Small Questions v 10022

Stubby

Howdy all,

This is my first post and I am a huge fan. I apologize in advance if this has been answered already.

Why did varys send an assasin to kill Dany?

I realize he was ordered too, but wasn't his goal to reinstate Targaryans?

Viserys is dead at this point. My only thoughts are he knew jorah would react the way he did or his actual plan was around aegon.

Howdy all,

This is my first post and I am a huge fan. I apologize in advance if this has been answered already.

Viserys is dead at this point. My only thoughts are he knew jorah would react the way he did or his actual plan was around aegon.

The way Jorah reacts suggests to me at least that Varys or lllyrio had sent a warning in yhe letter. So they had carried out Roberts orders but safeguarded Dany too (the initial plan relied on the Dothraki remember, who were to join with the GC)

The way Jorah reacts suggests to me at least that Varys or lllyrio had sent a warning in yhe letter. So they had carried out Roberts orders but safeguarded Dany too (the initial plan relied on the Dothraki remember, who were to join with the GC)

:agree:

It would infuriate Drogo into attacking the Seven Kingdoms, even without Viserys. (though of course, in KL, they hadn't heard about Viserys' death yet, Joffrey only mentions having heard about it in aCoK, and it's news to him).

Howdy all,

Varys was following orders but he alerted Illyrio who alerted Jorah. Some believe he wanted to trigger Drogo into action. Are you sure Varys is working to restore the Targaryens? Welcome.

:agree:

It would infuriate Drogo into attacking the Seven Kingdoms, even without Viserys. (though of course, in KL, they hadn't heard about Viserys' death yet, Joffrey only mentions having heard about it in aCoK, and it's news to him).

you are right, the message arrives in the chapter aftwr Viserys is crowned. i dont think there was any possible way they could have known Viserys was dead at that point.

Jon's nameday is never mentioned in Clash, and a quick search has turned up.no results for his age. I may not have searched using the riggt words though, it could be phrased almost any way

Did LF have Lysa poison Jon Arryn because Jon was finding out about the Lannister children being bastards? I know that him being poisoned for that reason was what we had been assuming for a while, but I forget if it actually came out after AFFC that he had some ulterior motive (other than starting the war/sowing dissension)? Was it just because he wanted the Lannister children's paternity to be his own secret weapon?

(Sick in bed with a fever for two days-- sorry if this wording doesn't make sense!)

Is Jon's nameday mentioned in aCoK? Or his age in some chapters? I can't find it.

Jon Snow? He's about the same age as Robb. A little younger. Robb was conceived right before Ned left to fight the Rebellion, I think, and we know Jon was born during the Rebellion.

Did LF have Lysa poison Jon Arryn because Jon was finding out about the Lannister children being bastards? I know that him being poisoned for that reason was what we had been assuming for a while, but I forget if it actually came out after AFFC that he had some ulterior motive (other than starting the war/sowing dissension)? Was it just because he wanted the Lannister children's paternity to be his own secret weapon?

It's always hard to be sure with him, but my understanding is that he did not want the royal's children paternity to be known yet. With Jon Arryn as Hand, the problem would have likely be solved fairly easily - the Lannisters would have been punished, Bob would have taken a new Queen, end of the story. No chaos there, so no opportunity in it for Littlefinger.

Killing Jon Arryn first and having Lysa send the letter to Cat was sure to stir some shit up though.

I also think he knew a marriage to Lysa would be possible eventually - Tyrion even thinks that's the only reason he wanted Harrenhal in the first place. But he had to get rid of her husband first.

So, yes, I would say that he chose to have Jon Arryn poisoned at that very moment to keep the twincest secret a little longer.

Jon Snow? He's about the same age as Robb. A little younger. Robb was conceived right before Ned left to fight the Rebellion, I think, and we know Jon was born during the Rebellion.

You make it sound as if Robb was conceived before the Robellion. But he was conceived after the Battle of the Bells, ca. 5 months into the Robellion.

Jon Snow was born at around the time of the Sack of Kings Landing or a little later maybe, at what was seen as the end of the Robellion.

