Small Questions v 10022

Stubby

Speaking of Varys' hairs, from aGoT Eddard XV :

The voice was strangely familiar, yet it took Ned Stark a moment to place it. "Varys?" he said groggily when it came. He touched the man's face. "I'm not... not dreaming this. You're here." The eunuch's plump cheeks were covered with a dark stubble of beard. Ned felt the coarse hair with his fingers. Varys had transformed himself into a grizzled turnkey, reeking of sweat and sour wine. "How did you... what sort of magician are you?"

I first assumed Varys used a postiche, but wouldn't Ned have noticed it ? Could Varys have been using some kind of glamour ?

If memory serves, Maester Aemon was supposedly in communication with Rhaegar about prophecies and such. Is there textual evidence/clues/hints that he may have been aware of or suspected Jon's heritage... assuming R+L=J? (I don't recall any)

It would seem to follow that he'd have known Rhaegar's intentions and if that's the case... connecting the dots with Jon may not be so hard. In fact, I'd be mildly disappointed if he didn't suspect a bit... thus my search/request for the clues.

As always, if this isn't such a "small" question or isn't really the point of this thread... feel free to cast me back out into the ocean of threads to peruse in other places...

Speaking of Varys' hairs, from aGoT Eddard XV :

I first assumed Varys used a postiche, but wouldn't Ned have noticed it ? Could Varys have been using some kind of glamour ?

This cries for the answer "A faceless man" that no Faceless Man would ever give. I am not crazy enough to believe that, but "A mummer" would go quite well.

@R_T: If Tywin had been maneuvering to have the heir to the Vale fostered at Casterly Rock and Jon seemed prepared to send his son to Dragonstone perhaps Petyr acted at that moment to protect his scheme to become Protector of the Vale?

Could be. But there could be another possibility. It was Robert who had convinced Tywin to foster Sweetrobin. Who put the idea in his head? I'm not sure if that's in the books.

An interesting thing is that it appears that Robert made the decision after Jon's death. It's quite possible that LF first convinced Lysa to poison Jon, using the "Jon wants your son fostered at Dragonstone" argument, and then scared her away by either letting her know that Robert wanted to foster the boy at Tywins, or by planting the idea in Robert's head, and letting her hear about it from Robert himself.

I have the feeling it was Petyrs plan all along, and that no acting at the last moment was involved. Had Lysa remained at KL, she might have let something slip, and that would be dangerous for LF. But with Lysa at the Eyrie, scared and all alone, she could not let anything slip to anyone important, and, more importantly, there would be no one to question her about the events.

If memory serves, Maester Aemon was supposedly in communication with Rhaegar about prophecies and such. Is there textual evidence/clues/hints that he may have been aware of or suspected Jon's heritage... assuming R+L=J? (I don't recall any)

The AGoT scene where the raven goes "King, king, king." (raven says: Jon is King) and Mormont fixedly staring at Jon combined with the ASoS scene where Aemon tells Slynt that both Mormont and Aemon saw much promise in Jon.

Aemon doesn't suspect about Jon's heritage, otherwise he would've at least thought about him when he was explaining to Sam that Dany is the PTWP.

That's what I was thinking... but it's mildly strange to me that he wouldn't have pieced some things together and at least suspected it considering he (in my mind) had a good idea of what Rhaegar was up to. Maybe there is more buried in the text. I'm in need of a re-read/listen anyway.

Thanks to both of you.

That's what I was thinking... but it's mildly strange to me that he wouldn't have pieced some things together and at least suspected it considering he (in my mind) had a good idea of what Rhaegar was up to. Maybe there is more buried in the text. I'm in need of a re-read/listen anyway.

Thanks to both of you.

Well, they thought it was Rhaegar, then they thought it was Aegon. Aemon only remarks on the gender thing, which to me shows that if Rhaegar somehow figured out he should have an "ice" wife to fulfill the prophecy, then Aemon doesn't know this. Which makes it harder/impossible for him to connect any more dots.

Does Ned have a clutch of bastards running around the 7 kingdoms?

i.e: the one mentioned as being Edruc Dayne's milk brother is clearly not the same one supposedly born to the fishwife on the Sisters? Are these separate to Jon Snow and are they likely to turn up somewhere along the line?

i.e: the one mentioned as being Edruc Dayne's milk brother is clearly not the same one supposedly born to the fishwife on the Sisters? Are these separate to Jon Snow and are they likely to turn up somewhere along the line?

Nope. Just the one (alleged) bastard-- Jon Snow, who is indeed Edric Dayne's milk brother (all that means is that they were breastfed by the same woman) If the fisherman's daughter had a child it's highly unlikely that Ned is the father and impossible for it to be Jon Snow.

