Small Questions v 10022

Stubby

so desertion is ok as long it is to the north of the wall? Then you can say Mance also "never came back"....

Mance actively deserted by going north of the Wall to live amongst the wildlings. He did not go missing during a ranging. There is a difference. And after he deserted, he took up as against the NW, proving again how he had abandoned his NW vows.

Mance actively deserted by going north of the Wall to live amongst the wildlings. He did not go missing during a ranging. There is a difference. And after he deserted, he took up as against the NW, proving again how he had abandoned his NW vows.

Bryden went to live with the childrenotzeforest, how is that any diffrent from Mance?

so desertion is ok as long it is to the north of the wall? Then you can say Mance also "never came back"....

I did not say that. When you asked if he was a deserter I said "Yes. Though he might not be remembered as such." Meaning if you asked Aemon or checked the scrolls in the basement they might say he died during the last great ranging or something.

Bryden went to live with the childrenotzeforest, how is that any diffrent from Mance?

This:

I did not say that. When you asked if he was a deserter I said "Yes. Though he might not be remembered as such." Meaning if you asked Aemon or checked the scrolls in the basement they might say he died during the last great ranging or something.

Also, we don't know how BR ended up in the cave. You could argue that he's still doing all that he's doing for the NW, though that would be questionable.

What I posted above was in response to your response to RumHam, who was talking about the interpretation. The fact that Mance made no secret of his desertion. Something which BR most likely did, which made it look like he died in the line of duty.

Why are doran/oberyn called princes?

White walkers can only be killed with an Obsidian blade?

It's a Rhoynish custom. The White Walkers can also supposedly be killed with "Dragonsteel" which Sam and Jon take to be another name for Valyrian Steel.

I have a question about currency. Do the gold dragons of Westeros have a higher value than the gold coins from Essos or is gold, gold in any country?

It depends on the weight of the coin. Coins of the same design all have the same weight, so they are equal value. If a coin from another area is gold but a different weight, I'm sure they would adjust the amount of coins to fit the price accordingly. I think I remember someone saying that the Golden Hands from the old kingdom of the Reach are half as light as Dragons and therefore half the value.

The Starks sigil is a grey direwolf on a field of white. In rereading Game of Thrones, just before Eddard is beheaded, he is described as "dressed in a rich grey velvet doublet with a white wolf sewn on the front in beads, and a grey wool cloak trimmed in fur", which I find interesting. Is there anywhere else in the books where the sigil is reversed?

Reversing the house sigil is what some houses' bastard born children did when they were reaching for renown, office or in the case of the Blackfyres even the throne and the building of a house and a dynasty.

I didn't fetch a quote but iirc there's 'the traitor's blood' supposedly running in bastards being said at least once in the books. Later we see Cersei is paying much attention to the design of Sansa's wedding gown. If we go to with the official story that Ned was supposed to be shown the King's mercy and sent to the wall with Yoren, this might have been a smallish slight deliberately orchestrated for the special occasion of Ned Stark declaring his own personal treason.

In the World of Ice and Fire sub-forum i think someone said it was called by a different name and Ran confirmed they were the same. And that a new update was coming too

ETA: it was A Game of Thrones Guide

Yes. I am not in the U.S. so that's it.

edit: tpyo

I have a question about currency. Do the gold dragons of Westeros have a higher value than the gold coins from Essos or is gold, gold in any country?

We don't really know. Saffron is said to be more valuable than gold in Westeros, but that is probably not the case at the Jade Sea.

Why are doran/oberyn called princes?

White walkers can only be killed with an Obsidian blade?

Dragonsteel, which I think is welded dragon fire and rock... it's funny the name of the series (Ice and Fire) and the fact that dragons are the only thing strong enough to kill a whitewalker... What if a WW got to a dragon (half dead dragon) Omfg O.o that would be insane.

Dragonsteel, which I think is welded dragon fire and rock... it's funny the name of the series (Ice and Fire) and the fact that dragons are the only thing strong enough to kill a whitewalker... What if a WW got to a dragon (half dead dragon) Omfg O.o that would be insane.

