R + L = J v 69

Stubby

Ned and Robert were reunited over their grief over Lyanna. Ned could not travel back north without letting Robert know that Lyanna had died.

I don't consider that as true. Think about the condition that Ned left King's Landing in. He was nearly at the point of bringing his armies to fight with Robert and his armies. True he is miserable about losing his sister, but he has no motivation to speak to Robert about it at this point in time. In fact, he has motivation to avoid Robert, as he may not know how to explain Jon's presence without arousing suspicions. They can commiserate together at some later date, and it is apparently before they take on the Greyjoy rebellion, but it could be during.

Lady G did bring up Cersei's wedding. In thinking about it, Robert would have been told about Lyanna's death before he married Cersei, and I believe that Ned did attend the wedding.

I haven't read the whole discussion (who could do that?) but you all take something for granted as it seems: he isn't child of Ned Stark. Many of you gave tons possible explanations to one thing or another but missed the point.

If there're strong speculations about magic abilities derived from the Whent bloodline, as what appears to be the explanation of all Catelyn's children possession of "magic" in their "blood", and Lyanna's unusual and unexpected skills, probably inherited form her mother or grandmother, then it is even more evident that Jon could be son of Ned Stark and not named other woman.

Think about it for a second.

This special gift isn't strong in Lyanna, if she had it at all, but apparently less evident or not existing in Eddard, Benjen (supported only by a short comment by Roose Bolton) and Brandon Stark. But what about Ned's crippled son, Bran? He has very, very strong gift, result of mixing the blood of two families who probably also had it in their veins.

Wargs, on the other hand, are far more common because we know of at least other 2 or 3 wargs among the Free Folk, adding them those who might have it south of the Wall. Does any other greenseer exist except Bran and the one who he met (though not sure if Bran would become a greenseer)?

It is fair to say that greenseering is more rare occurrence of this gift than shapeshifting. And also it is more likely a normal child to be born of such marriage because the other 4 of Ned's and Catelyn's children do not show any evidence that they have it, at least for now.

If Stark's and Tully's child could become a greenseer what would Jon become if he was the child of Targaryen and Stark? Definitely not a warg I presume.

I must admit I don't follow. Where is there any mention of Whent special abilities, and why do you assume that Lyanna inherited skills only in maternal lineage? And, since her skill seems to be based on warging, why shouldn't her child be a warg, as well?

And BTW, Lyanna was not the only exceptional rider in her generation, Brandon was, as well.

As for the statistic distribution of wargs and greenseers, IIRC, it goes "one in a thousand men is a warg and one in a thousand wargs is a greenseer".

And the harp is not meaningless - it would be the only way for her to be reunited with the man she loved, and for the rest of Westeros, it's a huge neon sign because no way would Ned Stark bury his sister with a reminder of the man who raped/dishonoured her.

A neon sign... Of sentimentality.

The harp wouldn't be as... ambiguous as once Blackfyre was. Would it move the Realm? No. It doesn't hold importance. It is not the symbol of power, of the Crown. The harp is important to Rhaegar,as a person, but not to Rhaegar, the heir apparent. The harp doesn't raise questions. "And? Aye, the girl was paid in harp..." You can refute its purpose.

We are at a very specific point in the story that demands that every new discovery is of consequence in regards to the overreaching narration.

That is, of course, if there's is something in the crypts, and Jon's dream was indeed manipulated by Bloodraven.

Still worried about this? The funny thing is it doesn't matter much. Another funny thing is that Jon does the important deeds without noticing: Ygritte had to explain him how he had stollen her.

At the end of ADWD, Jon had performed every customary step to be the KBTW, president of FROPON, or whatever you best style the leader of the wildlings. He had stollen them at swordpoint, he had received their homage at the crossing of the Wall, and inmediately collected his first taxes. Then, he "called his banners" at the shields' hall, and they followed enthusiastically. Finally, the diehard wallmen stabbed him as to a proper wildling. Still, the poor old sod seems utterly unconscious of what he's been doing and what it means.

