Dunk and Egg

I just read The Princess and the Queen. I was going to wait until the Dunk and Egg stories were published together, but from what I have heard it is still going to be a while.....are the other stories in the anthologies any good?

I would say most of them are very good! It will depend on your taste as to which of them you like or don't like, some of them might get you into a new series (Shannra, Pern, Wheel of Time, Alvin Maker, American God's, etc) or some of the other authors but that's a good thing!

Read all three Dunk and Egg since tuesday and read the Princess and the Queen today in 3-4 hours. Icant wait for the next Dunk and Egg, and really want the World Book in the hopes that the Dance is fleshed out more, as imo the events of the Dance are more chilling, epic and notorious than those of the main series

the riots especially I loved reading, closely followed by the Battle of Tumbleton (number 2) and Blood and Cheese (I felt sickened but it was brilliant as a story) Pretty much the entire series of events was a case of "oh, just one more page..."

Favourite Dunk and Egg? Hedge Knight i think, although the Mystery Knight has some hilarious innuendos/double entendres

So I've read all 5 ASOIAF books and am currently re-reading the series. My question is do people here recommend the Tales of Dunk & Egg novellas? I see a lot of talk about them in the forum so I assume many people would. Could you guys maybe give me an idea of why they are worth reading. Are characters similarly grey as they are in ASOIAF? Are there interesting political struggles? Epic battles? Any information would be of help.

Just read Dunk and Egg for the first time. They are very different but I would say that they are still enjoyable. What you end up with is more of a bubble gum storytelling because he doesn't have room or the ability in such a short novela to build as much into the world and as much in intrigue between characters... however the interesting thing about it is that it builds the world. I think that GRRM uses the novellas or the other things such as TPTQ to hint at the dominos of history and even some things that might happen in the actual a Song of Ice and Fire series. In addition, you get characters like Blood Raven who is a character in the actual series and you get characters like Dunk and Egg who impacted much of the world. In the end you have a very interesting backstory... even though it's not quite of the same nature.

I would say that the Dunk and Egg characters are less grey, with some interesting exceptions e.g Maekar, but extremely entertaining to read about. Duncan the Tall is extremely likable. In fact, if you read everything that's available and didn't like Ser Duncan, I'd probably suspect you of criminal behavior. Dunk is awesome, Egg is too, and then there is the Tower of Badassery that is Baelor Breakspear. If nothing else, read the novellas for Baelor.

:agree: You'll be pleased to know Baelor recently won the forum elimination game for biggest badass. I'd read a whole series just about him. Honestly, I'd read a whole series of him on the most boring day of his life, just reading a book and eating lemoncakes. That's how much I love Baelor Breakspear. Egg should be in it too though because I think he's adorable. I'd say Dunk, but his presence is bad luck for Bae Bae...

• 3 weeks later...

I just read THK and TSS graphic novels this weekend - good stuff. I suspect they are pretty faithful adaptations, so is there any need to read the novellas? Am I missing anything, aside from GRRM's physical descriptions of people and places? (Like others, I was planning to wait until the D&E series is released as one book to read the novella versions.)

I just read THK and TSS graphic novels this weekend - good stuff. I suspect they are pretty faithful adaptations, so is there any need to read the novellas? Am I missing anything, aside from GRRM's physical descriptions of people and places? (Like others, I was planning to wait until the D&E series is released as one book to read the novella versions.)

The graphic novel probably leaves out lots of descriptions/thoughts that you could overanalyze if you like to do that sort of thing. Haven't read it myself so can't say for sure specifically what it leaves out.

You may have a long wait for all of them, THK and SS don't really have anything that you would miss in the graphic novels, the Mystery Knight isn't even out in graphical format yet but it's the only one so far that has a really big reveal, we'll just have to wait for them to publish it. Otherwise welcome to the club! :)

The third one was really good but the first two were kind of slower pace.. The Princess and the Queen on the other hand I could not put down. It was incredible

I'd love a graphic novel for that one, especially with all the dragons. :)

Well, I'm not really a screenwriter or anything, but I feel that D&E novellas would make great, great movies. Though the problem would be with the second one. It would disappoint a lot of people.

The Sworn Sword is definitely my favorite of the three, but it's different from most ASoIaF stuff.

It has a lighter tone. Main characters are hardly gray. Dunk is a simple man living simpler times. He's a Hedge Knight in a peaceful time (so far), so his battles are not really 'epic', they have a smaller scale. Though he does get involved in important business eventually.

But... they're great. I love the novellas.

I would just add that while the Dunk and Egg live in "peaceful" times, it's all relative. The great thing about these stories is that they show how even under stable consolidation years of Targaryen rule, the Seven Kingdoms were filled with unrest, conspiracies, small-scale feudal wars -- and that seemingly ordinary disagreements could turn deadly very quickly, sometimes with major political consequences.

In a sense you could say they're even darker than the main series (or tPatQ). If GRRM is writing a gritty, ruthless version of epic fantasy in the main books, well, the Dunk and Egg novels are a reminder that even in good times, without a full-on war, chivalry could be scarce (though not entirely absent) and Westeros was a terrible place to live.

I've only read The Hedge Knight, so out of curiosity, which of the three is you guys' favourite?

Hedge Knight or Mystery Knight, leaning towards the latter. Imo they get a bit darker in this one, but that might just be me. And its even better because it includes:

Plummraven. And a name you will no doubt love, the Kinght of Pussywillows...

Hedge Knight or Mystery Knight, leaning towards the latter. Imo they get a bit darker in this one, but that might just be me. And its even better because it includes:

Plummraven. And a name you will no doubt love, the Kinght of Pussywillows...

Not to mention: MK Spoiler

The snivelling snot-nosed future lord of the Crossing, the first time I read through that I pictured a toddler sized Filch and almost got sick from laughing so hard. :D

I just read The Princess and the Queen. I was going to wait until the Dunk and Egg stories were published together, but from what I have heard it is still going to be a while.....are the other stories in the anthologies any good?

Legends is one of the best anthologies I've ever read!

Archived