Small Questions v 10022

Stubby

How did he get suspicious though, because he put Jon on to it.

It's not a small question. First we have to list the players at court snd consider motive and opportunity for each. Then we have to figure how it fits into the plot. The two obvious candidates are Varys and Littlefinger. I do think Varys intended to use the twincest to destabilize the realm but the conversation overheard by Arya suggests he was not ready to instigate such a crisis.

How did he get suspicious though, because he put Jon on to it.

I'm note sure if there's a quote in the books that indicates who became suspicious first, but Jon Arryn as Hand of the King, and Stannis as Master of Laws, practically rules the Seven Kingdoms. They sat on the Small Council together for 15 years. They knew each other and they knew what the other was worth.

I'm note sure if there's a quote in the books that indicates who became suspicious first, but Jon Arryn as Hand of the King, and Stannis as Master of Laws, practically rules the Seven Kingdoms. They sat on the Small Council together for 15 years. They knew each other and they knew what the other was worth.

And some more. Before that, they fought the war for Robert's Rebellion against the Targaryen Loyalists. Arryn took to campaigning, suffering great losses (though winning). Stannis held Storm's End through one year of siege and went for rather to starve than give in.

Even before that, Stannis' father Lord Steffon had been campaigning side-by-side with Jon Arryn in a number of war's and uprisings.

Stannis tells us in a conversation that he brought his suspicion to Jon because Robert would listen to Jon but not his brother.

“Were they your kin?” he [Jon] asked her [Ygritte] quietly. “The two we killed?”

“No more than you are.”

“Me?” He frowned. “What do you mean?”

“You said you were the Bastard o’ Winterfell.”

“I am.”

"Be that as it may, what’s certain is that Bael left the child in payment for the rose he’d plucked unasked, and that the boy grew to be the next Lord Stark. So there it is-you have Bael’s blood in you, same as me.”

Why does Ygritte think that she and the other two with her have the blood of Bael the Bard? Do they keep that sort of information?

Were they your kin? he [Jon] asked her [Ygritte] quietly. The two we killed?

No more than you are.

Me? He frowned. What do you mean?

You said you were the Bastard o Winterfell.

I am.

"Be that as it may, whats certain is that Bael left the child in payment for the rose hed plucked unasked, and that the boy grew to be the next Lord Stark. So there it is-you have Baels blood in you, same as me.

Why does Ygritte think that she and the other two with her have the blood of Bael the Bard? Do they keep that sort of information?

I think she was implying that Starks had wilding blood just like the two that Jon killed. I don't think she was suggesting that she or the other two were descendants of Bael.

I think she was implying that Starks had wilding blood just like the two that Jon killed. I don't think she was suggesting that she or the other two were descendants of Bael.

But it is known that both the wildlings and most of the northern people have the blood of the First Men. No need for a Bael connection to claim that they are some distant kins.

But it is known that both the wildlings and most of the northern people have the blood of the First Men. No need for a Bael connection to claim that they are some distant kins.

But that's the point that was being reinforced and learned by Jon. That wildings were "men" too.

Stannis tells us in a conversation that he brought his suspicion to Jon because Robert would listen to Jon but not his brother.

Alright, thank you, I couldn't remember if it was actually in the books in quote.

So it was Stannis who became suspicious at first, and went to Jon Arryn for help. That makes sense, since he would stand to gain the most from declaring Robert's children bastards. It would make him the next in line for the throne.

If Stannis doesn't put into words why he became suspicious, I doubt that we'll ever learn, unless it comes up in conversation in-book ever again.

@Jon Weirgaryen, Stannis and Jon Arryn most likely had fought together as well in the Greyjoy Rebellion, right?

Wildling blood is simply blood of the First Men. Men from the north have the blood of the First Men.

I think this one is it. The Bael story is just a legend, we don't know if it's true.

It's very simple. The people from the North and the wildlings are the same mostly if you look at blood alone. It was simply a matter of which side you were living at when the Wall in the North was made. From that moment on, distinctions were made, and people's norms and values changed.

Wildling blood is simply blood of the First Men. Men from the north have the blood of the First Men.

I think this one is it. The Bael story is just a legend, we don't know if it's true.

It's very simple. The people from the North and the wildlings are the same mostly if you look at blood alone. It was simply a matter of which side you were living at when the Wall in the North was made. From that moment on, distinctions were made, and people's norms and values changed.

And that's what Jon had to learn. The major plot line through Clash and Storm was how he learned to identify with the wildings. Almost like Pocahontas or Lt Dunbar he very nearly went native. Some must have believed he did.

Just read the Brienne and Quiet Isle chapter. Could anyone link me to Sandor Clegane theories or summaries. I want to know more about "The Hound" being dead but Sandor still living, Sandor vs. Ser Robert Strong, etc. Thanks.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/97754-are-we-sure-the-hound-is-still-alive/

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/60808-the-gravedigging-hound-complete-analysis/

Archived