And there's old gods faced Ghost,...

I imagine GRRM telling us of Jon's parentage whe Benjen finds out what his nephew has become, and musing something of this sort: "How comes that Prince Rhaegar's son is now the king of the wildlings. Blame on his father for stealing my sister at swordpoint as if they were wildlings. I won't tell, he'll be better off thinking he's Ned's bastard son." :lmao:

This might be better for TPatQ thread, but it was something that caught my eye in the story that made me wonder how it could relate to Jon, on the assumption that R+L=J:

Towards the end of TPatQ, Sunfyre, Prince Aegon's dragon, flies to Dragonstone where Prince Aegon has gone, unbeknowst to almost everyone. The maester writing the history speculates that, while no one truly understands how the bond between rider and dragon works, perhaps Sunfyre sensed Prince Aegon's need...anyway, in the context of R+L=J, that sentence stood out for me in the text (one thing is that "need" is actually italicized)...I'm always intrigued by little hints dropped places, but I wondered if we'd see a dragon just show up when Jon truly needs one, sort of Sword of Gryffindor style.

Nice thought, but magic in this series is very different than in Harry Potter. When Harry is in peril something miraculous happens to save his ass. Yes yes, he is brave and brilliant. However magic presents itself to him as a solution to his problems. It makes sense and richens the plot because, well, he is a wizard. Naturally his way to solve his dilemmas would be with spells. A sword showing up, or a petronis, makes sense. A dragon showing up randomly would be out of sorts for this series. Magic has never been a solution, it's more like an element.

As we have seen zero evidence of Tully skinchangers outside of the Stark children...

True indeed. But if we are to speak of "evidence" then the whole topic is pointless and unnecessary as there is no evidence that Jon isn't Ned Stark's bastard son either. There are only rumors, suspicious and lots of theorycrafting on the forums.

In general there are a lot of things that happened in Harrenhall and it appears as a very special place which plays unusual role in the whole story: the next day it had been built, the Targariens had invaded the Seven Kingdoms; Lyanna Stark has been abducted after the Tourney there; there is the biggest Godswood currently in the Seven Kingdoms (as far as I remember), nearly 7 times bigger than the one in Wintefell though it's located in the Riverlands and not in the North; there's the Isle of Faces in close proximity where the First Men and the Children of the Forest have signed peace and where the Children might have lived for many years; and so on and so on.

It is true that only House Blackwood are the only noble house in the Riverlands to claim their First Men ancestry, but are they the only one to have the First Men blood in their lineage? I'd rather say no. Probably some or all of the previous rulers of Harrenhal had it. It appears most possible for the House Lothston, who ruled before Whent, at least because of the stories for one Lady Lothston who used to abduct children and eat them or the another who, in addition, also used to bath in her victims blood. Usually this is one of the features used to describe the savages and wildlings (according to Old Nan stories). And the First Men blood is strong among the Free Folk.

Bare in mind that when Harren start building the castle, lots of the cut down weirwoods were used to lay its foundations which could be another clue for connection between Harrenhal, the First Men the Children and the castle's rulers respectively.

So there's another clue that rulers of Harrenhal or the people who lived in the surrounding areas have the First Men bloodline. So it appears highly possible that the Whents are related to First Men.

There are two interesting things about Catelyn's mother: she died while she was giving birth to her third child; she was Whent, most probably sister of Lady Whent's father or his cousin (but that's not important).

It is too little that we know of House Whent besiders that they were the last rules of Harrenhal before the war of the 5 kings broke out. The women of house Whent, however, seem to have strange history.

Lord Walder Fray was married to a Whent but didn't have any children from her. Last Lady Whent didn't have children too. Another of Whents was married to one of Lord Frey's sons- no children again but couple of miscarriages and stillborns mentioned. Catelyn's mother died while giving birth to Edmure and her daughter Lysa had couple of miscarriages, had two stillborn children before giving birth to a "sickly" boy. So there is a line of hardily conceiving, infertile women and the question is why. There're also suggestions and rumors, at least I've heard of such, that Rober Arryn could also possess some magic.

