R + L = J v 69

Stubby

Why so hooked on the classical Greek thing? If anything, we know Martin likes to reverse/modify tropes and classical literature/drama approaches. I mean,we don't know, and you are using the Greek analogy as it should be cannon.

I just pointed out Moquorro's prophecy, and how it relates to the DotD 2.0 foreshadowing. What I meant is that Tyrion will be in the midst of things, and he may manipulate things to make it easier for him to obtain Casterly Rock. The part about the big shadow show him as a puppet master, and the snarling part can either refer to him betraying both, or a tangled mess of affairs that ends up hurting both the blacks and the greens.

It's just occurred to me that bright could very well mean red - having in mind that this was a choice of words made by a red priest, fire colours (red, orange, yellow) could lend themselves synonymous to the adjective bright (and its inherent positive connotations) vs the dark = black, grey colours.

Red Dragon vs Black Dragon, basically.

That is a good interpretation. I've been puzzled by this part, and what you propose certainly makes sense. Bright + fire/flame is a common collocation, and the colour associated with fire is red.

Ygrain, these prophecies are devilish, given how many roads you can take in interpreting them. :) However, I firmly believe they are simple (as straightforward as a prophecy can be) and clearly point to the people who would be involved - while the context is debatable and elusive.

So you understood the angle Lamprey and I have settled on; that Tyrion is gonna be the deuteragonist that initiates the whole DotD 2.0.

I wouldn't say initiate... But I get what you mean.

He is/has been snarling, alright... A proper little Lannister [lion].

Can we get back on subject, instead of wondering into things covered on other posts.

even though we have been over just about every bit of foreshadowing in the whole series.

i think for purpose of this post, ill compile the data, if i can...... and throw it back on here.

not really seen it ALL laid out together. if a man can accomplish such a thing.

It would be a fun psychological experiment to unpin this thread and let it trail to obscurity. To see how people react when it is not poking them in the eyes, because I believe many have become allergic to its existence and how substantial and accurate is the evidence for the validity of the theory, in fact so much that some of us have stop thinking about it as just a theory, something that evidently bothers a lot of people even more then the theory itself. Time is also a problem, it passes so much time between the books and as of book 5 it is still not officially confirmed so I understand how the theory and people behind it just start getting on other people's nerves even though such a thing is certainly not rational or justifiable.

I wonder how many newbies would post their own R+L=J empirical conclusions based on the data plastered in the books and how many would spawn Wylla, FMD, Ashara or even Cersei delusions? And would the animosity towards the newbie R+L=J theories be as great in some people as it is now for this one?

Yeah, well, just my thoughts after facepalming to other threads and posts.

It would be a fun psychological experiment to unpin this thread and let it trail to obscurity. To see how people react when it is not poking them in the eyes, because I believe many have become allergic to its existence and how substantial and accurate is the evidence for the validity of the theory, in fact so much that some of us have stop thinking about it as just a theory, something that evidently bothers a lot of people even more then the theory itself. Time is also a problem, it passes so much time between the books and as of book 5 it is still not officially confirmed so I understand how the theory and people behind it just start getting on other people's nerves even though such a thing is certainly not rational or justifiable.

I wonder how many newbies would post their own R+L=J empirical conclusions based on the data plastered in the books and how many would spawn Wylla, FMD, Ashara or even Cersei delusions? And would the animosity towards the newbie R+L=J theories be as great in some people as it is now for this one?

Yeah, well, just my thoughts after facepalming to other threads and posts.

Han snow, I agree, Although you seem almost apathetic towards the entire idea its completely understandable considering we are all fighting a war of attrition here...

and you made me realize, that posting all the data, is fruitless when i can look somewhere else or even just backtrack to the original post and find it there.... the

discussion will inevitably lead back to where we are now, with two alternate characters at the tail end of the thread debating whether or not to attempt CPR the 70th time,

or call a time of death....

Can you imagine, if something terribly unfortunate happened to G.R.R.M. and we never got TWOW, in 23 years the progress this thread will have made.

none.

"R + L = J v6,789 part 6 chapter 43 subsection 22 paragraph 12 revisitied"

but still, i cant help but love it.

What if the theory remains that. GRRM just gives us loads of clues about it but its never actually revealed and we have to spend the rest of our lives without fully knowing if it is true or not. Would you be pissed or would you not mind? I think it would be pretty cool either way.

She [Val] was not wrong. The trick was telling one from the other, parting the sheep from the goats.

-ADwD Jon V

When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne.All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats.

-Matthew 25:31-32

More Jesus references for Jon, pointing to him as the messainic figure of ASOIAF although I don't know how it relates to Jon's heritage, but I think it go here. I already posted this in another thread.

What if the theory remains that. GRRM just gives us loads of clues about it but its never actually revealed and we have to spend the rest of our lives without fully knowing if it is true or not. Would you be pissed or would you not mind? I think it would be pretty cool either way.

Then what would be the point of all the clues pointing to something if it isn't going to impact the story?

IIRC GRRM said it would be revealed at one point. :D so don't you worry about that

IIRC GRRM said it would be revealed at one point. :D so don't you worry about that

Here is the relevant SSM.

5- Will we know in time, with certainty, the identity of Jon Snow's parents (I don't believe Edric Dayne's tale)? Personally, I really hope he's Lyanna and Rhaegar's son, despite looking so much like Eddard.

Jon's parentage will be revealed eventually, yes.

Emphasis mine ;)

Also, really interesting for those who like the War of the Roses/aSoIaF parallels.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-25927760

And, for those who like the Ashara/Elia baby switch scenario, and historical parallels

http://www.theanneboleynfiles.com/31-january-1510-catherine-aragon-stillborn-daughter/

Also, really interesting for those who like the War of the Roses/aSoIaF parallels.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-25927760

And, for those who like the Ashara/Elia baby switch scenario, and historical parallels

http://www.theanneboleynfiles.com/31-january-1510-catherine-aragon-stillborn-daughter/

I read the second link, and though very interesting, I fail to see the comparison between this and the possible Ashara/Elia baby switch. Perhaps you could elaborate? :)

I read the second link, and though very interesting, I fail to see the comparison between this and the possible Ashara/Elia baby switch. Perhaps you could elaborate? :)

If I knew what you were missing, I could elaborate.

Certainly Catherine of Aragon didn't do such a thing, but some posit the theory that Elia might have.

A perspective:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/97085-exploring-the-parallels-between-the-children-of-the-forest-first-men-andals-rhoynar-and-british-history/

Archived