Small Questions v 10022

Stubby

What is it called when many different religions, in different cultures, scattered all over a world have the same basic premise and there stories all explain the same question with a similar archetype? Is it Fruedism or something like that?

Do you mean like in RL how some religions have the basic; there is one god? I dont think thats Freudism, didnt Freud say God(s) are something people have made to help them cope?

Do you mean like in RL how some religions have the basic; there is one god? I dont think thats Freudism, didnt Freud say God(s) are something people have made to help them cope?

Right, it's definitely not Freudian. Freud believed in the tabula rasa which inherently denies the existence of archetypes, making him more or less the opposite of Carl Jung, who rejected tabula rasa outright.

GYea I was referring to real life. I know Frued had something to do with religions and archetypes, just didn't realize he was the opposite theory of what I was trying to say.

Lady M pointed that out for me. My personal opinion is that GRRM got some of his ideas of tPtwP and AA and the Last Hero from Carl Jung. What do you guys think about it? It would explain how a lot of the ancient histories are linked without actually being linked.

All married women in Westeros can be referred to either by their birth House name or by their husband's House name. They don't officially change their name, because they don't have ID cards or something like that.

Look at Catelyn, for example. She is usually called Lady Stark, but she considers herself a Tully and sometimes she is still called Catelyn Tully, especially in the Riverlands. Same goes for Lysa Tully/Arryn, Olenna Redwyne/Tyrell etc. Cersei is very proud of her own House and she despises the Baratheons, that's why she is basically never called Cersei Baratheon.

GYea I was referring to real life. I know Frued had something to do with religions and archetypes, just didn't realize he was the opposite theory of what I was trying to say.

Lady M pointed that out for me. My personal opinion is that GRRM got some of his ideas of tPtwP and AA and the Last Hero from Carl Jung. What do you guys think about it? It would explain how a lot of the ancient histories are linked without actually being linked.

I agree that it certainly appears as if all those stories could be variations of a single archetypal figure or motif. That discussion is far from the realm of small questions though ;)

He already remembers in ACoK:

ACoK C 16 Bran II:

"Fly or die!" cried the three-eyed crow as it pecked at him. He wept and pleaded but the crow had no pity. It put out his left eye and then his right, and when he was blind in the dark it pecked at his brow, driving its terrible sharp beak deep into his skull. He screamed until he was certain his lungs must burst. The pain was an axe splitting his head apart, but when the crow wrenched out its beak all slimy with bits of bone and brain, Bran could see again. What he saw made him gasp in fear. He was clinging to a tower miles high, and his fingers were slipping, nails scrabbling at the stone, his legs dragging him down, stupid useless dead legs. "Help me!" he cried. A golden man appeared in the sky above him and pulled him up. "The things I do for love," he murmured softly as he tossed him out kicking into empty air.

ACoK C 28 Bran IV:

The godswood grew quiet. Bran could hear leaves rustling, and Hodor's distant splashing from the hot pools. He thought of the golden man and the three-eyed crow, remembered the crunch of bones between his jaws and the coppery taste of blood. "I don't have dreams. Maester Luwin gives me sleeping draughts."

and once more ACoK C 28 Bran IV:

The falling, Bran thought, and the golden man, the queen's brother, he scares me too, but mostly the falling. He did not say it, though. How could he? He had not been able to tell Ser Rodrik or Maester Luwin, and he could not tell the Reeds either. If he didn't talk about it, maybe he would forget. He had never wanted to remember. It might not even be a true remembering.

So he remembers. I don't expect him doing much about it, except if Jaime was actually going to meet Lady Stoneheart in a weirwood grove or in the presence of ravens. Because then I'd expect Bran to call -- or to quork about it.

The day of King Joffrey I Baratheon to Margaery Tyrell is given as 300-01-01T.

Is this the only absolute date given in ASOIAF (disregarding TPaTQ)?

Joffrey and Margaery's wedding date has several times been mentioned to be the first day of the year 300 AC. So yes, 300 - 01- 01 (I don't know what the T in your post stands for though).

Off hand, yes. I cant think of any other date given as an exact.

In tPatQ the death days of several members of the Targaryen family are mentioned by exact date (like King Viserys I, who died on the third day of the third moon in the year 129AC). For Aemond, Daemon and Rhaenyra exact dates are given as well. There might be others that I'm not recalling right now.

The app confirms several things that aren't in the books or in SSM's. I was wondering, can multiple people edit it? Like the wiki, for example? Because the wiki contains wrong information, only because everybody with an account and a minimum of three posts can edit it.

Is it the same for the app, or can only a select few people who are in contact with GRRM edit the app?

The app is (I assume) only updated by those who created it, as with other apps. Which is why incorrect information or mistakes may remain there for so long. Ran mentioned that an update to the app is due soon i think. Thats my understanding based on other apps, but I must admit I havent yet caved and bought the Ice and fire app

The app confirms several things that aren't in the books or in SSM's. I was wondering, can multiple people edit it? Like the wiki, for example? Because the wiki contains wrong information, only because everybody with an account and a minimum of three posts can edit it.

Is it the same for the app, or can only a select few people who are in contact with GRRM edit the app?

The app was written by Ran and Linda, published by Random House. As far as I know no one can edit it, it has been updated with corrections and new material by Ran, Linda and the RH team. Word is that GRRM has had input in the review process, though I don't think that has ever been defined.

It's not editable, at least mine isn't(finally got it :D) It's basically just a small encyclopedia of sorts and you have to buy the update for each of the books, which still only came out to about 5 bucks(US anyway) Also for those who want the app but don't have an app device, there is android software for windows, you still have to pay for the apps but you don't have to buy a phone for it.

Archived