Small Questions v 10022

Stubby

Melisandre thinks so in ADwD Chapter 10 Jon III (no need to read it all: everything beyond the 3d line is just colouring):

But here she says AA will come again as AAR to prevent the Wall from falling and keep the long night at bay. Again she fails to tell us that the original (mythical?) AA was involved in ending the Long Night that kept the world or at least Westeros in darkness for ... How long did Old Nan tell us it lasted?

But here she says AA will come again as AAR to prevent the Wall from falling and keep the long night at bay. Again she fails to tell us that the original (mythical?) AA was involved in ending the Long Night that kept the world or at least Westeros in darkness for ... How long did Old Nan tell us it lasted?

You are right of course.

AGot C 24 Bran IV:

"The Others," Old Nan agreed. "Thousands and thousands of years ago, a winter fell that was cold and hard and endless beyond all memory of man. There came a night that lasted a generation, and kings shivered and died in their castles even as the swineherds in their hovels. Women smothered their children rather than see them starve, and cried, and felt their tears freeze on their cheeks." Her voice and her needles fell silent, and she glanced up at Bran with pale, filmy eyes and asked, "So, child. This is the sort of story you like?"

Was that winter so much longer than that night, that lasted a generation?

I had assumed they were the same, but now I think I was wrong.

What religion did the dragon lords practice in ancient Valyria?

Non currently practised in Westeros unless I am much mistaken. I seem to remember that Balerion, Vhagar and Meraxes were the names of Valyrian deities and that was why Aegon's dragons were named so. Of course I may be wrong, but I think I read it on the "World" reading excerpt

You are right of course.

AGot C 24 Bran IV:

Was that winter so much longer than that night, that lasted a generation?

I had assumed they were the same, but now I think I was wrong.

Yes Old Nan actually tells us that a very long winter, possibly the event that threw off the seasons, was followed by the Long Night, which lasted a generation.

Can someone explain to me why Lyanna Mormont said in her letter that Mormonts will not bend their knee unless it is to a Stark, and a few chapters later her sister joins Stannis ?

What is going on and who in hell is calling the shots there?

Timing wise, Alysane joins Stannis much later, after Deepwood Motte is retaken by Stannis. The Mormonts might have seen this as proof that Stannis was truly vested in helping the North.

Also, in between the two events, the Mormont's on Bear Island might have heard from their mother, Maege, with more or different or specific instructions.

Who are considered a highborn and lowborn? Are all nobles no matter how small/petty considered highborns? What about landed knights?

Yes, although there are degrees of "highborness". For example, although there were both noble-born, Littlefinger was considered not highborn enough to marry Catelyn.

Are noble/royal bastards considered highborn?

Depends whether they are recognized and legitimized. While Daemon Blackfyre and Edric Storm are recognized as "official" royal bastards, e.g. Gendry or Bella aren't.

what books are the dunk and egg stories included in?

Legends, Legends II, and Warriors. They are must reads in my opinion because they tie directly to the current series and are loaded with major clues. Thy are not long and you should have no problem reading them in a day or two.

Baseborn is between unwed commoners and Bastard Born involves a noble.IIRC

I don't think that's quite right. I would think baseborn would refer to a son a of a noble and a commoner, but it actually seems to just be another word for bastard born.

Law and custom gave the baseborn few rights. Gendry, the girl in the Vale, the boy at Storm’s End, none of them could threaten Robert’s trueborn children...

of course the boy at Storm's End had a noble mother.

Edit: another quote indicating that Edrick is "baseborn" despite his noble parents on both sides.

Edmure looked at her curiously. “Stannis has sworn that the garrison might go free, unharmed, provided they yield the castle within the fortnight and deliver the boy into his hands, but Ser Cortnay will not consent.”

He risks all for a baseborn boy whose blood is not even his own, Catelyn thought. “Did you send him an answer?”

Edmure shook his head.

I don't think that's quite right. I would think baseborn would refer to a son a of a noble and a commoner, but it actually seems to just be another word for bastard born.

of course the boy at Storm's End had a noble mother.

Edit: another quote indicating that Edrick is "baseborn" despite his noble parents on both sides.

You're right, I was misremembering something from Dunk:

Dunk had heard such talk before. Aegon the Unworthy had bedded half the maidens in the realm and fathered bastards on the lot of them, supposedly.

Worse, the old king hadlegitimized them all upon his deathbed; the baseborn ones born of tavern wenches, whores, and shepherd girls, and the Great Bastards

whose mothers had been highborn. "We'd all be bastard sons of old King Aegon if half these tales were true."

And:

"Bastard born, not baseborn." Bloodraven had been born on the wrong side of the blanket, but he was noble on both sides. Dunk was about to tell Egg

about the men he'd overhead when he noticed his face. "What happened to your lip?"

I guess if neither one are noble you're just a bastard, plain and simple.

Archived