This plus the story of Whent, plus the curse of Harrenhal leaves me to believe that it is possible for Catelyn to carry some of the First Men's blood and respectively all her children through her mother's lineage. And gives a possible explanation why Bran has the greensight, because both his parents had the FM blood or if you wish a blood of strong magic as in the case of Bloodraven.

Therefore, Jon can only changeskin because his blood doesn't contain enough of the old magic in it.

snip

I respectfully suggest reading the reference guide on the first page as well as correcting some misconceptions in your theorising. It is unknown where Lyanna was abducted from, and it happened about a year after the tourney, not right after.

There is certainly something strange about the feasts in the Great Hall of Winterfell. After the stable collapsed, everyone (including dogs and horses) gathered in the Great Hall, the dead horses were cooked and they had a feast with music, women and games. Then Theon got outside.

“Theon Turncloak. Theon Kinslayer.”

“I’m not. I never … I was ironborn.”

“False is all you were. How is it you still breathe?”

“The gods are not done with me,” Theon answered, wondering if this could be the killer, the night walker who had stuffed Yellow Dick’s cock into his mouth and pushed Roger Ryswell’s groom off the battlements. Oddly, he was not afraid. He pulled the glove from his left hand. “Lord Ramsay is not done with me.”

The man looked, and laughed. “I leave you to him, then.”

Way back when Theon captured Winterfell, he dreamed that famous dream of his: The Feast of the Dead. All the people known to him as dead were at the feast as the cold winds were rising outside. Theon was thinking that he would die next day as Ser Rodrik was going to take the castle.

“Ironborn will feast before a battle too. A last taste of life, should death await.”

That night he [Theon] dreamed of the feast Ned Stark had thrown when King Robert came to Winterfell. The hall rang with music and laughter, though the cold winds were rising outside.

And then the tall doors opened with a crash, and a freezing gale blew down the hall, and Robb came walking out of the night. Grey Wind stalked beside, eyes burning, and man and wolf alike bled from half a hundred savage wounds.

In this dream, Robb’s ghost appeared as a night walker. Robb headed to the Great Hall just like the Hooded Man was heading to the feast as it seems.

However, Jon was also dreaming the dead Starks having a feast. This is interesting because I dont remember any event which can make Jon relate the dead Starks with a feast subconsciously.

“I don’t even dream of Ghost anymore. All my dreams are of the crypts, of the stone kings on their thrones. Sometimes I hear Robb’s voice, and my father’s, as if they were at a feast. But there’s a wall between us, and I know that no place has been set for me.”

True indeed. But if we are to speak of "evidence" then the whole topic is pointless and unnecessary as there is no evidence that Jon isn't Ned Stark's bastard son either. There are only rumors, suspicious and lots of theorycrafting on the forums.

In general there are a lot of things that happened in Harrenhall and it appears as a very special place which plays unusual role in the whole story: the next day it had been built, the Targariens had invaded the Seven Kingdoms; Lyanna Stark has been abducted after the Tourney there; there is the biggest Godswood currently in the Seven Kingdoms (as far as I remember), nearly 7 times bigger than the one in Wintefell though it's located in the Riverlands and not in the North; there's the Isle of Faces in close proximity where the First Men and the Children of the Forest have signed peace and where the Children might have lived for many years; and so on and so on.

It is true that only House Blackwood are the only noble house in the Riverlands to claim their First Men ancestry, but are they the only one to have the First Men blood in their lineage? I'd rather say no. Probably some or all of the previous rulers of Harrenhal had it. It appears most possible for the House Lothston, who ruled before Whent, at least because of the stories for one Lady Lothston who used to abduct children and eat them or the another who, in addition, also used to bath in her victims blood. Usually this is one of the features used to describe the savages and wildlings (according to Old Nan stories). And the First Men blood is strong among the Free Folk.