Ned doesn't have any bastards ;)

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/102511-r-l-j-v-69/

How much/many of the MUSH family trees are reliable? Is it just the Targ and Stark trees that have canonical updates from the World book are they both fully or only partially updated?

The Stark tree had major changes made in July by Ran and Linda that were apparently meant to bring it in line with upcoming canon (most likely the change to Cregan being the Lord during the Dance) but as they are also co-authors of the World Book, it seems likely that it is all good information. See this thread for a discussion of the changes and what it means to our understanding of Stark succession.

As for the Targ tree, I assume that has also been brought in line with the huge information dump from TPatQ.

The Stark tree had major changes made in July by Ran and Linda that were apparently meant to bring it in line with upcoming canon (most likely the change to Cregan being the Lord during the Dance) but as they are also co-authors of the World Book, it seems likely that it is all good information. See this thread for a discussion of the changes and what it means to our understanding of Stark succession.

As for the Targ tree, I assume that has also been brought in line with the huge information dump from TPatQ.

Cool, thanks.

Not sure if this should be here, or somewhere else. There is a lot of commotion of Tyrion's alleged blood background. Reading through asos, there is a scene and i wont say which, where i think they say, "there was lust from his green eye, and fury from his black." also, his hair is golden, but they sometimes describe his facial hair as half blonde/half black.

they constantly say his mother was killed during childbirth. could it be it wasnt childbirth that killed her, but maybe someone took one look at tyrion (and possibly his un-lannister features), and attributed that with infidelity, and killed her out of revenge?

they seem to focus on his mismatched eyes and double-colored hair frequently. the black eye.. the "angry" one. especially when george writes of its "fury." wasnt the words "ours is the fury" the baratheon words? coupled with the black/gold hair, and the green (lannister) and black (baratheon) eyes, it kinda raises the question is maybe there was more to that than meets the eye (pardont he disgusting input of pun).

Not sure if this should be here, or somewhere else. There is a lot of commotion of Tyrion's alleged blood background. Reading through asos, there is a scene and i wont say which, where i think they say, "there was lust from his green eye, and fury from his black." also, his hair is golden, but they sometimes describe his facial hair as half blonde/half black.

they constantly say his mother was killed during childbirth. could it be it wasnt childbirth that killed her, but maybe someone took one look at tyrion (and possibly his un-lannister features), and attributed that with infidelity, and killed her out of revenge?

they seem to focus on his mismatched eyes and double-colored hair frequently. the black eye.. the "angry" one. especially when george writes of its "fury." wasnt the words "ours is the fury" the baratheon words? coupled with the black/gold hair, and the green (lannister) and black (baratheon) eyes, it kinda raises the question is maybe there was more to that than meets the eye (pardont he disgusting input of pun).

If Tywin had killed Joanna for infidelity he most certainly would not have let Tyrion live either. The eye thing you mentioned is kind of odd because there is one of Tyrion's dreams where he dreams he has two heads while fighting Jaime. One of the heads is laughing as he is killing him but when he looks at the other head it is sobbing.

Don't forget ttha Tyrion's eyes may allude to the upcoming Dance between the new blacks (Daenerys) & the new greens (Aegon). The lust in Tyrion's green eye may have something to do with Aegon (and here comes Arianne, mmm), while the fury in Tyrion's black eye may have something to do with Daenerys (fire & blood).

"Dragons old and young, true and false, bright and dark. And you. A small man with a big shadow, snarling in the midst of all."

Tyrion seems to be the deuteragonist of ASOIAF.

Hello guys,

first, my first post, forgive me for my English, I'm Brazilian!

second, do not know if it is the correct place for this question, but anyway I'll do here.

The consequence of the death of Rhaenyra in the Civil War was that the Iron Throne has begun tracking an extreme version of custom Andalo, outpacing women all possible male heirs.

I think I've seen an interview with GM saying that this version even includes the bastards. Even they have more rights than women Targaryens. Is this true? Or I misread?

Sorry for my english again!

Hello guys,

first, my first post, forgive me for my English, I'm Brazilian!

second, do not know if it is the correct place for this question, but anyway I'll do here.

The consequence of the death of Rhaenyra in the Civil War was that the Iron Throne has begun tracking an extreme version of custom Andalo, outpacing women all possible male heirs.

I think I've seen an interview with GM saying that this version even includes the bastards. Even they have more rights than women Targaryens. Is this true? Or I misread?

Sorry for my english again!

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking but if it is in regards to The Princess and the Queen try asking HERE :)

Archived