Talk about Stannis Baratheon(and then perform your duties in a leal and puissant manner)

E-Ro

I didn't like Stannis when I read ACOK, but he won me over when he went to the wall. It did take a reread for me to notice he's funny in a dry acerbic way. He is known for being humorless when he actually isn't. I can relate to him because I have sort of an ice queen personality to people who don't know me because I'm a bit shy and I have bitchy resting face. I thought it was strange for me to start to like him. Until I came here of course.

Also the Stannis + Davos bromance is way better than the Ned + Robert bromance.

There. I call Stannis out for his flaws around here because you Stanstans stan so hard I can't help but poop the party. But today I shall praise. :cheers:

I started to like Stannis from the scene he made Davos his hand onward. I was kinda pissed at him when he locked Davos up but he was pretty cool in Dance and especially awesome in the Winds chapter. Still though burning Godswood is a no-no.

Let him and the Mountain Clans bathe in Bolton and Frey blood.

He never did that.

I started to like Stannis from the scene he made Davos his hand onward. I was kinda pissed at him when he locked Davos up but he was pretty cool in Dance and especially awesome in the Winds chapter. Still though burning Godswood is a no-no.

Let him and the Mountain Clans bathe in Bolton and Frey blood.

Yeah, the burning of the godswoods was fucked up, just as bad as the burnings imo. In all though, im willing to overlook these, and I think compared to what the other people in running for the throne have done these are light crimes.

I didn't like Stannis when I read ACOK, but he won me over when he went to the wall. It did take a reread for me to notice he's funny in a dry acerbic way. He is known for being humorless when he actually isn't. I can relate to him because I have sort of an ice queen personality to people who don't know me because I'm a bit shy and I have bitchy resting face. I thought it was strange for me to start to like him. Until I came here of course.

:wub: Im swooning.

Also the Stannis + Davos bromance is way better than the Ned + Robert bromance.

There. I call Stannis out for his flaws around here because you Stanstans stan so hard I can't help but poop the party. But today I shall praise. :cheers:

Yeah, Stavos> nedbert in every way.

Melisandre saw in the flames the danger to her life, since we know from Davos PoV he has made up his mind to kill her. But before he could do anything Axell arrests him. Stannis had no clue or it is not mentioned. He never gave the order.

It's been a minute since I re-read the series, Where is it in the text that Stannis had no clue?

Either way Davos was in the dungeons for a fairly long time, Even if he didn't give the order. He must of known he was down there and went along with it...

It's strange that a lot people give Stannis shit for burning the godswoods when no one really cares that he burnt the idols of the Seven. I'm sensing a bit of Stark and North favouritism here....

Anyway, they're just trees when you look at it basically. Comparing the burning of trees to people is a bit drastic.

Stannis Baratheon represents justice for the realm and is the true heir(the targaryans were deposed). All that have fallen by his command were traitors and accordingly met their fates. King Stannis repeatedly vows justice for the murders of Jon, Ned, and Bob, and for Cercei cheatin ways. Lord davos as hand vowed vengeance to the Manderlys( basically the North) for their murdered lord, buthered princes and King. The nod he gave Jon after Jonos's deserved fate. The man is justice personified, a true king!

I think it's worth looking at Stannis as GRRM's twist on the "dark lord" or "corrupted King" trope. People have probably already addressed this in a lot more depth, but I'm on adderall and my paper's done so here goes... :cool4:

When we first meet Stannis, he has already been built up in AGOT as someone not to fuck with. Someone to be feared. Then we go to a place called Dragonstone, with an ancient, forbidding castle complete with scary gargoyles. Bit like an island "lair" no? Stannis is found brooding over a huge table shaped like Westeros. A supervillain plotting to take over the world. Then there's Melisandre, who's frightening and powerful and has a strong influence on Stannis. Obviously she is whispering in the King's ear, turning him to the dark side. Even his right-hand man is a smuggler. So his top advisors are a witch and a criminal.

But as the story progresses, we realize our first impression was very flawed. Melisandre may be mistaken in her beliefs but she genuinely wants to save the world - our views of her were colored by Cressen and Davos's biases. His right-hand Davos is obviously a good man, one of the most upright in the series. And Stannis himself is a hugely complex man, straddling the line between hero and villain. Other characters talk about his collusion with "dark forces" and his burning people alive, but he sincerely believes he is serving the true God and pursuing justice. Far from some "Demon King" threatening the realm, Stannis is one of the few high lords to actually defend it. He uses Melisandre, but he is not her puppet.

Just some thoughts.

It's strange that a lot people give Stannis shit for burning the godswoods when no one really cares that he burnt the idols of the Seven. I'm sensing a bit of Stark and North favouritism here....

I'm mostly just messing around, I think all his burnings are equally bad.

It's been a minute since I re-read the series, Where is it in the text that Stannis had no clue?

Either way Davos was in the dungeons for a fairly long time, Even if he didn't give the order. He must of known he was down there and went along with it...

Davos II, Chapter 10. Stannis is secluded and has yet to talk to anyone else than Mel. Mel saw it in the flames and gave Axell the order. Stannis doesn't get informed.

In Davos III Chapter 25, Mel visits Davos, but they never mention Stannis giving the order.

Davos II, Chapter 10. Stannis is secluded and has yet to talk to anyone else than Mel. Mel saw it in the flames and gave Axell the order. Stannis doesn't get informed.

