. I was kinda pissed at him when he locked Davos up but he was pretty cool in Dance and especially awesome in the Winds chapter. Still though burning Godswood is a no-no.

Let him and the Mountain Clans bathe in Bolton and Frey blood.

Archived