Small Questions v 10022

Stubby

This is all I can find for Mance:

It was Craster who was the Black Brother's bastard:

There may be more in there about Mance's parents but it's way too late for me to keep hunting(and we're verging out of SQ territory). :)

Thanks for the quotes. Jon thought at least three times where the hell Mance was in ADwD after sending him to search Arya. He suspected that Mel is playing a game (he even used the word ploy in one occasion). We know that Mel knows nothing and Mance has his own ploy in his mind.

GRRM heavily hinted this particular ploy of Mance several times. I think that is very important and maybe related to his Craster origins, which are not specified exactly.

This is all I can find for Mance:

It was Craster who was the Black Brother's bastard:

There may be more in there about Mance's parents but it's way too late for me to keep hunting(and we're verging out of SQ territory). :)

That's the description of Craster's background actually. About Mance all we know is that he was wildling born, found as child and raised by the NW. Interesting discussion going on about this here.

eta-- and Mindchap nicely provided the quotes :)

Aaah, thank you. It seems I mixed those two up in my mind. :)

Aaah, thank you. It seems I mixed those two up in my mind. :)

Took me ages to find it but I knew it was there.

From ADWD

“Gerrick is the true and rightful king of the wildlings,” the queen said, “descended in an unbroken male line from their great king Raymun Redbeard, whereas the usurper Mance Rayder was born of some common woman and fathered by one of your black brothers."

Now Selyse might be wrong but Jon does not think she is wrong when she says it so I guess Mance and Craster have similar backgrounds.

Who is older? Jon or Dany?

Did everyone in the Night's watch know Maester Aemon was a targ?

Jon should be older, at least if you believe Rhaegar is his father.

I don't think everyone in the Night's Watch knew about Maester Aemon, since you give up your last name when you join the Maesters. I'm sure some of the more educated ones figured it out, since Aemon is a Targaryen name.

Edit: does Tyrion know who he is, when they meet early in the first book? I can't find any evidence either way.

Who is older? Jon or Dany?

Did everyone in the Night's watch know Maester Aemon was a targ?

According to GRRM, Jon is 8 or 9 months older than Dany.

I doubt everyone in the NW knew about Aemon's family. At first, when he had just arrived, sure. But the later generations, doubtly. Aemon was called Aemon, and nothing else. There are more people with Targaryen names (though the examples that come up in my mind are all Frey's :) ).

Had more people in the NW known about Aemon's family, than Jon would most likely have heard before Aemon told him. Jeor Mormont definitly already knew.

Even in Westeros, such a marriage would be much frowned upon. It would be clear to everybody that Tywin is forcing himself on a barely flowered girl. It would be almost paedophillia, and Tywin doesn't need such a stain on the Lannister name, given that his children are the twincest Queen regent and Kingslayer, and the whoring-drinking devil-monkey.

It would not be unheard of though. Especially with that much power to gain from the marriage.

Marrying Tyrion to Sansa would also conveniently put Tyrion at Winterfell, which would make it impossible for him to become Lore of Casterly Rock, giving Tywin more credit to give the Rock to Tommen, a son of Joffrey, or Jaime, if he had been able to get Jamie's vows released.

He could have still placed Tyrion there to rule in his place as Castilian, or acting lord, like he did when he appointed him hand.

Obviously Sansa not deflowered is important to the story though, so that could be the only reason GRRM didn't do it. Though Tyrion could have killed Tywin on his wedding night to Sansa.

Jon should be older, at least if you believe Rhaegar is his father.

I don't think everyone in the Night's Watch knew about Maester Aemon, since you give up your last name when you join the Maesters. I'm sure some of the more educated ones figured it out, since Aemon is a Targaryen name.

Edit: does Tyrion know who he is, when they meet early in the first book? I can't find any evidence either way.

Tyrion must have known. But it's not like the information was hidden.

Which king's Hand was Ser Ryam Redwyne? I believe the office of Hand was established after the conquest.

It is unknown when Ryam Redwyne lived, but he was Lord Commander of the KG to an unknown King.

Guess there's no way to tell, yet. I also believe the office of Hand of the King came after conquest.

Oryx was Aegon the Conqueror's Hand.

Aegon the Conqueror declared the first Hand of the King: Orys Baratheon.

Septon Barth and Otto Hightower occupied the seat for a century or so.

Septon Barth was Hand of the King to Jaehaerys I, and he held that position for 40 years. Otto Hightower served Jaehaerys I, Viserys I and Aegon II as Hand, though it is unknown whether or not there was a Hand of the King in between Septon Barth and Otto Hightower.

Archived