Small Questions v 10022

Stubby

Lysa and Jon lived in KL for all the years of their marriage (SR had never seen the Eyrie until they fled there after Jon's death) Iirc, it is stated that Lysa never returned to RR after her marriage to Jon. So it would seem if Cat saw SR it was at KL (I suppose we can't rule out WF completely, it seems unlikely though)

Eta- Lord Egeman I concur that Robert was elsewhere. Hunting seems a stretch, but absent certainly ;)

Thanks @Lady Gwynhyfvar and @Lord Egeman

Do we know what it means when an ironborn thrall is given to the drowned god to be born free?

What does it mean exactly?

From Aeron's first POV, it sounds as though the Thrall is drowned by one of the Priests (in this chapter it is Aeron) and when they are dead, the Priest performs CPR (although they dont call it this) until the thrall coughs up the water and breathes again. Aeron thinks about other Drowned Men (priests) who lose a thrall from time to time but he has never lost one yet

ETA: oh, and once they are "reborn" (i.e. breathing again) they become one of the priests i believe

This might not be a small question but there is no thread for medium-sized questions so... Why did Lysa (Petyr) take such care to conceal the message that Cersei had killed Jon when she apparently had already accused her, at least somewhat openly in King's Landing?

"His wife is Lady Arryn's sister. It's a wonder Lysa was not here to greet us with her accusations." Cersei to Jaime in Bran II, Game

But she did not present her accusations to Robert, as Jaime noted. So to whom did Lysa make her accusations? Did Cersei know that Lysa told Catelyn?

This might not be a small question but there is no thread for medium-sized questions so... Why did Lysa (Petyr) take such care to conceal the message that Cersei had killed Jon when she apparently had already accused her, at least somewhat openly in King's Landing?

Because that would have been high treason, as Catelyn points out to us.

It will have been forgiven if she had said it before a small audience and crying in grief.

Maybe the information was gathered and delivered through Varys' network and no one who would possibly betray Lysa was supposed to have heard the spoken accusation?

I understood Jon Arryn died after King and Queen were on their way to Winterfell, so that'd be the way to learn about it.

ETA: italic part above.

"His wife is Lady Arryn's sister. It's a wonder Lysa was not here to greet us with her accusations." Cersei to Jaime in Bran II, Game

But she did not present her accusations to Robert, as Jaime noted. So to whom did Lysa make her accusations? Did Cersei know that Lysa told Catelyn?

Perhaps Lysa and Cersei's relationship wasn't a good one? I can totally see that, the perhaps might be a bit unnecessary.

It was Cersei's father who had offered to foster Sweetrobin, and Lysa did not take kindly to that. Jon Arryn's death, to people who thought about it, could have been viewed as suspicious. Also, Pyelle had been involved in Jon Arryn's death, and Pycelle was Cersei's man.

So I don't think that Lysa openly made accusations, or that Cersei knows that Lysa told Catelyn. Had Cersei known about that, she would most likely have acted on it by setting someone else up.

It will have been forgiven if she had said it before a small audience and crying in grief.

Maybe the information was gathered and delivered through Varys' network and no one who would possibly betray Lysa was supposed to have heard the spoken accusation?

I understood Jon Arryn died after King and Queen were on their way to Winterfell, so that'd be the way to learn about it.

Robert went to Winterfell because of Jon Arryn's death.

Cersei and the three children were travelling to Casterly Rock when Jon Arryn died. Upon their return, the royal party went to Winterfell, to ask Ned to fill the position Jon had had before he died.

I dont think Jon died while they were on their way to Winterfell as the very purpose of the visit was to appoint Ned as Hand of the King

eta: forgot this quote:

Robert went to Winterfell because of Jon Arryn's death.

Cersei and the three children were travelling to Casterly Rock when Jon Arryn died. Upon their return, the royal party went to Winterfell, to ask Ned to fill the position Jon had had before he died.

and

I dont think Jon died while they were on their way to Winterfell as the very purpose of the visit was to appoint Ned as Hand of the King

Yes, you are right. Strangest mistake of mine.

And here's a corollary... Did Petyr want to set Robert against Lannister?

"If she knew anything, she would have gone to Robert before she fled King's Landing."

"When he had already agreed to foster that weakling son of h@ers at Casterly Rock? I think not. She knew the boy's life would be hostage to her silence. She may grow bolder now that he's safe atop the Eyrie."

Did Varys catch wind of this and foil Peter's plot by telling Cersei that Lysa suspected her?

And here's a corollary... Did Petyr want to set Robert against Lannister?

"If she knew anything, she would have gone to Robert before she fled King's Landing."

"When he had already agreed to foster that weakling son of h@ers at Casterly Rock? I think not. She knew the boy's life would be hostage to her silence. She may grow bolder now that he's safe atop the Eyrie."

Did Varys catch wind of this and foil Peter's plot by telling Cersei that Lysa suspected her?

Could be that Varys told Lysa that Robert had decided that Sweetrobin would be fostered at Casterly Rock. But perhaps not to foil LF's plans (I'm still not sure that Varys knows about it, otherwise, I think he would have hinted to Lysa when Ned asked him who had poisoned Jon Arryn; instead, Varys pointed at Jon's squire Ser Hugh). I think it was more to keep the Lannisters from gaining more power, since he needed to make KL ready to become unstable, political wise.

@R_T: If Tywin had been maneuvering to have the heir to the Vale fostered at Casterly Rock and Jon seemed prepared to send his son to Dragonstone perhaps Petyr acted at that moment to protect his scheme to become Protector of the Vale?

Do any of Varys's disguises involve a wig?

I don't think so. I can only think of two disguises, Rugen the goaler and the time he takes Tyrion through the tunnel from Chatalya's. Both times he wears a spiked cap.

Doesn't Tyrion mistake him for Lollys though? Would that not require a wig?

Yep. In aSoS, Tyrion's chapter 12.

“Varys?” Tyrion slipped inside. “Are you there?” A single candle lit the gloom, spicing the air with the scent of jasmine.

“My lord.” A woman sidled into the light; plump, soft, matronly, with a round pink moon of a face and heavy dark curls. Tyrion recoiled. “Is something amiss?” she asked.

Varys, he realized with annoyance. “For one horrid moment I thought you’d brought me Lollys instead of Shae. Where is she?”

Re Varys's hair, thanks! I have long assumed that Illyrio, not Varys, is the Blackfyre heir. I reasoned that Varys did not shave his head like Egg to hide a prominent Targaryen feature despite Catelyn's observation when he first appears in Game that his head was as bald as an egg , and that his baldness was due to being a eunuch. But a brilliant commenter pointed out in another thread that eunuchs don't go bald. They don't grow hair in other places but they retain their hair. I was just about to rethink everything when another brilliant commenter noted that when the waif shaved Arya's head, she called it a mummer's cut. So does Varys shave his head to hide a prominent Targaryen feature or to facilitate disguise?

Re Varys's hair, thanks! I have long assumed that Illyrio, not Varys, is the Blackfyre heir. I reasoned that Varys did not shave his head like Egg to hide a prominent Targaryen feature despite Catelyn's observation when he first appears in Game that his head was as bald as an egg , and that his baldness was due to being a eunuch. But a brilliant commenter pointed out in another thread that eunuchs don't go bald. They don't grow hair in other places but they retain their hair. I was just about to rethink everything when another brilliant commenter noted that when the waif shaved Arya's head, she called it a mummer's cut. So does Varys shave his head to hide a prominent Targaryen feature or to facilitate disguise?

Interesting :-) I think it is to facilitate disguise but your other idea is equally plausible...although its not really a question :p

Archived