It's always hard to be sure with him, but my understanding is that he did not want the royal's children paternity to be known yet. With Jon Arryn as Hand, the problem would have likely be solved fairly easily - the Lannisters would have been punished, Bob would have taken a new Queen, end of the story. No chaos there, so no opportunity in it for Littlefinger.

Killing Jon Arryn first and having Lysa send the letter to Cat was sure to stir some shit up though.

I also think he knew a marriage to Lysa would be possible eventually - Tyrion even thinks that's the only reason he wanted Harrenhal in the first place. But he had to get rid of her husband first.

So, yes, I would say that he chose to have Jon Arryn poisoned at that very moment to keep the twincest secret a little longer.

No I think he took advantage of Jon's intention to foster Robert at Dragonstone. I'm pretty sure Stannis learned about the twincest from Littlefinger.

(Sick in bed with a fever for two days-- sorry if this wording doesn't make sense!)

Littlefinger lifted an eyebrow. “Shocking,” he said in a tone that suggested he was not shocked at all. AGoT p. 511

“Now look at the other side of the coin. Joffrey is but twelve, and Robert gave you the regency, my lord. You are the Hand of the King and Protector of the Realm. The power is yours, Lord Stark. ..." AGoT p. 512

These indicate to me that LF knew and had a plan in the works. With Ned as Hand/PotR, LF would stay as Master of Coin, if Stannis took over, LF would be out.

This is probably in here somewhere already, do the Boltons have an (outright or inferred) agreement with the Lannisters? It has been a while since I read everything though I think I remember some comments by the Small Council about Bolton but I'm not sure on the context.

Yes. The Freys and the Boltons received benefits from the crown after the RW.

This is probably in here somewhere already, do the Boltons have an (outright or inferred) agreement with the Lannisters? It has been a while since I read everything though I think I remember some comments by the Small Council about Bolton but I'm not sure on the context.

Yes. The Freys and the Boltons received benefits from the crown after the RW.

This conversation is between Tyrion and Tywin:

But not in you, Father. There is no blood in Tywin Lannister. “Was it a soft silk pillow that

slew Robb Stark?”

“It was to be an arrow, at Edmure Tully’s wedding feast. The boy was too wary in the field. He

kept his men in good order, and surrounded himself with outriders and bodyguards.”

“So Lord Walder slew him under his own roof, at his own table?” Tyrion made a fist. “What of

Lady Catelyn?”

“Slain as well, I’d say. A pair of wolfskins. Frey had intended to keep her captive, but perhaps

something went awry.”

“So much for guest right.”

“The blood is on Walder Frey’s hands, not mine.”

“Walder Frey is a peevish old man who lives to fondle his young wife and brood over all the

slights he’s suffered. I have no doubt he hatched this ugly chicken, but he would never have

dared such a thing without a promise of protection.”

“I suppose you would have spared the boy and told Lord Frey you had no need of his

allegiance? That would have driven the old fool right back into Stark’s arms and won you

another year of war. Explain to me why it is more noble to kill ten thousand men in battle than a

dozen at dinner.” When Tyrion had no reply to that, his father continued. “The price was cheap

by any measure. The crown shall grant Riverrun to Ser Emmon Frey once the Blackfish yields.

Lancel and Daven must marry Frey girls, Joy is to wed one of Lord Walder’s natural sons when

she’s old enough, and Roose Bolton becomes Warden of the North and takes home Arya Stark.”

“Arya Stark?” Tyrion cocked his head. “And Bolton? I might have known Frey would not have

the stomach to act alone. But Arya... Varys and Ser Jacelyn searched for her for more than half a

year. Arya Stark is surely dead.”

I was rereading A Game of Thrones trying to keep an eye out for anything I missed on the first read when I noticed this discrepancy.

"It will be good to see the children. The youngest was still sucking at the Lannister woman's teat the last time I saw him. He must be, what, five by now?"

"Prince Tommen is seven," she told him. "The same age as Bran. ..." AGoT p. 24

"Ned had last seen the king nine years before during Balon Greyjoy's Rebellion, ..." AGoT p. 37

I find it very odd that Ned would have traveled all the way south to see Cersei and Tommen seven years ago without taking the opportunity to see Robert as well.

Archived