Bare in mind that when Harren start building the castle, lots of the cut down weirwoods were used to lay its foundations which could be another clue for connection between Harrenhal, the First Men the Children and the castle's rulers respectively.

So there's another clue that rulers of Harrenhal or the people who lived in the surrounding areas have the First Men bloodline. So it appears highly possible that the Whents are related to First Men.

There are two interesting things about Catelyn's mother: she died while she was giving birth to her third child; she was Whent, most probably sister of Lady Whent's father or his cousin (but that's not important).

It is too little that we know of House Whent besiders that they were the last rules of Harrenhal before the war of the 5 kings broke out. The women of house Whent, however, seem to have strange history.

Lord Walder Fray was married to a Whent but didn't have any children from her. Last Lady Whent didn't have children too. Another of Whents was married to one of Lord Frey's sons- no children again but couple of miscarriages and stillborns mentioned. Catelyn's mother died while giving birth to Edmure and her daughter Lysa had couple of miscarriages, had two stillborn children before giving birth to a "sickly" boy. So there is a line of hardily conceiving, infertile women and the question is why. There're also suggestions and rumors, at least I've heard of such, that Rober Arryn could also possess some magic.

This plus the story of Whent, plus the curse of Harrenhal leaves me to believe that it is possible for Catelyn to carry some of the First Men's blood and respectively all her children through her mother's lineage. And gives a possible explanation why Bran has the greensight, because both his parents had the FM blood or if you wish a blood of strong magic as in the case of Bloodraven.

Therefore, Jon can only changeskin because his blood doesn't contain enough of the old magic in it.

Good analysis. :)

"There is a glass candle burning in the Mage's chambers."

He had heard there were four, one was green and three were black.

The parties in the Dance of Dragons were referred to as the blacks and greens.There is one green or Blackfyre, Aegon, while there are three blacks or Targaryens at the time of these quotes: Aemon, Jon and Dany.

Our lives are candle flames, says The Seven-Pointed Star. Any puff of errant wind can snuff us out.

The [black glass candle] was unpleasantly bright. There was something queer about it, The flame did not flicker, even when Archmaester Marwyn closed the door so hard that papers blew off a nearby table.

"Call it dragonglass." Archmaester Marwyn glanced at the candle for a moment. "It burns but is not consumed."

One of the black candles is lit, and the flame not flickering even with the wind might point to Jon surviving the series even when the wind blows against him like with the Ides of Marsh and at Queenscrown. The glass candle burns, but it is not consumed, or the candle burns yet at the same time is preserved, an aspect of both ice and fire.

I don't consider that as true. Think about the condition that Ned left King's Landing in. He was nearly at the point of bringing his armies to fight with Robert and his armies. True he is miserable about losing his sister, but he has no motivation to speak to Robert about it at this point in time. In fact, he has motivation to avoid Robert, as he may not know how to explain Jon's presence without arousing suspicions. They can commiserate together at some later date, and it is apparently before they take on the Greyjoy rebellion, but it could be during.

Lady G did bring up Cersei's wedding. In thinking about it, Robert would have been told about Lyanna's death before he married Cersei, and I believe that Ned did attend the wedding.

This doesn't say the exact location, but it does say that it was their shared grief that reconciled Ned and Robert.

"Not even Jon Arryn had been able to calm that storm. Eddard Stark had ridden out that very day in a cold rage, to fight the last battles of the war alone in the south. It had taken another death to reconcile them; Lyanna’s death, and the grief they had shared over her passing."

AGOT - Eddard

Therefore, Jon can only changeskin because his blood doesn't contain enough of the old magic in it.t

It's true, we don't really know where Lyanna was when she was abducted. However, I think that the link between the current generation of Starks to Harrenhal could be quite important, and the location of Harrenhal to the God's Eye, the Green Men, and the Isle of Faces on its own is not coincidental. The weirwoods were cut down and Harrenhal was built over them, but that might not mean the magic is completely gone; Jaime has a rather peculiar dream while sleeping on a weirwood stump.