Why do you think dragons might kill the Others and not the other way round? In fact, we know very little.

Why do you think dragons might kill the Others and not the other way round? In fact, we know very little.

That's the thing we don't know, and because of that I'm crazy excited to read what Mr. Martin will do with this. But I think it would be easier for a dragon because, A) Fire B) Flight and C) FIRE!!! Lol at the same time if a dragon became a walker that would be *BOOM*

"As he saw Robert to his place, he noted that Cersei Lannister had chosen not to appear; the place beside the king was empty. That too gave Ned cause to hope." AGoT p. 301

"Sandor Clegane dropped his visor with an audible clang and took up his position. Ser Jaime tossed a kiss to some woman in the commons, gently lowered his visor, and rode to the end of the lists." AGoT p. 302

I was reading this and immediatly felt suspicious at Jaime tossing a kiss to some random woman in the commons, from my understanding it goes completely against his character for him to even pay attention to any woman except Cersei at this point in time. I noticed that Cersei was oddly missing from the tournament that day, when according to Varys she had planned to have Robert assassinated in the melee. What could Cersei possibly be doing that she considers more important than witnessing her triumph over her hated husband? Cersei had strictly forbidden Robert from entering the melee when he was drunk the evening before. If she were to join her king for the tourney, and not try to dissuade him from the melee it'd seem odd. But of course she does not actually want to dissuade him from his death, thus preventing her from officially attending. We learn in the later books that Cersei has more than once disguised herself as a common maid to seek out Jamie. Is it possible Cersei is in fact the woman in the commons Jaime is tossing a kiss? I realize it is needlessly convoluted while making little different either way, but it is more in keeping with both Jaimes and Cersei characterization as I understand them.

"As he saw Robert to his place, he noted that Cersei Lannister had chosen not to appear; the place beside the king was empty. That too gave Ned cause to hope." AGoT p. 301

"Sandor Clegane dropped his visor with an audible clang and took up his position. Ser Jaime tossed a kiss to some woman in the commons, gently lowered his visor, and rode to the end of the lists." AGoT p. 302

I was reading this and immediatly felt suspicious at Jaime tossing a kiss to some random woman in the commons, from my understanding it goes completely against his character for him to even pay attention to any woman except Cersei at this point in time. I noticed that Cersei was oddly missing from the tournament that day, when according to Varys she had planned to have Robert assassinated in the melee. What could Cersei possibly be doing that she considers more important than witnessing her triumph over her hated husband? Cersei had strictly forbidden Robert from entering the melee when he was drunk the evening before. If she were to join her king for the tourney, and not try to dissuade him from the melee it'd seem odd. But of course she does not actually want to dissuade him from his death, thus preventing her from officially attending. We learn in the later books that Cersei has more than once disguised herself as a common maid to seek out Jamie. Is it possible Cersei is in fact the woman in the commons Jaime is tossing a kiss? I realize it is needlessly convoluted while making little different either way, but it is more in keeping with both Jaimes and Cersei characterization as I understand them.

Jaime's act does seem to fit with other actions we see at tourneys. They know what a spectator sport it is.

That's the thing we don't know, and because of that I'm crazy excited to read what Mr. Martin will do with this. But I think it would be easier for a dragon because, A) Fire B) Flight and C) FIRE!!! Lol at the same time if a dragon became a walker that would be *BOOM*

As far as we know, dragon fire is no different than ordinary fire, and that doesn't kill Others. Obsidian is called dragonglass but may not have anything at all to do with dragons, same with dragonsteel.

Jaime's act does seem to fit with other actions we see at tourneys. They know what a spectator sport it is.

Still, Jaime has no reason to play for the public. He is little loved, and loves them back even less. We have never seen him do a gallant act prior to his maiming, and the fact that it's stated that he blew a kiss to a specific woman, instead of to the general women present, makes it even more suspecious.

I have never though much on that passage, but I'm liking Xandrios' theory quite a lot.

Archived