Small Questions v 10022

Stubby

During the wedding of Alys Karstark with Sigorn, Jon noticed this:

Septon Chayle had emerged briefly from the sept, fingering the seven-sided crystal on the thong about his neck, only to retreat inside again once the prayers began.

This is an error right? Because Septon Chayle was the septon in Winterfell and killed by the ironborn (officially). It should be Septon Cellador of CB (the drunk septon).

Nice catch, every other instance of "septon" in Jon's DwD chapters is Cellador. Wow, I'm surprised we haven't had a crackpot about this yet. :)

But RR was years later. I like RT's first answer best but this is a weak point in the tale.

Brandon's company may have included men who were very young. They had squires. Maybe Rickard's company of 200 had squires as well.

Besides, the rebellion begun when Aerys demanded the heads of Robert and Ned and they have considered themselves boys then, living as wards under Jon Arryn until the rebellion.

Brandon's company may have included men who were very young. They had squires. Maybe Rickard's company of 200 had squires as well.

Besides, the rebellion begun when Aerys demanded the heads of Robert and Ned and they have considered themselves boys then, living as wards under Jon Arryn until the rebellion.

The squires could fit. But The Ned and Robert were 18.

This may be more of a thread starter question but on the off chance its been discussed before...

(Hypothetical question btw) If Robb had carried out his plan, and his will had legitimised Jon (by this I mean been carried to the Wall) and the LC had agreed to the terms (100 men to release Jon from his vows iirc) would this have broken Nights Watch neutrality? I ask because it seems like it strengthens Robb's position and gives him something he sorely needs for his cause. i.e. an heir.

Is there a simple answer or should I start a thread?

This may be more of a thread starter question but on the off chance its been discussed before...

(Hypothetical question btw) If Robb had carried out his plan, and his will had legitimised Jon (by this I mean been carried to the Wall) and the LC had agreed to the terms (100 men to release Jon from his vows iirc) would this have broken Nights Watch neutrality? I ask because it seems like it strengthens Robb's position and gives him something he sorely needs for his cause. i.e. an heir.

Probably warrants it's own thread. I'd say no they haven't broken neutrality, provided they would do the same if the Iron Throne asked for a similar deal. They would have broken something though. It would undermine their vows somewhat, to have a member essentially buy their freedom.

I don't think this has a simple answer, so by all means, start a thread about it :) It'll be an interesting read.

I guess it would totally depend on the team. The Lannisters would definitly see it as breaking neutrality. And it would be highly controversial, since Jon had sworn vows, and they suddenly don't count anymore. I guess it could mean the end of the NW, even though at the time itself, it might seem like a good idea (NW gaining 100 men by giving up 1).

Should it become a rule, though, and should the NW accept the same deals done by oppositing sides of the war, than it'll become a complete different story, of course.

Why ser instead of sir?

Best explanation I've read:

Almost immediately a reader is confronted with the term, "Ser," and easily recognizes this as an equivalent of the familiar "Sir." Common names are similarly manipulated ("Eddard"=Edward, the double-d'd "Robb", etc.), and certain critical terms are altered altogether with invented cognates ("sept"=church). The result is something of a "slanted rhyme" effect whereby Martin's world sounds and feels "medieval" yet stays safely sequestered from Earthly history.

To me, there's more than a superficial "fiddling-with-spelling-to-make-it-different" going on here. For example, by simply changing the spelling of "Sir" to "Ser," Martin slants this honorific title in such a way as to decouple it, so to speak, from associations he wants to avoid -- readers see "Ser" and understand "knighthood" and "feudalism," but leave behind the unwanted King Arthur-ish baggage that the s-i-r spelling brings with it.

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/958839-septs-and-sers-do-martin-s-slanted-spellings-work-or-are-they

How many people know Arya is still alive and/or at Braavos?

Just her, and the Faceless Men. The Hound told the Elder Brother she was still alive, but he assumes she was killed at Saltpans. Samwell ran into her but had no idea.

Archived