Faceless Man Iron Coin

Balerion747

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stark-Lannister-Faceless-Man-Game-of-Thrones-Coins-Licensed-by-George-R-R-Martin-/400490570571?pt=UK_Collectables_SciFi_fantasyCollectables_EH&var=&hash=item5d3f19234b

I was looking at buying a Faceless Man coin within the UK.

Is this one of the coins made by Shire Post?

And if not, could someone direct me to a seller in the UK.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

By the way... we are rapidly running out of the 8th pressing of the iron coin and currently punching blanks and preparing new dies for the 9th pressing. The new dies have some minor differences... just enough that if you know where to look (the buttons below the cowl on obverse) you will be able to tell the difference. This one will feature a new style of packaging where the coin will fit into a punched hole in a stiff collector-card, with some awesome art tying the coin to the image. Also, we are preparing to do a limited run in 1/4 troy ounce (8 grams) of pure silver... this will be a first for the Faceless Man! Hoping to have the first of them ready by JordanCon in April.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad to hear that the Iron Coins are doing well. Looking forward to seeing the 9th pressing. In regards to the silver coin, will you have any set aside for completists like myself who cannot attend the JordanCon? Also, I was curious how limited they will be and if you have an idea of the price. I have three collections that need maintaining.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The quick guide: Die #1 has NO buttons below the cowl on the face side, (1st thru 5th pressings)

Die #2 has TWO buttons below the cowl, (6th to 8th pressings)

Die #3 has THREE buttons below the cowl (9th pressing)

The Faceless Man coin has been restruck a number of times since the first pressing in 2010. I try to keep track of the pressing details for the benefit of collectors that enjoy that level of information. The first set of dies... Die#1 was entirely hand engraved in steel by Greg Franck-Weiby, who passed away in 2011. Greg cut many coining dies, but this is the only one that has "gone viral" and become popular outside the circle of fantasy coin collecting and Game of Thrones merchandise. Die 1, which was used from the first through the fifth pressings, was characterized by having NO buttons below the cowl, and by a spelling error on reverse, leaving out the silent "h" in the word "Morghulis". A set of transfer hubs was prepared by cold-hobbing from the masters, and Die#2 was created from the hubs. On the obverse side the two buttons signifying die #2 were added to the design. On reverse, the entire inscription ring was removed and replaced with one designed and engraved by Joe Paonessa. A second reverse-side hub is prepared from that. Die #2 was used for over 10,000 strikes, in the 6th, 7th, and 8th pressings. Becoming concerned over the longevity of the working die set, I went ahead and made die#3 from the original obverse master and the second generation reverse. The three dots under the cowl were added on obverse, and a pattern of three dots added at top on reverse. Die #3 was used for the entire FM9 pressing.

Archived