The other factor, that the blood of the First Men might still remain in the genetic makeup of people in the region, is no less reasonable to me than that it remains in the North after all this time. Possibly though it might be more diluted, but again, location, location, location.

There is certainly something strange about the feasts in the Great Hall of Winterfell. After the stable collapsed, everyone (including dogs and horses) gathered in the Great Hall, the dead horses were cooked and they had a feast with music, women and games. Then Theon got outside.

“Theon Turncloak. Theon Kinslayer.”

“I’m not. I never … I was ironborn.”

“False is all you were. How is it you still breathe?”

“The gods are not done with me,” Theon answered, wondering if this could be the killer, the night walker who had stuffed Yellow Dick’s cock into his mouth and pushed Roger Ryswell’s groom off the battlements. Oddly, he was not afraid. He pulled the glove from his left hand. “Lord Ramsay is not done with me.”

The man looked, and laughed. “I leave you to him, then.”

Way back when Theon captured Winterfell, he dreamed that famous dream of his: The Feast of the Dead. All the people known to him as dead were at the feast as the cold winds were rising outside. Theon was thinking that he would die next day as Ser Rodrik was going to take the castle.

“Ironborn will feast before a battle too. A last taste of life, should death await.”

That night he [Theon] dreamed of the feast Ned Stark had thrown when King Robert came to Winterfell. The hall rang with music and laughter, though the cold winds were rising outside.

And then the tall doors opened with a crash, and a freezing gale blew down the hall, and Robb came walking out of the night. Grey Wind stalked beside, eyes burning, and man and wolf alike bled from half a hundred savage wounds.

In this dream, Robb’s ghost appeared as a night walker. Robb headed to the Great Hall just like the Hooded Man was heading to the feast as it seems.

However, Jon was also dreaming the dead Starks having a feast. This is interesting because I dont remember any event which can make Jon relate the dead Starks with a feast subconsciously.

“I don’t even dream of Ghost anymore. All my dreams are of the crypts, of the stone kings on their thrones. Sometimes I hear Robb’s voice, and my father’s, as if they were at a feast. But there’s a wall between us, and I know that no place has been set for me.”

So I have a question that finally clicked into place when I read this. Greenseeing works for Bran by seeing in time, or across time (for lack of a better description). This seems different from seeing a ghost, or in the cases of the very vivid dreams (Ned's, Jaime's, Theon's), where figures are described as somewhat misty, and in this dream Robb appears out of a "freezing gale" and out of the night (the darkness). Are they just dreams (call Freud, we need a cigar!), or are they another kind of "seeing," in which the figures might be all too real?

And gives a possible explanation why Bran has the greensight, because both his parents had the FM blood or if you wish a blood of strong magic as in the case of Bloodraven.

As Ygrain stated one in a thousand skinchanger is a greenseer. I think Bloodraven says something along the line of "it's your blood that makes you a skinchanger" (he might have said greenseer, I'm not sure), so the blood of the FM seems an important factor - however it's been theorized in Heresy that in order to become a "greenseer," someone who has the gift (via blood) would need to go through what may be called a "shamanic initiation rite" - very often this "rite" refers to serious illness, or near death experience in childhood. This is based on the fact that both Jojen and Bran have green dreams, and both have had near death experiences. Of course Jojen is not a "greenseer," but then, he's not a Stark either - that's where the blood factor comes in.

As for Jon not having enough of the "old blood," and the gift being weak in him, we have no evidence telling us that he is any weaker than his cousins/half-siblings. But we have evidence of another warg recognizing that Jon is "powerful," and that coming from Varamyr Sixskins, himself one of the more powerful wargs among the wildlings, does says quite a lot imo. Jon seems very much in tune with Ghost, and he's been "refusing" the ability so far. That he's so "in tune" and yet has neither tried, nor wanted to control it hints that he's not incapable of establishing a stronger bond. Bran has embraced it right away, Rickon is too young and probably overwhelmed by the "wolf," and Arya - well, she's just going along with the tide, seems to me. Sansa is the one (not Jon) who has shown little ability - though she too is a warg. Even with Sansa, we can’t say “she’s weak” because her wolf died pretty early on, and she’s had little contact with other animals since then. Not so with Arya who is slipping both in Nymeria and a Cat – also whereas Sansa’s world is magic “free,” Arya and her other siblings know that “magic” exists, that IMO is also an important factor. Anyway, Bran is the only one who is exceptionally powerful, though all are powerful in their own right, I think.

