Sandor's destiny

Light a wight tonight

Simply because he was left for dead. Why reintroduce him as not dead when we already thought he was dead/dying?

That is a good point. It's not like GRRM is known for giving out happily ever afters and there's no reason for him to leave The Hound for dead and dying to the readers, only to beat us over the head with the obviousness of him being alive and then........do nothing with him? Thanks, now I do feel even more confident that Sandor will be off that isle, if he's not already. Either that, or we need to all send GRRM a thankyou note for finally giving one character a sweet and sappy HEA.

I really like this idea, but I think no.

I think Sandor is done in the books. I think that he's earned a quiet and peaceful end, and that's as much as we hear from him.

The poor bastard has suffered enough. Let him rest. There are no major plot points for him to perform.

I say this, and I do believe it but... if I'm right, why does Sansa think about him all the time? I have to doubt myself here. If Sandor is gone for good, we could just have more of Sansa swooning over some doucheknight. Why does he keep coming up in her thoughts?

This is what bothers me, and why I think that I can only give a 75% no to No More Hound.

The most satisfying ending for Sandor himself would be to find peace on the QI. I would not mind reading about a character turning towards religion but written by an agnostic like Martin, someone who has the same onlook on religion that I have. It might teach me something.

As soon as the character Sandor leaves the QI he is dead meat: he would either die saving Sansa from whatever or fighting his brother.

Sandor is a rather interesting literary character and I would not mind him getting a peaceful ending. But it would be karmic if he ended in the sausage of Mycah's dad.

Actually, a few characters turned towards religion, for better or worse. Lancel Lannister sees the light, as does the lapsed Red Priest Thoros when he realises he has revived the dead Beric. In a classic pattern for RL Dark Ages European ruling families, Selyse embraces R;hllor, then Stannis, and soon his followers. I would be shocked if Moqorro doesn't try to convert Dany (and fails, I hope). And I'm curious about what will happen to Bran's beliefs about the Old Gods when he sort of becomes one.

I can't imagine Sandor being a gravedigger for the rest of his life. I'm pretty sure that GRRM will reintroduce him to the story when we least expect it.

Besides, if GRRM wanted Sandor to find peace, he would have let him die. With the Others and Dany coming, I can't imagine Westeros being a very peaceful place.

Sandor IF he is on the quiet isle has to be badly injured does everyone think he is ready to battle his brother in the shape he would be in after we last seen him. I hope it's him an he goes to Sansa in the vale.i can't wait to see how everything works out truly hate waiting.sansa an sandor with littlefinger Royce's maybe brianne Jamie all ending up in vale then Danny lands and the head to wall to battle the others with there king Jon snow

I'm also confused as to why anyone would think he would be chosen as the Champion of the Faith when he refused knighthood...and is subsequently disqualified from being one of the Warrior's Sons. A more fitting individual for that role would be Lancel or Bonnifer Hasty. I would love to see Clegane Bowl just as much as the next gal but I don't think that's the purpose for GRRM giving Sandor a 50/50 death scenario. I have to wonder if Elder Brother or Septon Meribald could have let slip the nature of Brienne's quest though. That might be enough to get him to bugger off the QI in a hurry :)

The Quiet Isle is a place for healing and introspection. Sandor will have discarded the Hound persona because he found he was lying to himself and being a “fraud”. So, with essential personality intact, healed up and seeing that the persona he built as the Hound was a creation inspired by Gregor, he will make his comeback as Sandor Clegane. He’s one of GRRM’s quarterbacks. His slowly building storyline marks him as the effective champion of both Arya and Sansa. What with the helm, the rumours, Strongboar, Randyll Tarly and Walder Frey looking for him, there are plenty of possibilities for Sandor Clegane’s character. I doubt that he will be languishing in ‘peace’ on the Quiet Isle. Jaime is set to learn the truth of the helm and of the Hound’s death in TWoW.

Sandor’s made a mini-tour of the Riverlands via R'hllor, Arya and the Seven. George likes bait-and-switch. Sandor has more to do. There are hints in the Elder Brother’s comments to Brienne that he will search for service, find joy in victory, love and glory.

Also Sandor lays it out plainly, and I personally believe what he says, even when he himself is just making a joke or a threat or layering on his protective shell and doesn’t realize he’s speaking the truth.

Most POVs and second-tier characters in the novels have some connection to Sandor Clegane. The main POVs that do not are Daenerys, Jon Snow and Davos Seaworth. And I suspect that the Hound himself foreshadowed his future in GoT:

Most of them, they think it was some battle. A siege, a burning tower, an enemy with a torch. One fool asked if it was dragonsbreath.

We’ve seen the siege and there was fire. We’ve seen the torch and it was a fiery sword. I have no doubt the burning tower and dragonsbreath will figure in the rest of Sandor Clegane’s story.

I too would like Clegane return. Perhaps he could head North, I hear there's a Night Watch Commander that could really use a sworn sword and body guard, plus plenty of battles coming up and Clegane is a skilled warrior. There are tower's that could burn and dragons? Hmmmm!

Enjoyed your thoughtful post Karmarni!

Yes, I would like to see Sandor get his shit together and then come off the Quiet Isle and show some bad assness.

I love the people that say something like "staying on the Quiet Island would be the best for Sandor cause he would find peace there". Hmm. Well, if staying on the Quiet Isle forever is so great, then why don't more people wish that their favorite character go to the Quiet Isle and stay there forever as well?

Archived