In Davos III Chapter 25, Mel visits Davos, but they never mention Stannis giving the order.

If we go by your thinking (which I don't) Then Stannis is just a dumbass for letting a red priestess do whatever she wants while he ignorantly broods. I dont think he's that stupid. He knows whats going on on Dragonstone :D

Stannis Baratheon represents justice for the realm and is the true heir(the targaryans were deposed). All that have fallen by his command were traitors and accordingly met their fates. King Stannis repeatedly vows justice for the murders of Jon, Ned, and Bob, and for Cercei cheatin ways. Lord davos as hand vowed vengeance to the Manderlys( basically the North) for their murdered lord, buthered princes and King. The nod he gave Jon after Jonos's deserved fate. The man is justice personified, a true king!

Ser Marlon turned to his lord cousin. “Your lordship asked the onion knight what Stannis offers us. Let me answer. He offers us defeat and death.”

“Death,” he heard himself say,“ there will be death, aye. Your lordship lost a son at the Red Wedding. I lost four upon the Blackwater. And why? Because the Lannisters stole the throne. Go to King’s Landing and look on Tommen with your own eyes, if you doubt me. A blind man could see it. What does Stannis offer you? Vengeance. Vengeance for my sons and yours, for your husbands and your fathers and your brothers. Vengeance for your murdered lord, your murdered king, your butchered princes. Vengeance!”

Easily one of the best moments in the entire series.

If we go by your thinking (which I don't) Then Stannis is just a dumbass for letting a red priestess do whatever she wants while he ignorantly broods. I dont think he's that stupid. He knows whats going on on Dragonstone :D

Well he is not the smartest kid on the block, i'll give you that.

I think it's worth looking at Stannis as GRRM's twist on the "dark lord" or "corrupted King" trope. People have probably already addressed this in a lot more depth, but I'm on adderall and my paper's done so here goes... :cool4:

When we first meet Stannis, he has already been built up in AGOT as someone not to fuck with. Someone to be feared. Then we go to a place called Dragonstone, with an ancient, forbidding castle complete with scary gargoyles. Bit like an island "lair" no? Stannis is found brooding over a huge table shaped like Westeros. A supervillain plotting to take over the world. Then there's Melisandre, who's frightening and powerful and has a strong influence on Stannis. Obviously she is whispering in the King's ear, turning him to the dark side. Even his right-hand man is a smuggler. So his top advisors are a witch and a criminal.

But as the story progresses, we realize our first impression was very flawed. Melisandre may be mistaken in her beliefs but she genuinely wants to save the world - our views of her were colored by Cressen and Davos's biases. His right-hand Davos is obviously a good man, one of the most upright in the series. And Stannis himself is a hugely complex man, straddling the line between hero and villain. Other characters talk about his collusion with "dark forces" and his burning people alive, but he sincerely believes he is serving the true God and pursuing justice. Far from some "Demon King" threatening the realm, Stannis is one of the few high lords to actually defend it. He uses Melisandre, but he is not her puppet.

Just some thoughts.

Really well said, and I agree. Also worth mentioning that grrm has said mel is the most misunderstood character in the series. So, I Think people are way way to harsh of her. You would be right the be suspicious, but I do think she really wants to save the world from a danger that is very real.

Also I could not be happier with how this thread is going so far. Much love people!

This isn't some sort of parole violation, E-Ro? Okay.

Here's one from earlier today that got locked for length, which can now be dragged back on stage and forced to sing one more time like an American Idol contestant after they've been voted off the show, all thanks to this new Stan talk outlet:

Stan's sword is cold because his personal iciness cancels out the heat from it. Give that same sword to Satin and it's totally flaming in no time.

Also, while sitting in that icy tent shivering, Stannis may discover rap music. His staggered exhaling and involuntary muscle contractions may produce beatboxing sounds that impress his army and boost their morale. Has anyone drawn attention to this before? It would make Stannis a Westerosi original, the first to cross over into the hiphop genre and represent the West Coast sound with his first single Dragon Stones (points to his crotch repeatedly) and Ice Ice Barae-thee (-On) followed by The Notorious K.N.U.C.K.L.E.R. Then he brings the house down by literally bringing the walls of Winterfell down to celebrate the end of this second leg of his world tour.

"I'm the showstopper / the Wall dropper / my horn sounds'zas'yur shit comes down / you shoulda feared it b'fore now / but choo can't hear it cuz how / you gonna hear it when you dead? / You hear dat, Roose? you dead. / Your head all froze up / 'swhy this one goes up / to R'hllor-in-a-blood-red-sky / cuz dis victry is mine / 'twasn't you 'twas I / who made the ice my ride / my bed, my pride / a-place-to-fish-and-fry-while-your-Freys-all-fled / I turned the snow yellow / you made it red / I pissed on your fellows / as they bled / steam hissed off 'a that / frozen tableau of the dead /

I...

Fell....

On....

Winter-Fell On Winter-Fell on / Wintr'-don't-fall-on-me / I fall on Winter Fall-on-Winter / Fall on Winter to the SPRING / I fell on Winter / fell on Winter / fell on Wintr'-don't-fall-on-me / I fell upon the Roose and Rams / goddamn you know I'm gonna be KING.

I...

Fell...

On...

and

on.....

and......

on

Ba-Ray-Theee-

-ON

and

On

and

on to king's landing.

I Fell on Winter.....

Winter didn't fall on me.

(Drops his burning sword and stalks off to shave his wife).

Archived