You said on an earlier post that Jon wouldn't be a "warg" because he's half-Targaryen and half-Stark. He already is, as a matter of fact. A "warg" is a sort of subcategory of skinchangers, and the term is applied only to men/wolf relationship because their bond is slightly different from other "skinchanging" phenomena. Instead of just "slipping" into the skin of his wolf and forcing obedience, the relationship between the two is more "balanced". The wolf becomes part of the man, and the man part of the wolf. It's a "marriage" as Varamyr has called it, and it’s a marriage "for life."

If I Recall it correctly, won't the Targaryen blood have some Magic(valirian magic) too?

Welcome to the forums!

There's been plenty of speculation about the power of Valyrian blood, though I'm not sure that we have any definite proof about what this power might be. I haven't read any Dunk and Egg stories nor the Princess and the Queen, so I'm afraid I'm not the best to speak of the topic, but it seems that a few Targaryens have had prophetic dreams - that would account for one sort of magical power tied to Valyrian blood. There's no immunity to fire or illnesses that we know of, that appears a misconception of many readers (and Dany). However, Tyrion seems to think the blood of the dragon is somewhat special in that dragons would be able to recognize it on a person (I'm thinking about Tyrion and his musings about Brown Ben's ancestry).

Welcome to the forums!

There's been plenty of speculation about the power of Valyrian blood, though I'm not sure that we have any definite proof about what this power might be. I haven't read any Dunk and Egg stories nor the Princess and the Queen, so I'm afraid I'm not the best to speak of the topic, but it seems that a few Targaryens have had prophetic dreams - that would account for one sort of magical power tied to Valyrian blood. There's no immunity to fire or illnesses that we know of, that appears a misconception of many readers (and Dany). However, Tyrion seems to think the blood of the dragon is somewhat special in that dragons would be able to recognize it on a person (I'm thinking about Tyrion and his musings about Brown Ben's ancestry).

Thank you. The matter of Targaryen blood in my opinion is like to help him being a powerful warg.

If there is an egg in Lyanna's stone tomb, Jon could literally wake a dragon from stone.

As for the egg, I hardly doubt this. There are 3 dragons already, for three riders. Why add another egg now? I think there is a marriage certificate or something like so in the Tumbs.

It's true, we don't really know where Lyanna was when she was abducted. However, I think that the link between the current generation of Starks to Harrenhal could be quite important, and the location of Harrenhal to the God's Eye, the Green Men, and the Isle of Faces on its own is not coincidental. The weirwoods were cut down and Harrenhal was built over them, but that might not mean the magic is completely gone; Jaime has a rather peculiar dream while sleeping on a weirwood stump.

The other factor, that the blood of the First Men might still remain in the genetic makeup of people in the region, is no less reasonable to me than that it remains in the North after all this time. Possibly though it might be more diluted, but again, location, location, location.

Good analysis.

Even though it's a bit overused in many horror flicks, the idea of something haunted or cursed because its built on a Native American burial ground is actually what I thought about with the imagry of Harrenhal.

If there is an egg in Lyanna's stone tomb, Jon could literally wake a dragon from stone.

I'm actually thinking this is not necessarily out of the realm of possibility.

One of Martins themes are parallels, (i.e., "Ice and Fire," Targaryen/Starks, Jon and Dany), in terms of journey and awakening.

Jons coming into who and what he is via his "death" is something I speculate will be very similar to Dany, so awakening his own dragon as unique as he is and different than the other three would not be a deviation from that theme of "parallels."

Archived