R + L = J v 69

Stubby

Because Robb was raised in Ned's principles?

And what's your analysis? Why does the criticism of Rhaegar's honour evoke Lyanna's promise?

Yea. But again, what does this have to do with Rhaegar? Rhaegar was not raised by Ned. And Ned never thinks that Rhaegar's conduct was always honorable. (I think we may be going in circles.)

“What did any Targaryen ever know of honor? Go down into your crypt and ask Lyanna about the dragon’s honor!”

“You avenged Lyanna at the Trident,” Ned said, halting beside the king. Promise me, Ned, she had whispered.

Without context it reminds me of Black Crow's current signature: Promise me Ned. Promise me that bastard Rhaegar died screaming... :D

Perhaps it's just that he knows that Rhaegar was no rapist, but still did a dishonorable thing, which led to Lyanna begging for his promise. It might also depend on what exactly Lyanna wanted from Ned to promise her.

ETA: Speaking of the devil... Hello, Black Crow! :D

“What did any Targaryen ever know of honor? Go down into your crypt and ask Lyanna about the dragon’s honor!”

“You avenged Lyanna at the Trident,” Ned said, halting beside the king. Promise me, Ned, she had whispered.

I always took this passage to mean that mentioning Rhaegar makes Ned think about Lyanna, which isn't very strange, seeing as what happened to Lyanna, and Rhaegar's role in that.

I always took this passage to mean that mentioning Rhaegar makes Ned think about Lyanna, which isn't very strange, seeing as what happened to Lyanna, and Rhaegar's role in that.

It's not Rhaegar himself that is the topic of the paragraph, it's honour. His honour.

The dialogue is that the KG had not already fled to Dragonstone. Who knows what they would do in the future. We do not know what the KG were planning, we only know what they did. Crafting arguments around what the KG might have done is pointless.

There are no real pieces of evidence to this argument, just opinions and "what if"-logic.

Well if crafting arguments around what they might of done is pointless, then can you point me at the chapter that says Jon was even at the Tower? Cause as far as I know that is speculation, and one of Martins Co-authors, the owner of this site, and one of his editors thinks Jon was at Starfall. Seems like the logic doesn't work. So they may have been defending the King. I am not so sure the text proves it either way. People can say the text proves it, but it doesn't. Only the book that say Jon was at the Tower will prove it. The argument can be crafted either way.

I don't know how important it is anyway, people seem to obsess on who will be king or queen and it has to be their favorite. I don't see Jon every sits a throne. To many fans seem to think of this as a win of victory for the character they like. "This will prove how great my character is." You met the other rulers right? Does any of it seem good to you? Jon must beat Dany, probably has nothing to do with the story. I think Dany may sit the Throne briefly but will not survive the books.

People constantly complaining this is a red herring or that is a red herring whenever it conflicts with the idea of what they want to happen. Apparently this series has more red herrings then any books ever written x 1000.

Rhaegar was honorable? Could of been. Ned really respected him cause he didn't think he would go to a whore house? Ummmm yeah sure, that's exactly what respect is. Ned was a conflicted person and he had a lot to be conflicted about.

I doubt Ned had as much insight as people think into Rhaegar and Lyanna. You know he is conflicted about Jon but I doubt he thought much about the prophecy or even new it might pertain to Jon. Prophecies do not seem to be Neds thing, I doubt he would ever believe anything like that. Plus it works out in Jon's favor, the worst thing you can do is try to make a prophecy happen. "You become trapped within it" It's kind of like believing your own hype. If you notice the 3 characters most often associated with the 3 prophecies have no idea it has anything to do with them. Rhaegar on the other hand, was rather proactive in his approach. May even have been more proactive than we think.

No one ever seems to consider that Martin leaves clues, but they are usually little bread crumbs. Not 3 lines that tell you Jon was there, Jon is the King, and he is the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna. All in one little clue? I mean that is quite the clue for something that may have next to no impact on the story. Wait that would make it a red herring. Better add it to the list, number 120,122 on the red herring list. Gotta keep track in case someone brings it up again. I mean if people can claim Dany is a Red herring then, that speech easily falls into that category. There really should be a red herring thread.

Has it ever occured to you that the main reason why Aegon shouldn't attempt polygamy is that he is not in the position to afford anything even distantly controversial to any of his supporters, and above all, he cannot afford to alienate Dany by making her wife no. 2?

I think the point is that Connington does not say that taking two wives would be a bad idea for a Targaryen Prince. He says it is not possible.

Also, I find it kind of strange that some people think that Lyanna was too good to be Rhaegar's mistress but not too good to be Rhaegar's second wife; while at the same time thinking that Daenerys is not too good to be Daario's mistress but she is too good to be Aegon's second wife.

Not visiting whorehouses isn't necessarily a matter of honour, it could just as easily mean that he didn't drink whisky and disapproved of farting in church - and was far too serious to have a sense of humour

Farting in Septs you mean. And also the thin wine of Meereen, if distilled, might make a decent brandy. That would have improved the trade. But as it is, no one in Westeros or Essos seems to know how to make a pot still. Maybe Sam and Sarella can invent the thing. And the Septons will rail against them ever after for their sin :) :)

Archived