Were Reek ad Ramsay the same person?

Ko Rakharo

So I've just finished aCoK and I still don't have aSoS, so it's guessing and discussing time for me...

The only two things that have confused me at the end of the book were whether Reek and the Bastard of Bolton are the same person, and what Theon thought he'd done to the Stark heirs (matter for another post):

They are: Hornwood's letters were all made up, and the Bastard's use of "Reek" as an alias made people think he was just a henchman - how did Ser Rodrik think Ramsay was dead and take "Reek" as a prisoner to Winterfell before Theon's invasion?

They are not: how did Reek gather such an army to overthrow Rodrik's? I might have missed something there.

Reek and Ramsay were separate men and inseparable companions. Ramsay found out that he was being hunted for his crimes against Hornwood, so he cunningly got Reek to swap clothes with him. Reek-disguised-as-Ramsay was captured and executed, and because they didn't realise it was a disguise, the word was that Ramsay was dead. Ramsay-disguised-as-Reek was captured and brought to the dungeons, kept alive by the Starks because he might be a source of useful information. "Reek" befriends Theon and eventually rides to the Dreadfort, his home, where he is of course recognised and brings his army with him, now dressed as Ramsay again.

Archived