Small Questions v 10022

Stubby

Will we ever get to Sothoros or the Night Lands or Assahai?

And do you think we will ever find out what caused the Doom of Valariya?

what caused the doom of valyria?? who knows... itll probably stay that way. GRRM most likely doing the whole " mysterious disappearance of dinosaurs from planet Earth" scenario with Valyria so we will most likely no fin out... a bummer

Not counting JH's three, four. Stable boy, Mummer's squire, Dareon, old man in Braavos

Could potentially be even more. She was in a battle at the holdfast in which she used Needle, its highly likepy she killed someone there. I assume Mummer's squire is the Mountain's squire with the Tickler? Oh and also, add the Tickler to the list :)

I'm going to make a site about ASOIAF, but I was afraid of violating copyright. Should I put just a note in the site saying that all the intellectual property is property of GRRM and HBO? Is it just that, or should I do something else?

As far as I know, fan sites are acceptable use as long as you don't directly post copyrighted materials. So you couldn't post things like very long passages out of the books or gift chapters released by GRRM (which I don't assume you intend to do anyway), though you would be allowed to summarize and discuss content, and certainly could link to released chapters and other sites. GRRM personally isn't into fan fiction or people writing original content set in his universe, so best to avoid hosting that type of content. Otherwise you should be okay in terms of compliance with copyright laws pertaining to the books.

Images from the HBO show are perhaps not so black and white (ha ha). Technically I believe they are copyrighted material but there's a wide degree of leeway in determining fair use. Tons of fan sites exist using images from popular tv shows and movies. Generally this is tolerated as long as credit for the images is given to their owners, either in the caption of each image or as a blanket statement that is easily found on each page of the site - something like "All images are courtesy of HBO." Usually this is adequate. If for whatever reason HBO does take exception to your use of images, you'll receive a cease and desist letter. This very rarely happens to non-commercial fan sites.

Good luck with the site!

I'm sure we'll find out in later Dunk and Egg stories, or possibly even the Worldbook that will hopefully be out sometime this year. I doubt it's anyone we've met yet.

It will probably be some of the spoiler info that gets hidden in the World Book. Else it would spoil future D&Es. Perhaps a Tarth? :)

(And sorry for the late reply, comp probs)

It will probably be some of the spoiler info that gets hidden in the World Book. Else it would spoil future D&Es. Perhaps a Tarth? :)

(And sorry for the late reply, comp probs)

Well, the name itself might not be too big a spoiler. But perhaps whatever said Hand did during Egg's reign might be considered a spoiler that will be blocked out by an unfortunate ink stain or something like that.

Well, the name itself might not be too big a spoiler. But perhaps whatever said Hand did during Egg's reign might be considered a spoiler that will be blocked out by an unfortunate ink stain or something like that.

True, we'll probably get a name and nothing else, and it will probably be a name that makes us all the more desperate for more D&E.(Or maybe that's just me) :)

what caused the doom of valyria?? who knows... itll probably stay that way. GRRM most likely doing the whole " mysterious disappearance of dinosaurs from planet Earth" scenario with Valyria so we will most likely no fin out... a bummer

Unless we're told otherwise I'm assuming the volcanoes simply blew.

If Azor Ahai was responsible for ending the Long Night, why isn't he mentioned in Westerosi tales of the Long Night? I could be mistaken, but I thought AA was a tale from the East.

Did AA end the long night or was he an ancient hero who is expected to be reincarnated to fight the coming darkness?

If Azor Ahai was responsible for ending the Long Night, why isn't he mentioned in Westerosi tales of the Long Night? I could be mistaken, but I thought AA was a tale from the East.

Some think that Old Nan's Last Hero was the same as AA.

The wiki says he defeated the Others during the Long Night and is prophesied to be reborn. I know the wiki isn't definitive. I am nowhere near this far into my current reread.

"In ancient books of Asshai it is written that there will come a day after a long summer when the stars bleed and the cold breath of darkness falls heavy on the world. In this dread hour a warrior shall draw from the fire a burning sword. And that sword shall be Lightbringer, the Red Sword of Heroes, and he who clasps it shall be Azor Ahai come again, and the darkness shall flee before him."--Here, as Melisandre has the queen's men burn the images of the Seven on Dragonstone, there is no confirmation that Azor Ahai played a role in ending the Long Night. What we know from this passage is that AA was an ancient hero who will come again to battle darkness following a long summer with a sword called Lightbringer.

Are there any passages in the books stating that the original AA was involved in the ending the Long Night?

Are there any passages in the books stating that the original AA was involved in the ending the Long Night?

Melisandre thinks so in ADwD Chapter 10 Jon III (no need to read it all: everything beyond the 3d line is just colouring):

"The Horn of Joramun?" Melisandre said. "No. Call it the Horn of Darkness. If the Wall falls, night falls as well, the long night that never ends. It must not happen, will not happen! The Lord of Light has seen his children in their peril and sent a champion to them, Azor Ahai reborn." She swept a hand toward Stannis, and the great ruby at her throat pulsed with light. He is stone and she is flame. The king's eyes were blue bruises, sunk deep in a hollow face. He wore grey plate, a fur-trimmed cloak of cloth-of-gold flowing from his broad shoulders. His breastplate had a flaming heart inlaid above his own. Girding his brows was a red-gold crown with points like twisting flames. Val stood beside him, tall and fair. They had crowned her with a simple circlet of dark bronze, yet she looked more regal in bronze than Stannis did in gold. Her eyes were grey and fearless, unflinching. Beneath an ermine cloak, she wore white and gold. Her honey-blond hair had been done up in a thick braid that hung over her right shoulder to her waist. The chill in the air had put color in her cheeks. Lady Melisandre wore no crown, but every man there knew that she was Stannis Baratheon's real queen, not the homely woman he had left to shiver at Eastwatch-by-the-Sea. Talk was, the king did not mean to send for Queen Selyse and their daughter until the Nightfort was ready for habitation. Jon felt sorry for them. The Wall offered few of the comforts that southron ladies and little highborn girls were used to, and the Night-fort offered none. That was a grim place, even at the best of times.

Archived