Small Questions v 10022

Stubby

Mance says he had seen Jon Snow twice. Once when Jon was a baby when he was with an envoy of the watch. So he wasn't the other bard unless he left out something in his tales.

But that's two! Once when he was still a brother of the watch, and he ran into Jon and Robb building something with snow to push onto someone. And once disguised as a singer, when King Robert came to visit Winterfell.

And of course, now he has visited Winterfell a third time disguised as a bard named Bael :)

The singer Sansa was talking about was just a random singer, who had stayed at Winterfell for six months before travelling on. It wasn't Mance.

Edit: where you might be mistaken, the time Sansa is talking about, isn't the visit of King Robert. She mentions that, even though Ned had promised that another singer would visit them, no singer had come for some years.

I don't think it was someone trusted greatly, the message was hidden in the box remember. This person probably just thought they were delivering a lens to the maester of Winterfell.

If you were delivering something (and I'd think lens' would be quite expensive), surely you'd give it to someone, not just leave it for the maester to find?

I had thought about Littlefinger who I think is a very interesting character.

Did LF think Robb Stark was his son? Crackpot! I know! Could this be why he told Ned to marry Robb to Myrcella and forget about trying to take the throne from Joffrey?

Perhaps he knows/thinks Sweet Robin is his son too?

Did LF think Robb Stark was his son? Crackpot! I know! Could this be why he told Ned to marry Robb to Myrcella and forget about trying to take the throne from Joffrey?

Even LF is smart enough to figure out that Robb can't possibly be his son. LF left Riverrun before Brandon died and Cat wed Ned, and Robb was born 9 months after the wedding. LF was Master of Coin. He knows how to count :)

However, the idea of Sweetrobin being LF's son could be a possibility, though perhaps Lysa would have said something about that during her mental breakdown, right before her death, if that really was the case.

The timeline doesn't fit for him to think such a thing. He supposedly (we know he didn't) slept with Cat much before Robb was conceived.

As for Sweetrobin, definitely a possibility. As for Rhaenys' remark above - I don't think that Lysa knew for sure either. I think he might be LF's son, but neither us nor him will ever find out for sure. That's my take.

If you were delivering something (and I'd think lens' would be quite expensive), surely you'd give it to someone, not just leave it for the maester to find?

Yeah I guess, unless you were instructed to just leave it. I doubt the person was anyone important, and I really doubt they knew about the hidden message.

We know that the Tyrells are fond of floral names - Margery, Garlan, Olenna. Do Loras' and Mace's names have some floral basis, too? I admit that flowers, spices and herbs in English are not my strongest linguistic trait.

Olenna wasnt born a Tyrell, she was born a Redwyne. I suppose "floral" names might be quite common in the Reach, rather than just Tyrells. Remember you have Oakheart, Rowan, and the name Flowers for Bastards. Icant think of any flowers or herbs that bring to mind Loras Mace or Willas, but I'm not an expert. Also, how is Olenna related to flowers?

Olenna wasnt born a Tyrell, she was born a Redwyne. I suppose "floral" names might be quite common in the Reach, rather than just Tyrells. Remember you have Oakheart, Rowan, and the name Flowers for Bastards. Icant think of any flowers or herbs that bring to mind Loras Mace or Willas, but I'm not an expert. Also, how is Olenna related to flowers?

Yeah, you're right, it's a Reach thing. Probably from back when the kings of the Reach were the Gardeners.

As for Olenna - I always thought it was derived from Oleander. Which is poisonous by the way :)

We know that the Tyrells are fond of floral names - Margery, Garlan, Olenna. Do Loras' and Mace's names have some floral basis, too? I admit that flowers, spices and herbs in English are not my strongest linguistic trait.

Mace is a spice, it is wrapped around nutmeg seeds.

Oh my, how apt. Olenna is named for a poisonous plant :P Am I right in thinking Margery = marjoram and Garlan was a reference to a Garland then?

Garlan is garland methinks, yes, as for Margery - in many languages, including my native one (Bulgarian) Margarita (or similar, as per the specific language) is the name of the flower daisy.

ETA: Thanks for the mace clarification, guys!

Archived