Lysa or Catelyn

Tywin Manderly

Then she should have taken it out on Ned or grabbed a sword and hacked at a tree. Bullying an innocent kid who was forced to live under her roof was reprehensible no matter what decisions Ned made. (Ned's an asshole too, I'm not letting him off the hook.)

Oh my sween summer Red Raven, prepare yourself for the hordes of Cat's lovers...

Then she should have taken it out on Ned or grabbed a sword and hacked at a tree. Bullying an innocent kid who was forced to live under her roof was reprehensible no matter what decisions Ned made. Other highborn women have suffered far worse than she ever did, she could have ended up married to someone like Ramsay or Gregor Clegane. She should have kissed the ground and been grateful she got a loving marriage and five decent kids instead of being an asshole to a bastard who was utterly powerless.

(Ned's an asshole too, I'm not letting him off the hook.)

No it was up to Jon Snow to take one for the team and find a family to ward with or live out on his own. After all, Catelyn is one of the most reasonable people in the whole story who has no flaws or can make no mistakes.

Its up to an innocent child to take it up for himself just to satisfy her (not)petty desires.

/sarcasm

I couldn't care less.

I was like you once, then the stalking begun. But just for the records I agree 1000% with you.

No it was up to Jon Snow to take one for the team and find a family to ward with or live out on his own. After all, Catelyn is one of the most reasonable people in the whole story who has no flaws or can make no mistakes.

Its up to an innocent child to take it up for himself just to satisfy her (not)petty desires.

/sarcasm

Jon should had crawl to the turret and committed suicide. It is known. But I can't stop to wonder what would've happened if Ned and Cat had no children and Jon was the only heir.

Could only be Cat. Don't see how anyone could say Lysa other than to argue. Lysa had sex with LF under the guise that she was Cat. She killed her husband for LF.

Cat, f'd up by kidnapping Tyrion but other than that and not treating Jon well she was a good mother and wife.

I was like you once, then the stalking begun. But just for the records I agree 1000% with you.

Jon should had crawl to the turret and committed suicide. It is known. But I can't stop to wonder what would've happened if Ned and Cat had no children and Jon was the only heir.

Jon didn't have much to complain about at Winterfell. Some cold looks, and one rude comment.

Then she should have taken it out on Ned or grabbed a sword and hacked at a tree. Bullying an innocent kid who was forced to live under her roof was reprehensible no matter what decisions Ned made. Other highborn women have suffered far worse than she ever did, she could have ended up married to someone like Ramsay or Gregor Clegane. She should have kissed the ground and been grateful she got a loving marriage and five decent kids instead of being an asshole to a bastard who was utterly powerless.

And Ned Stark should be grateful that Joff showed him 'mercy' and gave him a quick death, right? It can always be worse and Cat owed Jon nothing.

And Ned Stark should be grateful that Joff showed him 'mercy' and gave him a quick death. It can always be worse and Cat owed Jon nothing.

I like both characters quite a lot. But then I'm somewhat of a Tully connoisseur, which is an advanced taste it seems. Give me a Tully over a Stark anytime. Sure they're fucked up, but at least they're interesting.

Don't see how anyone could say Lysa other than to argue.

So serious... I believe the question was who we liked more; how could that not be the crazy, evil one? It is very much possible to like (reading) Lysa more. I think GRRM created a great character in Lysa - silly fat woman - Tully.

Other highborn women have suffered far worse than she ever did, she could have ended up married to someone like Ramsay or Gregor Clegane. She should have kissed the ground and been grateful she got a loving marriage and five decent kids instead of being an asshole to a bastard who was utterly powerless.

Funny, how all that is true for Jon Snow in how we see him treated better then even some trueborn children (Sam, Tyrion, Theon, etc) by their actual parents and that doesn't even include the normal treatment of bastards. Yet, despite that Jon is stuck up bully who likes to complain about his lot in life.

Additionally, being cold and distant (and saying something nasty once while in grief) is hardly asshole behavior.

• 3 months later...

I like these threads... It gives some people a rare opportunity to ad nauseum repeat how Cat bullied and abused Jon, which of course author denied, then argue non-existent emotional abuse which again, you would expect to leave some emotional scarring on Jon, but his storyarc denied even that. And then, when all the nonsense is exhausted, we speak about "Cat lovers" and "stalkers"... Well, IMHO, that is all :bs:

All and all, I choose Cat. Like this was ever a choice... Next edition Davos vs Ramsay? ;)

Which one I'd rather read about, well I'm sure Lysa's POV would be more...interesting than Cat's, but that's only because she's a bit kooky. That said, I'd choose Cat. I don't particularly like the way Cat treated Jon, but I understand why she feels that way. She's honorable, and is devoted to her family, and I admire her very much for that. So yeah...Cat > Lysa.

Definately Cat. I feel sorry for Lysa but what she did to Jon Arryn was just wrong. I doubt Jon ever mistreated her. Lysa used her husband's influence to get her boyfriend a job and a living, when she was done with her husband she killed him off went to live in luxurious and very secure Eyrie and then had the audacity to marry her boyfriend and chill with him in Jon's lands... In life and death she and Lf mooched of Jon Arryn.

Jon didn't have much to complain about at Winterfell. Some cold looks, and one rude comment.

I agree that Jon wasn't as abused by Catelyn as some insinuate, but I think her comment was beyond rude. "It should have been you," is a cruel thing to say, and she tried to deny Jon saying goodbye to his (admittedly unconscious) little brother. But I also think that her stress and grief for Bran was a mitigating factor in that.

Yes, Cat was cold to Jon, and she hated him for what he represented (Ned's infidelity). But I highly doubt Ned would have let her get away with more than the cold shoulder type treatment. She's guilty of prejudice (she doesn't have a good opinion of bastards in general, if you remember her thoughts when she met Mya Stone), and the occasional ill-judgement. Nothing more.

Lysa on the other hand has been driven more than a little unhinged by the abortion and series of miscarriages that followed. Her devotion to SweetRobin is understandable in that context -- only surviving child who is sickly. Who can blame her for wanting to keep him under her protection and being suspicious of attempts to have him fostered out?

That said, her actions with Littlefinger are reprehensible. I have to wonder, though, whether she had been manipulated by him. She's definitely unhinged, is stuck in an unhappy marriage (at least for her, we don't know how Jon Arryn felt), and harbored long-standing feelings for Littlefinger. Sounds to me like perfect fodder for manipulation.

Archived